Historic Catholic marker deemed 'racist symbol' removed by University of California Santa Cruz

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

A university in California removed a historical symbol from its campus Friday in an effort to be “more inclusive” after a years-long campaign by Native American community members argued the marker highlighted a period of racism in the state.

The El Camino Real Bell was removed from the University of California Santa Cruz after administrators had several discussions with members of the Amah Mutsun Tribal Band and other community members who felt that the bell marker glorified a period of time when Spanish missionaries dehumanized their ancestors and culture and enslaved those who converted to Christianity.

Vice Chancellor of Business and Administrative Services Sarah Latham said the school moved forward with the removal "in support of efforts to be more inclusive.”
https://www.foxnews.com/us/university-o ... ist-symbol
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

In that case, St Augustine, Florida is fucked. There's such reminders from one end of the city to the other. I'm not sure what tribal wars went on in Florida when the Spanish arrived. I think Spain had more of a beef with England and France. I'm just saying Catholicism is everywhere there.
morgan
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slavery and war and claiming land is how the world was built. If you want to erase everything that offends you in history, then we might as well nuke the entire planet.
Then we will finally all be equal! Equally dead.
KAG
Mean Girl
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

morgan wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:01 am Slavery and war and claiming land is how the world was built. If you want to erase everything that offends you in history, then we might as well nuke the entire planet.
Agree.
Deleted User 1018

Unread post

New Mexico is chock full of "racist" symbols, but there would be bigger fight as there is a larger Spanish population here.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

morgan wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:01 am Slavery and war and claiming land is how the world was built. If you want to erase everything that offends you in history, then we might as well nuke the entire planet.
And amazingly, some would call that progress.

We are going down a wrong road lately, trying to erase everything that offends any group (other than white Christian) of people. How the hell are we to teach our children and grandchildren and their grandchildren if we have nothing to remember anything? I would not be surprised if we didn't end up in another civil war because we have few reminders of the first one left. No one will be able to "see" the people and the places. A museum is fine and all, but it is not the same as the actual site, the memorials, the statues, the plaques in place.... I'm afraid our sense and understanding of history will be more lost than what it is now, and it's pretty far gone now, imo.
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:05 am In that case, St Augustine, Florida is fucked. There's such reminders from one end of the city to the other. I'm not sure what tribal wars went on in Florida when the Spanish arrived. I think Spain had more of a beef with England and France. I'm just saying Catholicism is everywhere there.
Which reminders are you talking about?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Mommabearof2
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I'm just grateful that our judges in Maryland voted to allow Pete's Cross to stay. Everyone I know that grew up in this area wanted it to stay but a few outsiders decided it was offensive.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:58 am
Pjmm wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:05 am In that case, St Augustine, Florida is fucked. There's such reminders from one end of the city to the other. I'm not sure what tribal wars went on in Florida when the Spanish arrived. I think Spain had more of a beef with England and France. I'm just saying Catholicism is everywhere there.
Which reminders are you talking about?
The fort. The Greek shrine. The Catholic church itself. I don't know if any of this is particularly disturbing to native Americans in Florida but the Spanish surely weren't particularly kind to them. I guess the college can remove a bell if it likes but all in all bad things happened. We shouldn't glorify those things. But on the other hand we have to admit mans inhumanity to man.
I'm waiting for the day someone wants to dynamite Stone Mountain in Georgia. I assume it's only a matter of time.
Deleted User 1344

Unread post

I’ve always thought that the statues of the famous fighters for the south who fought in the civil war to keep slavery should all be put into a gallery together and described truthfully as racist slave owners who believed that blacks were so inferior that they needed to remain slaves with owners who could control them.
That’s the truth and it would be so valuable to let youngsters know exactly how horrible and evil those famous military men were !
It could teach them lessons in how not to live , how to avoid being evil.
Keep all Memorials, all statues. Let them be important lessons for the future adults who are now in school.
You know what they say about the past! Those who forget the past are condemned to to repeat it.
We don’t want a repeat of slavery, the Salem Witchcraft Trials , Hitler’s “final solution “ of killing millions of Jews, the all-out effort to kill blacks in the south in the 1950’s, 1960’s, segregation....

( and the latest move by despicable people to discriminate and who have hatred toward gays , lesbians....but that’s another issue and there are no statues or memorials, just social media crap)
Etc
Remember it! All of it .
Locked Previous topicNext topic