Does Anyone Remember Melissa Brannen?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

It's just a sad story all around. Hughes has never admitted to the crime or revealed what he did with the body. That sick bastard got parole because he was sentenced in 1991 and it wasn't until 1995 when parole was abolished. That little girl has been on my mind a lot recently too.

Melissa Brannen’s abductor, Caleb Hughes, will be freed from prison after 29 years

By Tom Jackman April 19 at 12:24 PM

If you lived in the Washington area in 1989, you remember 5-year-old Melissa Brannen. Starting in the Christmas season, she was repeatedly shown on the local news singing “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” in a home video, as hundreds of police and volunteers scoured southern Fairfax County, Va., looking for her. At a Christmas party with her mother on Dec. 3, 1989, Melissa suddenly vanished. She has never been found.

As the searches continued, the name of a suspect quickly surfaced: Caleb D. Hughes, then a 23-year-old groundskeeper at the Lorton, Va., apartment complex where Melissa lived with her mother, Tammy Brannen. After a year of intense forensic examination by the FBI and Fairfax County police, Hughes was arrested and charged with abduction with the intent to defile. In March 1991, a jury convicted Hughes and sentenced him to 50 years in prison, on top of a four-year sentence he was serving for auto theft.

As the searches continued, the name of a suspect quickly surfaced: Caleb D. Hughes, then a 23-year-old groundskeeper at the Lorton, Va., apartment complex where Melissa lived with her mother, Tammy Brannen. After a year of intense forensic examination by the FBI and Fairfax County police, Hughes was arrested and charged with abduction with the intent to defile. In March 1991, a jury convicted Hughes and sentenced him to 50 years in prison, on top of a four-year sentence he was serving for auto theft.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/crime-la ... 7759f498a3
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I wasn't living here then but I remember a couple years ago when he was rejected for parole. I hadn't read the entire story until now. Very sad.

I'd like to think people are good at heart and after all this time and him serving his sentence that he'd share the story and location of her body so the mom has closure. But not all people are really good at heart.
“You’re either on drugs or retarded.
Nobody posts the crap you post unless they’re abnormal.” - derp
Deleted User 670

Unread post

KnotaDinghy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:55 pm I wasn't living here then but I remember a couple years ago when he was rejected for parole. I hadn't read the entire story until now. Very sad.

I'd like to think people are good at heart and after all this time and him serving his sentence that he'd share the story and location of her body so the mom has closure. But not all people are really good at heart.
My niece was born that November, so that was a topic on the news up there when I would visit. I just cannot imagine what that family has gone through all this time. To have lost a child and 30 years later still not know what happened or where her body was dumped. I was living up there when Sophia Silva and Kirstin and Katie Lisk were murdered in 1996 and 1997. I was pregnant with my daughter when the Lisk sisters were killed. Man, that kinda shit scares the ever-loving daylights out of you and makes you hyper-vigilant. It's no wonder every mom in my townhouse subdivision was outside watching their kids and making sure they didn't leave their sight while playing.
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:31 pm
KnotaDinghy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:55 pm I wasn't living here then but I remember a couple years ago when he was rejected for parole. I hadn't read the entire story until now. Very sad.

My niece was born that November, so that was a topic on the news up there when I would visit. I just cannot imagine what that family has gone through all this time. To have lost a child and 30 years later still not know what happened or where her body was dumped. I was living up there when Sophia Silva and Kirstin and Katie Lisk were murdered in 1996 and 1997. I was pregnant with my daughter when the Lisk sisters were killed. Man, that kinda shit scares the ever-loving daylights out of you and makes you hyper-vigilant. It's no wonder every mom in my townhouse subdivision was outside watching their kids and making sure they didn't leave their sight while playing.
definitely when a horrific crime happens and you can relate even a little it makes it that much more impactful and memorable.
“You’re either on drugs or retarded.
Nobody posts the crap you post unless they’re abnormal.” - derp
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I haven’t heard about it but very sad. 😢
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I've never heard of the case. I was a junior in HS so I didn't really pay attention to the news back then since I was never home to watch it. That is very sad. That poor mother not having any closure at all.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Billie.jeens
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Remember her? ?
Never heard of her.
“Modern journalism is all about deciding which facts the public shouldn’t know because they might reflect badly on Democrats."
hockeymom87
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Never heard of her. I was 4 in 91 though.
Locked Previous topicNext topic