Warren calls for the elimination of the Electoral College

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Libbylu2
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Sen. Elizabeth Warren calls for getting rid of the Electoral College system

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 209620002/
There are other issues discussed in this article .
(plus an explanation of the Electoral College in case anyone needs an accurate description of how it works.)
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Oh yes, let’s do that so NYC, LA, and other large liberal cities elect the president while fly over country has no say. SMH
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:18 am Oh yes, let’s do that so NYC, LA, and other large liberal cities elect the president while fly over country has no say. SMH
We would no longer be a democracy. Warren is an idiot.
Deleted User 1018

Unread post

We need the electoral college. I dont want states like California or New York speaking for me. However, they can take some electoral votes away from California.
Deleted User 276

Unread post

I'm old enough to remember when Republicans wanted to get rid of the EC
Billie.jeens
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

msb64 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:02 am I'm old enough to remember when Republicans wanted to get rid of the EC
That's true -

And the Democrats were euphoric over the idea of the Big Blue Wall.
Right up until they ran an unelectable candidate in a system where they were actually advantaged.
“Modern journalism is all about deciding which facts the public shouldn’t know because they might reflect badly on Democrats."
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Being able to also vote in a country where each vote counts directly, I can see her point. When I vote in America, I feel my vote is wasted unless I vote like the majority of my state. When I vote in Mexico, I feel my vote counted and wasn’t just dismissed because more people in my state voted differently. It sort of feels annulled for me, as if my vote was pointless. So I think the EC encourages absenteeism. And ultimately, it can happen as it did with Trump, Americans can have a president that the majority of the population doesn’t want.
The EC also gives value to states, so that candidates don’t focus their efforts in all of the population, but rather focus on the states they think they can sway to their side and just pass by on those that are a sure win and ignore those that are a sure loss.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Billie.jeens
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

jas wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:31 am
DSamuels wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:18 am Oh yes, let’s do that so NYC, LA, and other large liberal cities elect the president while fly over country has no say. SMH
We are not a Democracy - by design.
Warren is certainly misguided in most areas of thought.

We are a Representative Republic where the majority gets to govern while respecting the minorities right.

A true Democracy is mob rule - it's not a trivial distinction.

Democracy - 2 fox and a chicken decide what is for dinner - spoiler alert -it's chicken.
Representative Republic 1 of the fox and the 1 chicken vote on what's for dinner they decide that it is eggs. everyone gets to eat, no one's rights (or Life) gets extinguished.
“Modern journalism is all about deciding which facts the public shouldn’t know because they might reflect badly on Democrats."
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Sure and scrap the entire Constitution while they are at it. Some of the democrats have really lost their minds. She isn't going to get the nomination, she has been defeated before she started to run.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

jas wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:31 am
Yes, she is!
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
Locked Previous topicNext topic