Amazon opts out of building New York City headquarters

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Lexy wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:28 am
msb64 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:17 am
Carpy wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:08 am
25,000 jobs at $150,000 average salary, 10 billion in tax revenue- 3 billion in subsidies. Net gain I 7 billion for NY. Not to mention the net effect to surrounding business.
Is there really a gain? There are a ton of tech jobs in NYC (NY's fastest growing sector) so Amazon has three choices when hiring, poach, hire outside of state, hire foreign workers. Poaching is the most cost effective. So if an IT person moves from JP Morgan to Amazon, Amazon gets there $48,000 but NYC doesn't get a change in tax revenue.

People don't like to commute, so there probably would be an increase is demand for housing in Queens but currently that is predominantly zoned single family residences and currently that housing is relatively inexpensive. In order to accommodate the "new" employees, Queens would have to rezone that area to allow for cluster housing/high rise. They would also have to invest in the schools, transportation, road ways, etc.

I don't know if it would have been worth it or not but I just wanted to point out that it's not as simplistic as the numbers you posted above.
People from Brooklyn, the Bronx, Long Island, Westchester County, Rockland County and Manhattan will commute to Queens. That is a lot of people that lost an opportunity.
Queens residents don't want it! The subway is already a disaster, no room for all those people coming in. I love how all the rural people are piping up about how great it would be. How about volunteering your neighborhood?
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:41 pm

Is there really a gain? There are a ton of tech jobs in NYC (NY's fastest growing sector) so Amazon has three choices when hiring, poach, hire outside of state, hire foreign workers. Poaching is the most cost effective. So if an IT person moves from JP Morgan to Amazon, Amazon gets there $48,000 but NYC doesn't get a change in tax revenue.

People don't like to commute, so there probably would be an increase is demand for housing in Queens but currently that is predominantly zoned single family residences and currently that housing is relatively inexpensive. In order to accommodate the "new" employees, Queens would have to rezone that area to allow for cluster housing/high rise. They would also have to invest in the schools, transportation, road ways, etc.

I don't know if it would have been worth it or not but I just wanted to point out that it's not as simplistic as the numbers you posted above.
People from Brooklyn, the Bronx, Long Island, Westchester County, Rockland County and Manhattan will commute to Queens. That is a lot of people that lost an opportunity.
Queens residents don't want it! The subway is already a disaster, no room for all those people coming in. I love how all the rural people are piping up about how great it would be. How about volunteering your neighborhood?
Westchester and Rockland Countities are not rural. I would love for Amazon to move here.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

There's a lot of abandoned real estate. If it's not Amazon - it'll be someone else. Going to still scream and cry when it's someone less popular than Amazon?
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

jas wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:57 pm

There's a lot of abandoned real estate. If it's not Amazon - it'll be someone else. Going to still scream and cry when it's someone less popular than Amazon?
There's a real estate boom in Long Island City right now. They need to find businesses who aren't looking for a massive handout. It's prime real estate. And not one who will change the landscape in a negative way.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:56 am
Billie.jeens wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:36 am
Carpy wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:08 am
25,000 jobs at $150,000 average salary, 10 billion in tax revenue- 3 billion in subsidies. Net gain I 7 billion for NY. Not to mention the net effect to surrounding business.

How does that punish wealthy people?
I'm not sure. Ask the AOC supporters who think NYC was writing Amazon a check.
Again, you didn't explain how getting $3 billion in subsidies is any better than actually writing a check.

I'll give you an example in case you don't understand. Say a company hires you and you make $100,00 per year. They ask you if you will work for the first year free. When you complain they say at least they aren't asking for a $100,000 check instead.
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:27 pm
Billie.jeens wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:36 am

How does that punish wealthy people?
Again, you didn't explain how getting $3 billion in subsidies is any better than actually writing a check.

I'll give you an example in case you don't understand. Say a company hires you and you make $100,00 per year. They ask you if you will work for the first year free. When you complain they say at least they aren't asking for a $100,000 check instead.
That was about as senseless as it comes.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:38 pm

You have yet to explain the difference. How do you think a $3 billion dollars handout is any different than "writing a check"? It's $3 billion dollars that the city and state should have been receiving and weren't going to. If the city/state had actually written them a check then Amazon wouldn't have received the tax break. Either way is the same loss to the state/city.
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:56 pm

You have yet to explain the difference. How do you think a $3 billion dollars handout is any different than "writing a check"? It's $3 billion dollars that the city and state should have been receiving and weren't going to. If the city/state had actually written them a check then Amazon wouldn't have received the tax break. Either way is the same loss to the state/city.
Honestly, if you don't comprehend the difference it's hopeless you ever will.
A better comparison would be, if you are unemployed and offered a job paying 17 billion a year. You can go up to 20 billion in 10 years. Would you say "no, I want 20 billion to start"?
Billie.jeens
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:56 pm

There’s no handout involved
None
“Modern journalism is all about deciding which facts the public shouldn’t know because they might reflect badly on Democrats."
Billie.jeens
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

City -
Hey business invest in us
Put our citizens to work
Right now they are a financial negative
Working they will be a positive
All will be well

Normal people - that's a great idea

Parasitic class - how does that punish wealthy people and investors?
“Modern journalism is all about deciding which facts the public shouldn’t know because they might reflect badly on Democrats."
Locked Previous topicNext topic