Chris Pratt responds to Ellen Page's criticism of his church on LGBTQ issues, says its members 'open their doors to all.

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 276

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:58 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:48 pm
Libbylu2 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:03 pm

He isn’t from a wealthy background. He was born in northern Minnesota. He was homeless for quite a while and lived in his van .
After he finally started working in show business, he could afford to live in an actual dwelling.
I am not a believer in organized religion - this church is one reason why.
But I wouldn’t label Chris as “ Ignorant in his rich white privilege”. He earned his fame.
Doesn't matter. The church sees him as a wealthy celebrity and it is his white privilege that makes him say his church welcomes everyone when that's obviously not the case and if he was some average blue collar joe who was a member of the church and got divorced, the church would treat him differently. He doesn't realize it because he's naive.
What is his church? All I'm familiar with is Roman Catholics. They aren't going to care how rich you are if you don't annul your marriage-idk the procedure- you're not remarrying in the church. And they welcome everyone but consider us all sinners. Homosexual practices are a sin far as I know.
This is Chris Pratt's church:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/S*x-abuse ... h-hillsong
Deleted User 276

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:07 pm
msb64 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:58 pm
Pjmm wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:52 pm

Idk crap about where Pratt goes. But I'd say his views are mine. I'm Catholic. I don't agree with a lot of what the Vatican says. I'm divorced and can't remarry it in because i refuse to get an annulment. I use birth control. I don't agree homosexuality is a sin. It's why I don't go but I've not found a church that fits me better. So i still identify as Catholic. If someone wants to criticize that it's fine. I wouldn't say criticism is intolerance. Intolerance to me means you just burned the local mosque because you hate Islam. Criticism is when you politely write- can't think of the word- you disagree and worry about Jihad. Holy war.
My husband is Episcopalean. It sounds like it may be a good fit for you :)
I have been. The one I went to was overly friendly towards me. I kind of hate being noticed as a visitor, greeted, and such. And the women wanted to come visit me at my home I guess to be friendly. But I feel put on the spot. Like let me see if I like you all first and then I'll talk to you lol. But as far as a religion its very good. I've also gone to an Old Catholic church said by a Benedict monk i met. They're a group not under the Vatican so they can have more lenient views on homosexuality. I will probably go back to the Episcopal church just a different one.
I suggest checking out another Episcopal church but understand that the delivery of bread to someone new is practically in their doctrine! Also, there are some high Episcopal churches that have the "smells and bells" that are familiar to Catholics. I'm an Atheist who has been welcomed into the Episcopal community - Bible study and all. Dinner conversation is interesting at our house.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

msb64 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:09 pm
Pjmm wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:58 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:48 pm

Doesn't matter. The church sees him as a wealthy celebrity and it is his white privilege that makes him say his church welcomes everyone when that's obviously not the case and if he was some average blue collar joe who was a member of the church and got divorced, the church would treat him differently. He doesn't realize it because he's naive.
What is his church? All I'm familiar with is Roman Catholics. They aren't going to care how rich you are if you don't annul your marriage-idk the procedure- you're not remarrying in the church. And they welcome everyone but consider us all sinners. Homosexual practices are a sin far as I know.
This is Chris Pratt's church:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/S*x-abuse ... h-hillsong
You lost me at 10 % tithing and God wants you to be rich. Like hell Did they not read the same bible I did? Jesus said give your riches to the poor and follow me? Oh well don't get me started on mega churches. She's probably right. They think Pratt is in God's favor then. I'm sure they'll welcome gays their money is as good as anyone's. Just don't ask don't tell.
Deleted User 969

Unread post

Deeming something wrong that happens between two consenting adults and harms no one is my definition of hate.
Quorra2.0 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:10 pm
Anonadon wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:50 pm It’s hard to tolerate hate.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:28 pm Well, that’s when that little thing called “tolerance” should kick in, especially in those that demand it. To say that those that I perceive as intolerant aren’t worthy of tolerance is the perfect example of hypocrisy and incongruence. It doesn’t require a great amount of effort to tolerate those you agree with or even those you don’t disagree with. Tolerance is only tested when faced with those you disagree with. And that’s when the true colors come out. Tolerance isn’t measured by the amount of people you can agree with, it’s measured in how you act towards those you disagree with.
I believe homosexual acts are wrong. However, that doesn’t mean I mistreat individuals for doing that, or that I go around trying to make their choice of partners illegal, or I’m disrespecting anyone over it. I have the ability to tolerate that people will believe differently and act according to what they believe and that doesn’t make them any less worthy of respect. The only thing I would ask is the same consideration in return. I won’t compromise what I believe is right and true to protect anyone’s bruised egos, though. I just wouldn’t bruise those egos any further.

Where out of all that did you get hate? Disagreeing with something, thinking it’s wrong doesn’t equate to hate. Tolerance is fake and meaningless if it’s only given to those we agree with. How can that even be defined as tolerance? Be cautious with your intolerance otherwise, you become what you believe your fighting against.

The truth is, we all have a bit of hypocrisy and a level of intolerance and we should. But one needs to carefully weigh what one is intolerant of and how hypocritical one is when condemning others for intolerance.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

No, it’s not. Maybe you’re the one projecting a more lenient view of “hatred”. The one really being LESS tolerant. So I ask again... you see my personal beliefs as wrong. Do you HATE me? And if so, why? What have I done to hurt those you agree with for you to hate me?
Anonadon wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:33 pm Deeming something wrong that happens between two consenting adults and harms no one is my definition of hate.

Where out of all that did you get hate? Disagreeing with something, thinking it’s wrong doesn’t equate to hate. Tolerance is fake and meaningless if it’s only given to those we agree with. How can that even be defined as tolerance? Be cautious with your intolerance otherwise, you become what you believe your fighting against.

The truth is, we all have a bit of hypocrisy and a level of intolerance and we should. But one needs to carefully weigh what one is intolerant of and how hypocritical one is when condemning others for intolerance.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Deleted User 969

Unread post

Your beliefs are based upon nothing. A dumb book told you it’s wrong to love a person with the same genitalia as you. Can you even explain why you think it’s wrong?
Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:38 pm No, it’s not. Maybe you’re the one projecting a more lenient view of “hatred”. The one really being LESS tolerant. So I ask again... you see my personal beliefs as wrong. Do you HATE me? And if so, why? What have I done to hurt those you agree with for you to hate me?
Anonadon wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:33 pm Deeming something wrong that happens between two consenting adults and harms no one is my definition of hate.

Deleted User 203

Unread post

Evidently tolerance is limited to only agreement and what that isn't found, hypocrisy is.

Don't go to his church. Voila!
Deleted User 276

Unread post

Is it ever okay to criticize a church or belief? When does that criticism turn into intolerance? What about societal views of WBC, FLDS, or Scientology? Should people as a whole ignore other's belief systems in the name of freedom of religion even if they feel they are unjust, bigoted, or dangerous?
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

You can believe what you want, doesn’t change the fact that it’s not the definition of hate. It’s sad. I really don’t think you realize what you are doing. Saying “it’s hard to tolerate hate” and redefining hate to justify and make you feel better about your own intolerances. Not realizing that shaming someone for something they believe, for their free thoughts, is trying to infringe on her human right to free thought. Her having those beliefs, those free thoughts, do not in and of themselves infringe on anyone’s human rights. As I said earlier, be careful of your own intolerances.

Deleted User 969

Unread post

I’m not being intolerant. She can believe whatever she wants. It’s just shitty to think love is wrong between any two adults because something that probably doesn’t even exist told you to do so. You’ll never convince me that’s not hate.
Quorra2.0 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:44 am You can believe what you want, doesn’t change the fact that it’s not the definition of hate. It’s sad. I really don’t think you realize what you are doing. Saying “it’s hard to tolerate hate” and redefining hate to justify and make you feel better about your own intolerances. Not realizing that shaming someone for something they believe, for their free thoughts, is trying to infringe on her human right to free thought. Her having those beliefs, those free thoughts, do not in and of themselves infringe on anyone’s human rights. As I said earlier, be careful of your own intolerances.

Locked Previous topicNext topic