She lost her school job after refusing to sign a pro-Israel pledge. Now, she’s filing a lawsuit.

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 276

Unread post

Bahia Amawi, a speech pathologist who has worked as a contractor in a Texas school district for nine years, received a new contract agreement to sign in September for the upcoming school year.

The agreement asked her to affirm that she did not boycott Israel and assert that she would not while working for the school.

She declined to sign it. Amawi, an American citizen of Palestinian descent who was born in Austria, said the statements infringed on her principles: her stance on Israel’s treatment of Palestinians and her belief in the First Amendment. So she was forced to stop working with the district.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... 321195f7b9
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Why in the hell would an employee of a contractor have to sign such a statement? Exactly in what capacity is one person going to be able to 'boycott' Israel? That law is meant for actual business owners. Are the legislators and government officials in Texas really that F***ing stupid?
Billie.jeens
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

a speech pathologist who has worked as a contractor
“Modern journalism is all about deciding which facts the public shouldn’t know because they might reflect badly on Democrats."
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I agree. As an individual, she should have a right to do whatever she wants and “boycott” whoever she wants. As long as she’s not doing it in an official capacity or uses her job to promote such a boycott, it shouldn’t be something her employers had any saying over.
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:07 pm Why in the hell would an employee of a contractor have to sign such a statement? Exactly in what capacity is one person going to be able to 'boycott' Israel? That law is meant for actual business owners. Are the legislators and government officials in Texas really that f*ck stupid?
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Billie.jeens
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Not every profession is for everyone -

If one supports those that support Terrorism - most reasonable people would say that you should not be interacting with children who are a captive audience.
“Modern journalism is all about deciding which facts the public shouldn’t know because they might reflect badly on Democrats."
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

So if she abuses her position to promote ideas that are against the state law, then by all means. Fire her.
But as an individual, she has a right to boycott whoever she wants and it shouldn’t be a factor in her employment.
Billie.jeens wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:15 pm Not every profession is for everyone -

If one supports those that support Terrorism - most reasonable people would say that you should not be interacting with children who are a captive audience.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

This law is not just Texas, there are 26 other states with laws like this:

https://theintercept.com/2018/12/17/isr ... i-bds-law/
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Billie.jeens wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:15 pm Not every profession is for everyone -

I truly doubt Israel or Palestine are innocent in these wars. I don't support terrorism but with the middle East I feel it's their fight. Let them hash it out. They've been fighting for God knows when.. the US won't stop them. And anyone should be able to support or whoever they please without her employer dragging politics into it.
Billie.jeens
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:26 pm

I truly doubt Israel or Palestine are innocent in these wars. I don't support terrorism but with the middle East I feel it's their fight. Let them hash it out. They've been fighting for God knows when.. the US won't stop them. And anyone should be able to support or whoever they please without her employer dragging politics into it.

Isn't a promise not to harm Israel through boycotts or other means the very defintion of - letting them hash it out?
Deleted User 276

Unread post

In order to obtain contracts in Texas, then, a citizen is free to denounce and work against the United States, to advocate for causes that directly harm American children, and even to support a boycott of particular U.S. states, such as was done in 2017 to North Carolina in protest of its anti-LGBT law. In order to continue to work, Amawi would be perfectly free to engage in any political activism against her own country, participate in an economic boycott of any state or city within the U.S., or work against the policies of any other government in the world — except Israel.

https://theintercept.com/2018/12/17/isr ... i-bds-law/
Locked Previous topicNext topic