Opinion...There won't be a coronavirus recovery unless we reopen schools now

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

There won't be a recovery from coronavirus in the U.S. unless we reopen schools now. If children can't go to school, parents can't go to work.

We're told schools must be closed to keep kids safe. But they're not in danger. According to CDC data, children under 18 make up only 2 percent of cases and 0.6 percent of hospitalizations. Children under 14 make up just 0.02 percent of deaths.

Now, the media misinformation machine is fear-mongering about a new mystery disease that affects children. Dr. Anthony Fauci cited this when pushing back on Rand Paul's demand to reopen schools this year. But we're talking about a handful of cases which are almost always treatable. How offensive to try and frighten parents about the safety of their children!

A more serious argument for school closures is that while children may not get sick themselves, they can infect others. But do they?

Cont'd at:

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/steve-h ... chools-now

Edited to get link to work. Hope this one works.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

The CDC also put out guidelines for reopening: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... hools.html

They are slightly ridiculous and my friends that are teachers are laughing over them.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:43 am The CDC also put out guidelines for reopening: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... hools.html

They are slightly ridiculous and my friends that are teachers are laughing over them.
I don't know why the CDC bothered to put out guidelines. Every guideline ends with '"if feasible". There are a few points that could possibly be used, but well over 95% of these guidelines are not feasible at all. It's just not going to happen.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:43 am The CDC also put out guidelines for reopening: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... hools.html

I have to say that I don't see a lot of that being feasible in the least! But I'm not a teacher.
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

The CDC guidelines for schools are not feasible at all, especially for secondary schools.

I feel that before schools open, districts need to create effective and feasible plans that will protect the health of students AND teachers/staff.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

SoFloMom wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:33 pm The CDC guidelines for schools are not feasible at all, especially for secondary schools.

I feel that before schools open, districts need to create effective and feasible plans that will protect the health of students AND teachers/staff.
Like what ? Since the CDC guidelines are so completely not feasible, what do you expect schools to come up with? Everyone needs to realize that you can't protect everyone from this virus.

Unless a child, teenager, young adult has an underlying health problem like immunosuppressed, lung problems, heart problems, etc., they pretty much skate through the virus with their parents thinking they just have a cold. It's just not that dangerous for this sector of the population.
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Mommamia wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:16 pm
SoFloMom wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:33 pm The CDC guidelines for schools are not feasible at all, especially for secondary schools.

Like what ? Since the CDC guidelines are so completely not feasible, what do you expect schools to come up with? Everyone needs to realize that you can't protect everyone from this virus.

Unless a child, teenager, young adult has an underlying health problem like immunosuppressed, lung problems, heart problems, etc., they pretty much skate through the virus with their parents thinking they just have a cold. It's just not that dangerous for this sector of the population.

I personally think (and I’ve seen this plan being floated around a lot) a hybrid online plus in person scheduling approach could work, if planned appropriately.
Having desks 6 ft apart and social distancing will NOT work in classrooms packed with over the classroom limit amounts of students. Instead of having 25-30 students in a classroom on a single day, students could alternate block days. Block A— reduced amount of students come to campus for in-person instruction, while Block B students complete that day’s instruction online. Those students then alternate.

Is that a perfect solution? No, not at all. But it would not be in the best interest of everyone for schools to “just go back to normal”.

It may not be “that dangerous” for the students, but what about the teachers? Do teachers that may be at higher risk not deserve a plan that considers their health needs too?
Deleted User 670

Unread post

We don't have the tests nor do we have contact tracers. We need those in place FIRST. And since Trump isn't doing F***ing shit about ordering the tests we need then it's another F***ing free for all as all F***ing 50 states try and get supplies to ramp up production for the needed tests. And the states still need to hire and train contact tracers.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

SoFloMom wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:33 pm
Mommamia wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:16 pm

I personally think (and I’ve seen this plan being floated around a lot) a hybrid online plus in person scheduling approach could work, if planned appropriately.
Having desks 6 ft apart and social distancing will NOT work in classrooms packed with over the classroom limit amounts of students. Instead of having 25-30 students in a classroom on a single day, students could alternate block days. Block A— reduced amount of students come to campus for in-person instruction, while Block B students complete that day’s instruction online. Those students then alternate.

Is that a perfect solution? No, not at all. But it would not be in the best interest of everyone for schools to “just go back to normal”.

It may not be “that dangerous” for the students, but what about the teachers? Do teachers that may be at higher risk not deserve a plan that considers their health needs too?
E-learning was a total failure in most school districts in this country since they closed schools down, especially in elementary and jr highs. Our kids have already lost nearly 1/2 year of education, they and we can't afford for them to lose any more. Some high schools have good programs, but most don't. Another CDC guideline to have the kids with one teacher all day. That won't work in jr high and high school. You can't have say an English teacher teaching not only English but math, science, literature, etc.

Do you have any idea how many janitorial people a school would have to employ to clean the desks, all surfaces, every door handle, every square inch of a class room or a bathroom every single day?

Like I said, you can't protect everyone. If a teacher or other school personnel has an underlying health issue, then they should ask for extended sick leave, or take a leave of absence until we have the necessary meds developed to successfully treat the virus or until there is a vaccine.

Why do you think the CDC said 'when feasible' after each guideline? It's because they know that most of those fine guidelines can't be accomplished in a regular school setting.

If you're that nervous about sending your children to school in the fall, then perhaps you should look into home schooling programs.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:53 pm We don't have the tests nor do we have contact tracers. We need those in place FIRST. And since Trump isn't doing F***ing shit about ordering the tests we need then it's another F***ing free for all as all F***ing 50 states try and get supplies to ramp up production for the needed tests. And the states still need to hire and train contact tracers.
Bullshit.
Locked Previous topicNext topic