Even Bernie is doing it....

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

So he can pay the higher $15 an hour wage he is campaigning on making minimum wage Bernie is cutting hours of his staffers. They have been complaining and quitting because he was only paying $13 an hour.
Democrat presidential candidate Bernie Sanders announced this weekend he will cut staffers' hours so that they can effectively be paid a $15-an-hour minimum wage, prompting mockery from critics who say the move is more evidence that Sanders' plan to raise the national minimum wage is hypocritical and would only lead to less work and more unemployment.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bernie ... ng-mockery
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
Deleted User 276

Unread post

It's good that the staffers are unionized. However, Bernie staffers are on salary well over $15 per hour if broken down to normal 40 hours a week. The problem is that they work more than 40 hours a week, like many on salary, and so the hourly breakdown is less - $13 an hour. Shifting their hours so that in fact they work full time and make $15 an hour just makes sense. Fox tends to leave details like this out of their reporting.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

msb64 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:38 pm It's good that the staffers are unionized. However, Bernie staffers are on salary well over $15 per hour if broken down to normal 40 hours a week. The problem is that they work more than 40 hours a week, like many on salary, and so the hourly breakdown is less - $13 an hour. Shifting their hours so that in fact they work full time and make $15 an hour just makes sense. Fox tends to leave details like this out of their reporting.
Did you read the article? It quotes from different sources, it is not just a Fox News report.

The second paragraph references the Wa Po article last week where the campaign workers were complaining about being paid “poverty wages” while he was campaigning on $15 an hour.
The Washington Post first reported last Thursday that Sanders' field staffers were upset that Sanders championed a $15 minimum wage on the campaign trail, and made headlines for railing against major corporations who pay "starvation wages" -- even as his own employees made "poverty wages."
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Deleted User 276

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:36 pm
msb64 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:38 pm It's good that the staffers are unionized. However, Bernie staffers are on salary well over $15 per hour if broken down to normal 40 hours a week. The problem is that they work more than 40 hours a week, like many on salary, and so the hourly breakdown is less - $13 an hour. Shifting their hours so that in fact they work full time and make $15 an hour just makes sense. Fox tends to leave details like this out of their reporting.
Did you read the article? It quotes from different sources, it is not just a Fox News report.

The second paragraph references the Wa Po article last week where the campaign workers were complaining about being paid “poverty wages” while he was campaigning on $15 an hour.
The Washington Post first reported last Thursday that Sanders' field staffers were upset that Sanders championed a $15 minimum wage on the campaign trail, and made headlines for railing against major corporations who pay "starvation wages" -- even as his own employees made "poverty wages."
I read the articles when they were posted a few days ago. I also read this article that was posted in response:

https://www.al.com/news/2019/07/bernie- ... -hour.html

We can revisit it if you like?
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

"Field organizers, who are on the front lines of the campaign's crucial voter contact efforts, were to be paid not by hours worked but via an annual salary set at $36,000. Regional field directors were to be paid $48,000 annually, and statewide department directors were allocated $90,000 per year."

These are unionized wages, but I'll get back to that shortly.

Here's a breakdown of the math:

2080 * $15/hrs = $31,200/yr

$36,000/2080 per year = $17.3077/hr

The issue they might have is how the positions are classified and if these are supervisory positions. If they aren't, they should be paid overtime. It depends on how the contract was written and the applicable laws.

They would be grossing $1050/week at $15/hrs with 20 hours a week in overtime.

$15.00*40 = $600 Regular
$22.50*20 = $450 Overtime * 52 = $54,600/yr

I can see where they're upset, but they need to read and understand the contract.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:53 pm "Field organizers, who are on the front lines of the campaign's crucial voter contact efforts, were to be paid not by hours worked but via an annual salary set at $36,000. Regional field directors were to be paid $48,000 annually, and statewide department directors were allocated $90,000 per year."

The issue they might have is how the positions are classified and if these are supervisory positions. If they aren't, they should be paid overtime. It depends on how the contract was written and the applicable laws.

$15.00*40 = $600 Regular

I can see where they're upset, but they need to read and understand the contract.
And your last line sums it up perfectly. They AGREED to the pay when they accepted the position. They knew what it was going into it.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

jas wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:50 am
CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:53 pm "Field organizers, who are on the front lines of the campaign's crucial voter contact efforts, were to be paid not by hours worked but via an annual salary set at $36,000. Regional field directors were to be paid $48,000 annually, and statewide department directors were allocated $90,000 per year."

$15.00*40 = $600 Regular

And your last line sums it up perfectly. They AGREED to the pay when they accepted the position. They knew what it was going into it.
I'd have to see the hiring documentation, the contract, the position description & classification, and the wage classification to know more. But yes, it certainly looks like they should have been aware.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Deleted User 1344

Unread post

Yep
Faux news is disgusting
Deleted User 276

Unread post

CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:16 am
jas wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:50 am

$15.00*40 = $600 Regular

I'd have to see the hiring documentation, the contract, the position description & classification, and the wage classification to know more. But yes, it certainly looks like they should have been aware.
They may not have been aware of the amount of overtime required. Reducing overtime hours seems like a good compromise.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Ledina60 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:00 pm
Yep
Faux news is disgusting
As noted before, and in the article if you’d bothered to read it, they went to the Washington Post and Fox, not Faux, is merely reporting the story. Here it is from Newsweek. I believe they are on your approved list of sources.

https://www.newsweek.com/bernie-sanders ... sy-1450267

Locked Previous topicNext topic