Potty training

Peaceful.chaos
Villein
Villein

Unread post

I didn't grow up in a home where animals were allowed inside. I've always wanted a dog that was inside with us as part of our family. So now we have two. They are inside most of the time, though they can go outside to a very nice enclosure that we've built just for them. It's huge (50x50 ft) and there's even a nice insulated house that was specifically built under the deck. Even though they love being outside, they do spend a great deal of time inside.

The issue, I'm worried they're going to pee somewhere when I'm not looking. It's a big house with lots of places that could go unnoticed unless I'm diligently inspecting with a black light every night. We've installed gates so that they cannot go upstairs as the first floor is mostly hardwood and tile. My question is, how do you relax when your dogs are out of sight? I think my dogs are trained but the puppy has a had a few accidents, which I don't mind if I see it happen and can clean it up quickly. I pretty much keep them in my sight when they're inside the house but now I've created clingy dogs. They think they have to be with me if they're in the house and usually on top of me wherever I am. Don't get me wrong I love that my pups want to be with me but I also want for them to relax and play by themselves and not think they have to be right on top of me all the time. I know I've caused this issue. The question is how do I fix it and stop worrying that there's pee going unnoticed somewhere in my house?
Reedusstalker

Unread post

I don't relax when one of my dogs is out of my sight. She is just like a puppy so I am always saying, where is Cleveland? Cleveland, get in here!
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Except for the puppy, you are worrying needlessly as long as you are taking them outside when they need it.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Depending on the breed, it may be their personality. Labs will get up and follow their people from room to room just to be with them.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Reedusstalker wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 8:32 am I don't relax when one of my dogs is out of my sight. She is just like a puppy so I am always saying, where is Cleveland? Cleveland, get in here!
Yup, just like a toddler. Out of sight and quiet means you better go find them immediately!!
Locked Previous topicNext topic