Haunted New York

Madeyemoody
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Halloween is in 53 days, 3 hours and 41 minutes! Since it’s my favorite holiday and this is the haunted realm, I figured I’d do some haunted New York posts and here’s a good one! And I’ve had personal experiences in this place long before it was a hotel. About 17 years ago, a group of friends and I decided to sneak into this place when it was just an abandoned insane asylum. It did not disappoint and we dared each other to spend 5 minutes in the pitch black padded cell. Nobody was ballsy enough so I did it. The room was completely empty and I passed my friend my flashlight. 2 minutes in my ponytail was yanked hard enough to make my knees buckle. I pounded on the door to be let out and used the flashlight to see if I possibly got snagged on something. There wasn’t a damn thing in that room. Our entire exploration, we felt like people we following us. We heard whispers in empty rooms, people were poked and rugged. By far it was one of the most awesome and memorable ghost hunting adventures I’ve been on. So without further ado, the story of hotel Henry:

The Sinister Story Behind This Popular Buffalo Hotel Will Give You Chills

Like many horror stories, this one begins at an insane asylum. If you’re a Buffalonian, you may already know exactly what we’re talking about. Hotel Henry is now a bright, modern hotel – but the dark history of the H.H. Richardson Complex is still worth mentioning. Read on to see if the sinister story behind this popular Buffalo hotel gives you chills!

The Richardson Olmsted Campus (also known as the H.H. Richardson Complex) was opened in 1880 as the Buffalo State Asylum for the Insane. Like many old asylums, this building is thought to have elevated paranormal activity since its abandonment.
The four-story building is immediately recognizable by two 185-foot towers. This structure was designed by famous architect (and namesake) Henry Hobson Richardson as a part of the "Kirkbride Plan." This plan was intended to change the in-patient care of the mentally ill by providing patients with plenty of natural light and air circulation.
The building has several unique features - one of the most notable being the curved walls. While the curved walls certainly add to the aesthetic appeal of the building, they actually served a greater purpose; it made it more difficult to place rows of patients on hospital beds throughout the hallways, which was a common problem for other asylums at the time when they became overcrowded.
While a large part of the building has now been restored into a beautiful hotel, its dark past still creeps in.
While the original intentions of the facility were good, the asylum quickly became overwhelmed by numbers of mentally ill patients and occupancy was exceeded by thousands. Despite the curved walls, the hospital was overcrowded and, without ample room to complete their treatment according to the Kirkbride plans, the complex fell back to treating the mentally ill with old, outdated practices... which were rather horrifying at times. There are numerous stories of patient torture within the walls of the complex. Once occupancy was exceeded, some patients were transferred to the Buffalo Psychiatric Center and the Richardson complex was left abandoned.
This is when the real creepiness sets in! There are several accounts of ghost sightings and paranormal activity since the complex's abandonment. It is thought that the ghosts of patients who died within the complex still frequent the facility today.
In 1986, the Richardson Olmsted Complex was registered as a National Historic Landmark.
69E6A02E-2ED5-44FF-B6E8-6E8AB738A35A.jpeg
9FD9ECC1-DE64-4699-8FD3-F5F57B62BDA5.jpeg
E2D8C2E5-0AEA-4E85-8EC6-A377C0366748.jpeg
9FD9ECC1-DE64-4699-8FD3-F5F57B62BDA5.jpeg
C02AB5FD-FDC0-44B4-B8A4-E94D070BCC86.jpeg
A4EA1E71-7B59-4359-9DA4-AB08C2616960.jpeg
Reedusstalker

Unread post

Awesome!
Seashell77
Countess
Countess