Sick kid, help!

Anonymous 1

Unread post

DD (10) is home from school sick today. She was fine last night but woke up vomiting. I haven't dealt with a sick kid since she was a toddler, so a good 8 or 9 years ago... and that was a toddler. I feel out of my element here.

So...

Keep her in bed.
Hair up, bucket nearby just in case.
Tea, soup, crackers, gelatin.
Wash her bedding when she feels better.
Disinfect everything.
Seek medical attention if it persists or becomes severe.

I plan to keep her home tomorrow as well, and then school is closed on Friday so she'll have plenty of time to recover.

Anything else I should know? I have an 8 year old as well so I want to keep this from spreading.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Try to keep her as hydrated as you can as well. You got this! 😁 Hope she gets better quick!
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Thank you! I'm working on getting some iced tea ready. She should be happy with that as it's a rare treat.
Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:53 am Try to keep her as hydrated as you can as well. You got this! 😁 Hope she gets better quick!
JulesFairy
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

Once she is over this be sure to throw out her toothbrush, sometimes kids can get sick again using the same toothbrush. And try to restore her gut biotics as soon as you can. Have her eat yogurt or take a biotic after she feels better, it gets rid of that run down feeling faster.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Only let her eat and drink a very small amount at a time. Give her ginger ale and other than that, stay away from sugar or dairy. It most likely will be a 6-12 hour thing in which case, you can send her to school tomorrow.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Thank you! I'd thought of the toothbrush thing but had already forgotten, maybe I should be writing this down so I remember when it matters!
JulesFairy wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:40 am Once she is over this be sure to throw out her toothbrush, sometimes kids can get sick again using the same toothbrush. And try to restore her gut biotics as soon as you can. Have her eat yogurt or take a biotic after she feels better, it gets rid of that run down feeling faster.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

She doesn't normally have a lot of sugar so giving her ginger ale now would be a mistake. We're sticking with tea. She's feeling better after just a few hours but I think I'll keep her off tomorrow anyway as per local health guidelines. I don't want to infect the whole school.
Olioxenfree wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:42 am Only let her eat and drink a very small amount at a time. Give her ginger ale and other than that, stay away from sugar or dairy. It most likely will be a 6-12 hour thing in which case, you can send her to school tomorrow.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Small sips of ginger ale, like a glass throughout the day, isn't going to be a lot of sugar and ginger is very good for an upset stomach.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:51 am She doesn't normally have a lot of sugar so giving her ginger ale now would be a mistake. We're sticking with tea. She's feeling better after just a few hours but I think I'll keep her off tomorrow anyway as per local health guidelines. I don't want to infect the whole school.
Olioxenfree wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:42 am Only let her eat and drink a very small amount at a time. Give her ginger ale and other than that, stay away from sugar or dairy. It most likely will be a 6-12 hour thing in which case, you can send her to school tomorrow.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

It's a lot for her. I politely turned down your suggestion and stated my reason, I don't know why you're arguing with me?

Do what you want for your kids but I'm not going to go out and buy soda for a sick child who almost never drinks soda. She's quite happy with tea. Thanks.
Olioxenfree wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:55 am Small sips of ginger ale, like a glass throughout the day, isn't going to be a lot of sugar and ginger is very good for an upset stomach.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:51 am She doesn't normally have a lot of sugar so giving her ginger ale now would be a mistake. We're sticking with tea. She's feeling better after just a few hours but I think I'll keep her off tomorrow anyway as per local health guidelines. I don't want to infect the whole school.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I understand that you're stressed, but you are overreacting to my comment. You made a post asking what to do, I gave a suggestion. Im not arguing, do what you want, I was just further explaining why I made that suggestion since there is likely about the same amount of sugar in a few tiny sips of ginger ale as there is in a piece of fruit or in the bread and gelatin she's eating, so it seemed like you misunderstood and thought I was saying give her glasses and glasses of ginger ale.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:02 am It's a lot for her. I politely turned down your suggestion and stated my reason, I don't know why you're arguing with me?

Do what you want for your kids but I'm not going to go out and buy soda for a sick child who almost never drinks soda. She's quite happy with tea. Thanks.
Olioxenfree wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:55 am Small sips of ginger ale, like a glass throughout the day, isn't going to be a lot of sugar and ginger is very good for an upset stomach.

Locked Previous topicNext topic