Organic vs non-organic

madfoodie
Sparkles the Elf
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I don't buy organic. There was a study done that said organic can be grown in what used to be non organic soil. I believe it has to go through two years of being grown organically before you can sell it.
But that reason alone and the fact that various studies have shown it makes no difference is why I do not buy it.
i want candy!
mrsmacgiver
Regent
Regent

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:44 pm With a lot of produce - like strawberries, grapes, cucumbers and apples, I can taste a very unpleasant chemical residue on conventional products. It is not there on the organic or local farm stand items. I guess being older, and remembering how good things used to taste, I may be more sensitive to the chemicals used. And somethings - like watermelon and tomatoes - taste nothing like they once did, unless you get it locally or grow your own.

I also prefer hormone-free chicken, beef and milk. If they are potent enough to alter the growth or milk production of those animals, then I don't want them in my body.
Are you in the US? Did you know that there is no such thing as added hormones in chicken or pork? It's illegal. The packaging is purely an advertising gimmick. In beef, it is legal, though.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Yes I've read that about pork. Chickens may not get hormones, but they are given a lot of antibiotics and other drugs routinely in their feed.
mrsmacgiver
Regent
Regent

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:33 pm Yes I've read that about pork. Chickens may not get hormones, but they are given a lot of antibiotics and other drugs routinely in their feed.
I would read up on that more if I were you. If an animal is sick and you don't give them antibiotics as prescribed the animal may die or infect other animals. Therefore the farmer/ rancher is losing money.

If the farmer/rancher gives unnecessary antibiotics, they are losing money. Farmers and ranchers need to pay their bills. They aren't in it to make Americans unhealthy.

Antibiotics for animals are prescribed by a vet just like antibiotics for humans are prescribed by a doctor.

It sounds to me like you've been watching or reading propagandist like Food, Inc., or food babe. Check out Farm Babe. Listen to the actual Farmers.
Seashell77
Countess
Countess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:44 pm With a lot of produce - like strawberries, grapes, cucumbers and apples, I can taste a very unpleasant chemical residue on conventional products. It is not there on the organic or local farm stand items. I guess being older, and remembering how good things used to taste, I may be more sensitive to the chemicals used. And somethings - like watermelon and tomatoes - taste nothing like they once did, unless you get it locally or grow your own.

I also prefer hormone-free chicken, beef and milk. If they are potent enough to alter the growth or milk production of those animals, then I don't want them in my body.
I like the points you've raised. I too notice a different taste between organic produce and non organic. Also myself being of an older generation I too recall many food, especially produce tasting much better.
Seashell77
Countess
Countess

Unread post

I try to buy organic when it goes on special. It's too bad it's so expensive. I try my best to buy certain organic produce that I read is sprayed with as much as 30 different chemicals, such as strawberries and grapes. I will pass on getting those fruits when it's priced out of range. I heard in California that most of the produce in grocery stores is organic. I hear it's more popular and affordable. On the east coast, where I live this is the opposite. There's not a good variety of organic produce to pick from and it's mostly very costly.
Seashell77
Countess
Countess

Unread post

madfoodie wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:56 am I don't buy organic. There was a study done that said organic can be grown in what used to be non organic soil. I believe it has to go through two years of being grown organically before you can sell it.
But that reason alone and the fact that various studies have shown it makes no difference is why I do not buy it.
I did not know that.....wow how horrible. Gives me something new to be concerned about now. I still am concerned about all of the chemicals used on regular produce.
AubreeGrace17
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I don't usually buy organic items.
Lotus
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It matters to me!
CreamTop
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I always try to buy local first, organic if available. I do like to support organic farming practices, even though it can be more expensive. I have an organic garden as well, which supplies a lot of our needs.

Organic farming is inherently different, in that it works with amending the soil rather than spraying the plant. Health soil = healthy plant, and less disease in the long run. What the growing plants take out of the soil each season is replenished with good compost and minerals vs using the same soil over and over and supplying nutritional needs with chemicals and sprays.
i rise.....
Locked Previous topicNext topic