Your hours are based off people opening credit?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

So, I’m a sahm, and now that my kids are all in school, I wanted to do something part time. For me. I had an interview at Sears yesterday. I figured that place was going dead, but eh. Whatever. So I find out that 50% of their profit comes off people opening credit cards when the cashier asks if you’d like to open one. He said that your hours are depnding on how many people you get to open cards??? What??? Is that normal? He said someone working a 6 hour shift should be able to get 3 people to open a card. I don’t know about you, but I’m polite when they ask if I want one, and when so decline, I don’t want them to continue trying to ram it down my throat to get me to change my mind. That whole thing kind of turned me off to them. So if someone doesn’t get enough credit cards open, they get less hours. That’s crap.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Yeah I don't think that's right to do. And being Sears, I'd assume that it would be extra difficult for someone to open a card with them when they are not doing good in business.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

No one at Sears has ever done that to me. Not even a little bit.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

That's not crap at all. That makes perfect sense to me. If that's a solid profit center for them, of course they're going to give the best hours to those that put forth the effort and hustle. Those people are going to rack up as many new cards as they can, so they should be rewarded with more hours.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

When I worked at a hotel as a young adult we got bonuses for signing people up for hotel membership cards. They paid a fee and got a ton of perks. I signed so many people up for those that my bonuses were more than my regular paychecks (this was 2007 so I only made $9/hr anyway lol) I was a natural at sales I guess because I was offered a job in their sales department but I turned it down. I regretted that for a while after I found out how much money you can make from hotel sales lol. Anyway, my coworkers hated me for awhile because I was making so much more money and started getting better shifts and first choice for overtime but whatever I made the hotel more money which made the Gm love me. I would also convince people to take better rooms at a slight discount but still more than a standard room and I convinced a couple business owners to hold conferences there. Sometimes I miss working there it was a lot of fun even if coworkers were jealous.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

No one said not put forth effort to try. But he kept making it seem like you just push more if they say no. You could get a handful of cranky in a hurry customers and in no way are you going to “convince them” to open a card if they just want to hurry and get the hell out.
Anonymous 4 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:19 am That's not crap at all. That makes perfect sense to me. If that's a solid profit center for them, of course they're going to give the best hours to those that put forth the effort and hustle. Those people are going to rack up as many new cards as they can, so they should be rewarded with more hours.
SeekingPeace
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I don't like any sales person trying to shove anything down my throat. That said, it sounds like this is not the job for you. I'd look elsewhere.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:35 am No one said not put forth effort to try. But he kept making it seem like you just push more if they say no. You could get a handful of cranky in a hurry customers and in no way are you going to “convince them” to open a card if they just want to hurry and get the hell out.
Anonymous 4 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:19 am That's not crap at all. That makes perfect sense to me. If that's a solid profit center for them, of course they're going to give the best hours to those that put forth the effort and hustle. Those people are going to rack up as many new cards as they can, so they should be rewarded with more hours.
mojogirl
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

i could never work in retail. god bless those who do.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Weird. Back in the day it wasn't easy for me to get a Sears card. I did try at those promotional booths but ended up getting declined. I was a college student with no credit trying to establish some then.
Deleted User 1018

Unread post

Yeah. I would decline the job offer. I hate it when cashiers ask me if I want their store cc, donate to whatever. I'm like, If I wanted it, I would have already done it, so just ring my stuff up and keep it quiet.
Locked Previous topicNext topic