Prom Expectations

Anonymous 1

My mom was asking the kids what their plans were before and after prom and the kids were shocked to find out that back in the 80s and 90s, kids would typically go out to a nice(ish) dinner before Prom and that it was relatively common to rent a limo.

That got me thinking of what our kids feel pressured to do for prom versus the cost of everything. When I was in school, my homecoming or prom dress would cost between $80-$150. Acrylic nails plus a pedicure used to cost me $45 including the tip. An updo was around $45 plus tip. We used the tanning beds and a membership was around $20 a month. Dinner was around $20 per person with tip (we never went to super fancy places, other people did). I also never rented a limo for prom but I knew a lot of kids who did and it was around $100. So you're looking at $250-$350 total.

One of my daughter's dresses was $230. It needed tailoring which was $65. She doesn't have any shoes to match and the shoes she is looking at are around $60. She feels like she has to have acrylics and a pedicure and everywhere we go, the bill for that tends to be around $200 not including the tip (acrylics have gotten so stupid expensive). Thankfully, my daughter doesn't want a spray tan but all of her friends will have one and they told me it is $60 for the cheapest one. She does want hair extensions and found a girl who will do them for $100. She is not getting all of this because we can't afford it right now but if she had it her way, she would b e costing me around $700.

No wonder kids in my area aren't going out to dinner beforehand anymore!

What is typical in your area? Do kids still go out to dinner before the dance? Are kids renting limos still? About how much are you guys spending on dress, accessories, etc.?
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

I think it depends on the income of the school district. Our local high school just had prom and looking at pictures, most girls were in simple long dresses or short and guys were wearing jacket and tie (sometimes with jeans, sometimes without). Our local Mexican restaurant was packed. No limos. We have one hair/nail place but they don't do acrylics and they advertised a hair/make-up/nail combo for $80 which I bet a bunch of girls participated in.

Last year I was at a near-by, VERY expensive resort for a presentation and it was hosting prom for a private prep school. Resort offers limo service and many of the couples arrived via limo. The couples were beautifully dressed, all the girls in long dresses, and they had a photographer taking pictures on the resort grounds. Dinner was $250 per person/plate. Some of the couples were spending the night and the resort doesn't even list their room prices online so I imagine it was expensive!

Proms today are different from when I was in school back in the 70s, that's for sure. In the 70s, we were still treating them kind of like debutante balls, lol.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Anonymous 2

My kids are homeschooled so prom is for ages 13-18. In their circles dresses are typically bought on clearance or at thrift stores. Moms do drop off if they aren't driving yet and girls just get ready themselves none of this manicure and hair dresser stuff. No limos either. But homeschoolers in general tend to be more frugal. Dresses are also worn to multiple dances and dinner is served at prom. But they can also go to prom 5-6 times so it's just a different world.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 4:34 pm My kids are homeschooled so prom is for ages 13-18. In their circles dresses are typically bought on clearance or at thrift stores. Moms do drop off if they aren't driving yet and girls just get ready themselves none of this manicure and hair dresser stuff. No limos either. But homeschoolers in general tend to be more frugal. Dresses are also worn to multiple dances and dinner is served at prom. But they can also go to prom 5-6 times so it's just a different world.
That's really strange.
sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

DD had prom just over a week ago. She went with 2 friends. They drove together in one car and went to dinner before hand. Dinner was $75 (with tip) for the 3 of them and it was a nice-ish local place.

DDs dress was $105.00. They all did their own hair and makeup. DD does her own nails (poly gel). The other girls both had their nails done. I think one of them paid a friend and the other go them done at a salon.

I am not sure how much others spent.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

The prom doesn't seem to be as big of a thing where I live now (NC). I don't see any limos. Kids gather for pics by the waterfront then just go to prom. Seems boring. I grew up in NJ and prom was a huge deal. Fancy dresses, tanning, limos etc. My prom was on a NYC boat cruise and dinner was served on the boat. And then the best thing was right after prom we all went down the shore for the weekend and hung on the beach all day and drank at night. A few idiot parents actually booked us hotel rooms so we could party. It was a blast lol.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

My kiddo is homeschooled. Her dress was on sale for $67 at Dillard's in January. She and her friends got ready here at our house- they did their own makeup, hair, and used press on nails. None of them wanted to do the expensive things. They ate pizza and snacks here while they got ready, there was stuff at prom to eat, and I drove them and dropped them off ( the two 18 year olds don't drive and my youngest is 15 and doesn't drive yet.
20230420004950_IMG_3527.JPG
20230420005821_IMG_3541.JPG
20230420004436_IMG_3517.JPG
My 15 year old is in the wine color dress, my oldest dd came home from college to do her hair and makeup and her ( the oldest kiddo) two besties are in the blue dresses. My oldest got into one picture to humor me.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

For my childrens' proms they all had dinner at the venue. The girls dresses were about $150 each. They did their own hair and makeup. Only my son took a limo which his friends parents paid for. I did not have to buy anything (besides the tickets) for him as since he plays hockey he has 8 suits already hanging in his closet.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:26 pm My kiddo is homeschooled. Her dress was on sale for $67 at Dillard's in January. She and her friends got ready here at our house- they did their own makeup, hair, and used press on nails. None of them wanted to do the expensive things. They ate pizza and snacks here while they got ready, there was stuff at prom to eat, and I drove them and dropped them off ( the two 18 year olds don't drive and my youngest is 15 and doesn't drive yet.20230420004950_IMG_3527.JPG
20230420005821_IMG_3541.JPG
20230420004436_IMG_3517.JPG

My 15 year old is in the wine color dress, my oldest dd came home from college to do her hair and makeup and her ( the oldest kiddo) two besties are in the blue dresses. My oldest got into one picture to humor me.
I love that dress, and your daughters are so pretty.
mrsjules79
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

For prom, they dressed up, hair and nails, but nails aren't super expensive here . They drove themselves but all have NICE cars and went to a fancy steakhouse before. Plenty of after parties, some would rent a beach house an hour away. For Homecoming they pretty much did the same, sometimes rent a party bus and would have after parties hosted by parents.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic