When it rain it pours....

Kookookrazy
Duchess
Duchess

Pjmm wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:00 pm I don't understand how you can pass stats but not algebra. I think algebra is a prereq for stats in some colleges but whatever. They won't let you take college algebra while enrolled at the college? Can you do it in the summer at a local community college and get a tutor? i agree I wouldn't go back to NYC just over 20 credits. Talk to your guidance counselor to see what can be done. It's not the end of the world. As for the birth certificate I'd look up how to remove the crease. Sometimes paper can be gently ironed.
Ì dont understand it either.I found college level statistics not difficult at all but I completely fail at Algebra. Ive been crying all day I literally woke up this morning frantic because of this math class.I just know Ive never been able to understand algebra, formulas,equations etc.I just blank out after it goes pass 3 steps to get the answer.

My kids refuse to move.They are willing to move back to NYC but I am not.I actually want to move to Montana and go to UOM they take ALL of my credits but my kids basically said hell no. I'm just going to sign up at the community college my daughter goes to this summer and take the course.Im going to hire a tutor and just try my best.

I ordered ds a new birth certificate.Ironing wont work the dmv lady said the crease faded the number away .I visibly saw the 1 but she and her supervisor said it wasnt legible.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

You can't keep moving to avoid things.

The realistic thng to do would be to get a job and do classes part time. Start with the algebra class and then work your way through others.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Look into homeschool programs to help with algebra. Like this...
The Hands-On Equations Learning System: A manipulatives-based instructional system for introducing algebra in grades 3 and up. Game-like, intuitive approach enhances student interest in mathematics. https://a.co/d/a5mKQxy
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

My stepson just got his Masters in mathematics. He also had a problem with Algebra. Everything else was easy, according to him, but Algebra was a pain.

Best wishes.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It sounds like you missed something a long time ago that's stopped you from understanding a concept in algebra and it snowballed from there. They teach algebra basics long before they teach true algebra and if you didn't grasp something you missed a building block that's stopping you from going any further.

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/algebra-basics

try doing this course to see if there's just some gaps in your knowledge. If my 9 year old could use it for the foundations of algebra you can too. This site is great for all things math if you need extra help figuring things out.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I am not being offensive when I say this but it’s the best way I know to explain algebra .

5 + ? = 8

Is the same as

5 + x = 8

In other words, Algebra is the exact same thing as math. All the letters do is replace what would normally be a blank. Once you understand that, all you need to do is solve from left to right.

I used to think I was really bad at algebra too until one of my remedial algebra teachers explained it just like that. I graduated cum laude in accounting. Accounting uses a fair amount of algebraic formulas.

I also passed statistics with a C. I swear it was the only class I walked out of feeling dumber than I walked in. So I think that if you can pass statistics, you can definitely pass algebra.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I think I understand what you now mean after helping a friends daughter who struggles with algebra. She told me it is not so much the basic equations, or simplifying as master-three has provided but when she needs to substitute with multiple variables or the worst factoring. Her daughter cannot for the life of her remember the rules of factoring.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic