Am I the only one who is like DO NOT pull that plug…

Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I think saying "pull the plug on me" is the selfless thing to do. Because if I'm the one in a coma, it's not about how it affects me. It's about how it affects everyone else who loves me. It's about how my husband has to mourn my loss, but can't really fully move on. That's very unhealthy. It's about how my kids live every day having hope but at the same time having no hope at all. That's incredibly stressful. If the doctors have said "there is no hope of her coming out of this coma" then I want them to make the choice that allows them to mourn and then move on with life.

If I were to say "don't ever pull the plug on me" that would be incredibly selfish of me. Not just the emotional selfishness, but I'd be demanding that they waste a shit-ton of money on me and my care when it's incredibly likely that I will never get better. That money can go instead to making their lives better rather than wasting it on my body which should just be ended and put in the ground.

No, I can't understand someone saying "keep me alive at all costs". It just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:55 pm
Catdaughter20 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:21 pm Really, why?
I had a cousin that got in a really bad car accident 30 years ago, so bad they told her parents she would never regain consciousness. They didn’t pull the plug. Three weeks later she woke up, and while she did have a really long way to go to be normal again, she had to relearn how to walk, talk, eat, everything…

But now 30 years later she’s a mother of three, has a masters degree and the only way you can tell she was in an accident is a slight speech difference, she holds her pen a little differently when she writes and if she’s in a two piece baiting suit you can see the scars. Other than that, she’s fantastic.
There's a big difference between 3 weeks and 10 years. DH and I have discussed it and we know to give it a few weeks to see what's happening. See if there is any change or any improvement despite what the doctors say the first week. But there does come a point looooong before 10 years, that you have to decide "nope, they aren't getting better, time to let them go and move on".
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I had a cousin that got in a really bad car accident 30 years ago, so bad they told her parents she would never regain consciousness. They didn’t pull the plug. Three weeks later she woke up, and while she did have a really long way to go to be normal again, she had to relearn how to walk, talk, eat, everything…

But now 30 years later she’s a mother of three, has a masters degree and the only way you can tell she was in an accident is a slight speech difference, she holds her pen a little differently when she writes and if she’s in a two piece baiting suit you can see the scars. Other than that, she’s fantastic.
In my experience, it takes weeks before the doctors can even really give a prognosis to tell you if there is hope or not. I just watched a kid wake up from a coma after about 2 weeks and he had not even been stable long enough for them to give the family an idea of what to expect. It's very unlikely that the doctor would come in and talk to you about pulling the plug after just 3 weeks because they are still running tests and getting the patient stable at that time.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

RIZZY wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:59 pm

In my experience, it takes weeks before the doctors can even really give a prognosis to tell you if there is hope or not. I just watched a kid wake up from a coma after about 2 weeks and he had not even been stable long enough for them to give the family an idea of what to expect. It's very unlikely that the doctor would come in and talk to you about pulling the plug after just 3 weeks because they are still running tests and getting the patient stable at that time.
They said it within days…
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic