Is this ever not a thing?

Anonymous 4

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:26 am do your parents ever stop treating you like a clueless child?
Mine did stop.

It helped that I acknowledged that the motive behind it was well intentioned and the habit had been adaptive when I was a child, but there were now alternative methods of expressing the same feelings and transferring the same information that would be comparatively advantageous, and how could I best help her change her habit?
Heyteacher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I think parents never stop being parents, ever.

If I dare go away without my husband—my mother worries that some fowl play will befall me. As a result she reminds me of all the perceived dangers that might be out there because I might forget to lock the door, or make sure I’m not followed etc.

To our parents we are perpetually in need of their guidance.
mrsjules79
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Same here! She has always treated me like an equal since I became an adult.
Quorra2.0 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:55 pm Idk my mom hasn’t ever done that. She’ll give me advice if I am asking for it or she lets me vent when I need to without expressing criticism.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I've gone no contact with mine but just for context. She once yelled at me (as a new mom) for having a single dish in my sink (which was rinsed off) Meanwhile, anytime I went to visit her or my dad there would be MOLDY dishes in her sink or Moldy pans on her stovetop.
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:51 pm
Murdoc's Mistress wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:43 pm My mom is one of those who believe if you're not doing it EXACTLY as she's doing it, you're doing it wrong.

It absolutely drives her nuts that I don't live my life just like her.

She gave me an earful over some reproduction movie posters I bought myself for Christmas LOL. All because she "would never blow her money on something so stupid".
Sounds just like my dad. Ironically he yelled at my mom that she couldn't talk to me because I needed to figure things out on my own when I was first married and moved out. 6 months no contact he said. Thankfully she didn't listen because I was like mom who do I call to get electricity? She wouldn't do it for me and she didn't pay it she just gave me a direction. He was so mad.
But then he would come dig through my trash cans for receipts and tell me exactly why I was wrong for spending that money.
Funnily enough, my dad constantly tells her to get off my balls about it LOL. I mean, I have a mortgage and a career. My kid is an adult. Why get bent out of shape over spending $40 for a couple of reproduction Child's Play posters LOL (or $25 for an Optimus Prime figure)
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

In a “normal” mother/daughter relationship, I’m sure it is. I grew up with a mother who was proud of the fact that she didn’t engage. It’s only been in the last few years that she’s tried to parent and she’s been frustrated that I’m not appreciative <sigh>
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My mil on the other hand has a lot of opinions on how we should do things. She even insists I text her to let her know I got home safely when I leave her house.
mrsjules79 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:45 am Same here! She has always treated me like an equal since I became an adult.
Quorra2.0 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:55 pm Idk my mom hasn’t ever done that. She’ll give me advice if I am asking for it or she lets me vent when I need to without expressing criticism.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My parents are in their 80’s now. They are doing OK, but that is definitely not a thing for our family. They are just trying to stay living independently — no time to worry about me anymore.
SisterSomeone
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

My mother in law is like this. She seems to think that unless you're doing something exactly the way that she does it, you're doing it wrong. My husband and his siblings tolerate it, even find it endearing. I... don't, and I'm not particularly shy about making it clear that I don't.
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

SisterSomeone wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:12 pm My mother in law is like this. She seems to think that unless you're doing something exactly the way that she does it, you're doing it wrong. My husband and his siblings tolerate it, even find it endearing. I... don't, and I'm not particularly shy about making it clear that I don't.
My mom is the same way. Drives me up a damned wall. It's not cute or endearing. It's insulting, honestly.
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic