Help me think through this

Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Depends on if what they are asking you to do is on the same pay grade, even if it’s a different assignment. Yes, they should train you, but if you are left without work during your contract hours I would find it reasonable if they give you “other duties as assigned” as long as it’s not outside your pay grade.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Anonymous 3 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:26 pm “That’s not my job” was an instant “do not hire again” thing to say when you’re on a film set, so I don’t know…

I guess it depends on the job.

My mother was the highest paid producer on a set and she still helped sweep up at the end of the day to help get everyone out of there faster. I learned from her, so maybe my work ethic is farther than it should be.
I agree that statements like "That's not my job" is negative in a corporate setting. I spent a few decades in a structured corporate workplace with many different departments and operations. I never turned down any request to assist, I learned a lot about how the different silos connected, and as I moved up the chain of command I brought with me personal connections and an appreciation of skills. As the marketplace shifted it gave me a valuable overview of how to streamline operations.
Anonymous 1

LiveWhatULove wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:16 pm What was the motive behind this request?

What is the work culture like?

How does leadership respond to employee requests typically?

Is the company publicly traded? Do you know how it is doing financially?

Are you at the bottom, the middle, or the top of the salary range for your industry?

Are you at the bottom, the middle, or the top of the salary range for your company?

Could you find a job with ease that provides similar or better salary and benefits? Or do you need a job for financial security?

When hired, what were you work hours expectations? How many hours are you actually working per week?

Do the extra tasks or responsibilities aide your long-term career goals in any way?
We are all pretty confused about where it is coming from. The company culture was very relaxes when I started here, there were no office hours, and we were told that as long as the work got done, you can work from home or work in the office, and make your own hours. Nothing that I am doing has changed. At all. I sometimes work early, sometimes work late, sometimes work from home, but always, my work is done accurately, efficiently, and on time.

We are expanding and growing and that is the only thing they have said is the reason for office hours now. However, the company is already hybrid. We have an office in one city and we have about 10 remote employees who live across the state and do not have an office. People who do not work in the office have been promoted and we are being told that they are the ones who are complaining about our office hours. I find that laughable considering every time I call them during the work day, they are out getting their nails done, getting massages, and going golfing. But if we're 30 minutes late because our doctor's appointment ran over, it's a problem.

If I went elsewhere, I would get approximately a $25K raise and I would be required to have about the same office hours they are implementing now.

Not publicly traded, less than 25 employees, huge financial growth since I have been here.

I am at the lower end of my salary range, not sure about the company. There is no one else in my position so it's hard to compare.

I would like to stay here because it's close to my house and I am planning to buy a house next year so 3+ years in the same position looks really good for financing. I was also drawn to the relaxed company culture and not being tied to office hours.

I do not keep track of my hours but while I may leave early some days, I also frequently work in the evenings or on weekends as needed and often come in early. If I am meant to keep track of my hours now, I would expect I would be closer to 50.

No, the additional work is not at all related my position and would not help me with growth in the future.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:42 am If I went elsewhere, I would get approximately a $25K raise and I would be required to have about the same office hours they are implementing now.

the additional work is not at all related my position and would not help me with growth in the future.
It sounds to me like your best option is to get a firm job offer from elsewhere, so you can walk into the negotiations with proof in your pocket that you could walk out the door and be in a new job the following day. Be open about this.

Then you can let them know that what they're proposing doesn't work well with your future career plans, but you like the people at the firm and in the local area so you're open to talking and that a good place to start would be the manager laying out what the company's concern is - are they running out of budget? Is it a communication issue about people not understanding how your job role normally works in the industry?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic