Selling a home with no realtor

Anonymous 1

Unread post

We might have a buyer that we know buy our house we are selling so there would be no realtors involved on our end or their end. Who would make the contract? Do we need to hire a real estate lawyer or are their other options? Anyone been through this? Thanks!
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Yes. If nothing else, to do the title search and closing paperwork, especially if you have a mortgage or the buyer will be financing. Even more important if you are going to do owner financing.

I just purchased my mother's house, cash sale, and attorney fees were less than $1000.
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Real estate sales are way more than just a purchase offer.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I've purchased many houses for cash. It's relatively easy and fairly inexpensive. If financing is involved, get an attorney.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Yes, but do I need a realtor?
RIZZY wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:05 pm Real estate sales are way more than just a purchase offer.
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:49 am Yes, but do I need a realtor?
RIZZY wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:05 pm Real estate sales are way more than just a purchase offer.
I would suggest one. I have bought and sold many houses, some with a realtor and some without. I am also a realtor. I would suggest using a realtor, especially since you already have these kind of questions.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

If a real estate attorney is cheaper than a realtor, I don't see why I would need a realtor. I don't need anyone to put my house on the internet, I don't need anyone to show my house as I already have a buyer. What else is there? This is a true question..not being snarky.
RIZZY wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:33 am
I would suggest one. I have bought and sold many houses, some with a realtor and some without. I am also a realtor. I would suggest using a realtor, especially since you already have these kind of questions.
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:57 am If a real estate attorney is cheaper than a realtor, I don't see why I would need a realtor. I don't need anyone to put my house on the internet, I don't need anyone to show my house as I already have a buyer. What else is there? This is a true question..not being snarky.

A typical real estate transaction for me includes over 200 steps/duties. Marketing is the most well known part of my job but it is also the smallest part of what I do. Without knowing your state AND being licensed there, it would be irresponsible and unethical of me to start listing them all or making suggestions on what other things you want to look out for.

Realtor commissions are negotiable and plenty of realtors work for a flat fee if your main concern is cost. If you do decide to go the attorney route, I highly suggest asking the buyers to hire their own attorney as well. In most states in the USA, home sellers take on an enormous liability and that liability is compounded when dealing with unrepresented buyers. That's probably the best advice I can give.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:15 pm Do we need to hire a real estate lawyer
At minimum, you would be strongly advised to use a properly qualified and insured conveyancer to handle holding the money from the buyer while the deeds and possession are transferred.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

That's a good point and something to definitely think about! Thank you!
RIZZY wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:08 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:57 am If a real estate attorney is cheaper than a realtor, I don't see why I would need a realtor. I don't need anyone to put my house on the internet, I don't need anyone to show my house as I already have a buyer. What else is there? This is a true question..not being snarky.

A typical real estate transaction for me includes over 200 steps/duties. Marketing is the most well known part of my job but it is also the smallest part of what I do. Without knowing your state AND being licensed there, it would be irresponsible and unethical of me to start listing them all or making suggestions on what other things you want to look out for.

Realtor commissions are negotiable and plenty of realtors work for a flat fee if your main concern is cost. If you do decide to go the attorney route, I highly suggest asking the buyers to hire their own attorney as well. In most states in the USA, home sellers take on an enormous liability and that liability is compounded when dealing with unrepresented buyers. That's probably the best advice I can give.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic