I've never been so annoyed by a children's show

Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

We have friends who live around the corner from us. They have three kids and one went through cancer treatments last year. She is now in remission and is healthy, but their bank accounts are drained and the mom had had to leave her job to take care of her. Many helped throughout the treatments, but now they just can't afford to live in the house where they live anymore. They are moving to the next county over into a smaller and more affordable house, the mom found a job nearby. They had been in their current house since they were married, their kids are 8, 6, and 4. They have a lot of important memories in that house, including their daughter getting well again. The kids are begging to stay, they don't want to leave the house or switch schools.

Then they hear that Bluey put out an episode about moving and they thought perfect! Their kids love Bluey! And spoilers if you haven't seen the episode, the dad gets a better job in another city, they are selling their house, their uncle and aunt are also supposed to move too, the kids are upset, the aunt is upset, they all go through coping, .... and then at the last minute they all decide not to move since the kids and the aunt want to stay bad enough. Like as they are pulling out of the driveway, moving trucks have already come, dad says forget the job and real estate contracts, rips the sign out of the lawn and decides they're going to stay and everyone is so happy.

Yes, you can say that they should have watched the episode first before showing their kids, but again these parents are emotionally exhausted and didn't anticipate them just not moving after all of that, especially since Bluey is usually pretty realistic for a kids show about talking dogs. Up until the very last scene, it never made it seem like they were staying so its not like they could see it going that way and shut it off. Now the kids have hope that this will happen for them too and if they want it badly enough, they won't have to move. Which has made things ten times harder on the parents. They had to ban the kids from the front lawn because they kept trying to cover the sign up. It's so painful to watch. So if you are moving anytime soon, don't let your kids watch it. Which makes me wonder who the episode is really targeted toward, because it's not like that actually happens in the real world and any kid is going to learn anything from it.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

That is sad. I’m sorry the kids you know have to deal with that.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Yeah that doesn't seem like a realistic episode. I hate when the show forces or changes an ending because they don't think kids can handle the sadness. I think the mom here will have to lay it on the line. "Look we have to move, like it or not. Let's plan out fun things to do in the new town as well as when we can visit your friends here." After all, unless it's Duval in Florida which is huge, moving counties isn't horrible. It's not like moving states.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:34 pm Yeah that doesn't seem like a realistic episode. I hate when the show forces or changes an ending because they don't think kids can handle the sadness. I think the mom here will have to lay it on the line. "Look we have to move, like it or not. Let's plan out fun things to do in the new town as well as when we can visit your friends here." After all, unless it's Duval in Florida which is huge, moving counties isn't horrible. It's not like moving states.
The thing is that "Look we have to move, like it or not. Let's plan out fun things to do in the new town as well as when we can visit your friends here." is pretty much exactly what the mom says in the episode, and then they end up not moving, so the kids, especially the two younger ones, think there’s still hope.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

My kidd knew not to expect what happened on TV to happen in real life. I can't imagine how stressful it is for their parents but I don't think the creators of the show did anything wrong it's just tv not life.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:24 pm
Pjmm wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:34 pm Yeah that doesn't seem like a realistic episode. I hate when the show forces or changes an ending because they don't think kids can handle the sadness. I think the mom here will have to lay it on the line. "Look we have to move, like it or not. Let's plan out fun things to do in the new town as well as when we can visit your friends here." After all, unless it's Duval in Florida which is huge, moving counties isn't horrible. It's not like moving states.
The thing is that "Look we have to move, like it or not. Let's plan out fun things to do in the new town as well as when we can visit your friends here." is pretty much exactly what the mom says in the episode, and then they end up not moving, so the kids, especially the two younger ones, think there’s still hope.
Then I guess explain that unlike Bluey, Mom and Dad have no choice in the matter. They simply need a house they can afford. I know the younger kids are in for a rude awakening but it was probably easier logistically for the Bluey characters to not move especially if they were main ones. I don't know the show. Charlie Brown had a similar cartoon although not on TV. Linus and Lucy move and the characters all react to it. But in the end, they return to the town. Idk how I remember reading it but I do.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I don't have little kids anymore so of course I didn't watch it. But this is the first negative review I've seen. All of the other feedback has been positive. Parents and kids loved it, they were crying happy tears etc. Many of the news outlets gave it positive reviews as well. This is a one off situation.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

It's a cartoon. Period. End of story. Get over it. Bluey is a great 7 minute cartoon. There are a lot of great lessons in a 7 minute cartoon and the parents are super plugged in to Bluey and Bingo and teach them in every episode. I haven't seen that episode yet since it just dropped last week I believe, but again..it's. a. cartoon. Getting so worked up over it is silly IMO.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:04 am It's a cartoon. Period. End of story. Get over it. Bluey is a great 7 minute cartoon. There are a lot of great lessons in a 7 minute cartoon and the parents are super plugged in to Bluey and Bingo and teach them in every episode. I haven't seen that episode yet since it just dropped last week I believe, but again..it's. a. cartoon. Getting so worked up over it is silly IMO.
They aren’t “silly” for being annoyed that what was supposed to be an opportunity to help their kids through the move has just added additional stress to already very stressed out parents going through a very hard time. When you’re in that situation, you can tell people to “get over it.”
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MrsDavidB wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:34 am I don't have little kids anymore so of course I didn't watch it. But this is the first negative review I've seen. All of the other feedback has been positive. Parents and kids loved it, they were crying happy tears etc. Many of the news outlets gave it positive reviews as well. This is a one off situation.
After what they told me, I was looking up reviews of the episode and saw a lot of parents felt the same way, especially military families. Bluey has always been known for its accurate depictions of parenthood and the lessons it teaches, so people were just surprised that they would take a situation many kids go through and end it with something that just wouldn’t happen.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic