I've never been so annoyed by a children's show

Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:04 am It's a cartoon. Period. End of story. Get over it. Bluey is a great 7 minute cartoon. There are a lot of great lessons in a 7 minute cartoon and the parents are super plugged in to Bluey and Bingo and teach them in every episode. I haven't seen that episode yet since it just dropped last week I believe, but again..it's. a. cartoon. Getting so worked up over it is silly IMO.
To be fair I'm annoyed with Disney changing the endings to The Little Mermaid and the Hunchback of Notre Dame. Those were originally tragic endings and the authors had reasons for them. I understand Disney likes happy endings I just feel they could have come up with an original story. I can understand showing a cartoon strictly to show how someone deals with moving or some conflict only to end up with it magically being fixed. It's something writers are warned against doing. I'm not saying cancel Bluey. I've heard positive things about it. I'm just saying I believe they dropped the ball this time. They probably had to have the characters stay for logistic reasons but still.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:34 pm
mcginnisc wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:04 am It's a cartoon. Period. End of story. Get over it. Bluey is a great 7 minute cartoon. There are a lot of great lessons in a 7 minute cartoon and the parents are super plugged in to Bluey and Bingo and teach them in every episode. I haven't seen that episode yet since it just dropped last week I believe, but again..it's. a. cartoon. Getting so worked up over it is silly IMO.
To be fair I'm annoyed with Disney changing the endings to The Little Mermaid and the Hunchback of Notre Dame. Those were originally tragic endings and the authors had reasons for them. I understand Disney likes happy endings I just feel they could have come up with an original story. I can understand showing a cartoon strictly to show how someone deals with moving or some conflict only to end up with it magically being fixed. It's something writers are warned against doing. I'm not saying cancel Bluey. I've heard positive things about it. I'm just saying I believe they dropped the ball this time. They probably had to have the characters stay for logistic reasons but still.
I think they chose the fix because it was the last episode of the season. I saw an article where parents were crying thinking that it was going to be the last episode ever and were so relieved that it will continue.

The theme was kind of like "everything works out how it's supposed to" so it wasn't designed around the pain of moving per se.

OP, perhaps your friend could speak to her kids about the theme and explain that their move is the "supposed to" and Bluey's family cancelling the move was the "supposed to" since what should happen and what's best is different for every family?
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

We had a somewhat similar thing happen back when we moved. It was in 2015 and our boys were ages 8 and 10. We were moving cross-country. The 8 year old didn't really have any solid friendships yet or an established lifestyle, but our 10 year old did. The one thing we felt bad about with the move was pulling our 10 year old away from his life there. We were just hopeful that he was still young enough that he would adjust and bounce back (and he did and made a very solid friend group here). But shortly before we moved we all went to the theaters and saw Inside Out not really fully knowing what it was about. Honestly, I've never been able to watch that movie again because it hit way too close to home for where we were at that point in our lives. On the one thing we were feeling bad about, it made us feel even worse. And even though it all worked out well in the end for us with us moving, I still have bad feelings towards that movie and don't know if I'll ever watch it again.

That being said, do I think that movie should never have been done? No. I'm sure there are plenty of people who think it's a pretty awesome movie and rightly so. I just will never be one of them.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

You going to tell that to a 6 year old? 'Just get over it'? Great empathy there.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:02 am You know what’s weird about the society we’ve created for ourselves?

Is that anytime a woman shares something that bothers her, she’s immediately told to shut up…and those people expect the same… they know that if they share something that bothers them, they’ll be told to shut up and sit down also.

As though we want to create a society where women are seen and not heard.
True story, off-topic, but still related — just last week a female patient showed up in my friend’s clinic schedule, saying, “it’s probably all in my head, and I should not even be here, but I am so exhausted, and my heart feels like it is racing all the time.” She repeated several times in the visit, “am I being nuts?’ And similar statements.

The lady was genuinely quite ill.

And we talked about how this happens frequently with women, where they feel like they should not even trust their own damn feelings! I have seen patients like this and so has she, but honestly, we could not recall one time, a male has ever doubted his own symptoms, like in 20 years.

So yea, in general, I do sometimes think these types of “you are so over-reacting” messages, result in women silencing & doubting themselves.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:40 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:02 am You know what’s weird about the society we’ve created for ourselves?

Is that anytime a woman shares something that bothers her, she’s immediately told to shut up…and those people expect the same… they know that if they share something that bothers them, they’ll be told to shut up and sit down also.

True story, off-topic, but still related — just last week a female patient showed up in my friend’s clinic schedule, saying, “it’s probably all in my head, and I should not even be here, but I am so exhausted, and my heart feels like it is racing all the time.” She repeated several times in the visit, “am I being nuts?’ And similar statements.

And we talked about how this happens frequently with women, where they feel like they should not even trust their own damn feelings! I have seen patients like this and so has she, but honestly, we could not recall one time, a male has ever doubted his own symptoms, like in 20 years.

So yea, in general, I do sometimes think these types of “you are so over-reacting” messages, result in women silencing & doubting themselves.
We are constantly told that we’re “making too big of a deal of it” and the like… and usually by other women- it’s not usually men telling us this.

It’s just weird…
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

We are constantly told that we’re “making too big of a deal of it” and the like… and usually by other women- it’s not usually men telling us this.

It’s just weird…
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Your healthcare example reminds me of an image I keep seeing on Facebook. The image is of a woman in a gown sitting on the table for her medical exam. But off away from the woman is the woman's husband talking to the doctor presumably going over all the nitty gritty of the woman's condition, as if she can't speak to the doctor for herself.

This image is not common reality today, but it was common reality in our not so distant past. Maybe not in some of our own lifetimes but certainly in our parents' lifetimes. And even when we shed the obvious practice (most women today talk to their own doctor) I feel like remnants of that recent past still linger in our subconscious and affect the way we do things like your example and what Slim is talking about. We've come so far, but it can be hard to completely shake everything from the past without several generations passing.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:56 pm

Your healthcare example reminds me of an image I keep seeing on Facebook. The image is of a woman in a gown sitting on the table for her medical exam. But off away from the woman is the woman's husband talking to the doctor presumably going over all the nitty gritty of the woman's condition, as if she can't speak to the doctor for herself.

This image is not common reality today, but it was common reality in our not so distant past. Maybe not in some of our own lifetimes but certainly in our parents' lifetimes. And even when we shed the obvious practice (most women today talk to their own doctor) I feel like remnants of that recent past still linger in our subconscious and affect the way we do things like your example and what Slim is talking about. We've come so far, but it can be hard to completely shake everything from the past without several generations passing.
My daughter has dealt with strange health issues her whole life. Our doctor always brushed her off since none of them would kill her or we were over reacting. After years of this, her partner (male presenting at the time) asked if they could go with her to the doctor to be an outside person who says "hey, look, this is what I'm seeing going on with her and it's very concerning to me because it's affecting her quality of life". She agreed and they went in with a list and a spreadsheet. Maybe it was the list and the spreadsheet that got the doctor to listen but I have a feeling it was the male in the room saying that having to lie on the kitchen floor halfway through cooking food because she gets dizzy when standing for too long or having to sleep an entire day after doing anything out of her usual routine, or having to keep an icepack on the back of her neck if it's over 25 Celcius was concerning. Shortly afterwards she was diagnosed with POTS and fibromyalgia after testing and given a referral for an autism assessment. I'd been fighting for all these tests since she was 12 (earlier for the autism) and no one would listen.

The days of men speaking for women have disappeared but it still seems like the male voice carries more weight than the female voice when it comes to healthcare.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:06 pm
You going to tell that to a 6 year old? 'Just get over it'? Great empathy there.
I said that to OP because she is notorious for being worked up over super silly things.. I watched it and there is absolutely nothing to get upset about at all. Bluey is great and that episode was all about working things out and understanding others' points of view. There was nothing get annoyed with so Oli's faux outrage is comical.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic