Strange Request?

WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

My 80 year old aunt called me and asked if I would pay her funeral ($4500). She is totally healthy but she's 80 and wants to prepay as she figures (probably accurately) that funeral costs will go up. She is on fixed income and doesn't have the money to prepay. Her reasoning for asking me is that I am her beneficiary so when she dies, I will get her stuff which I would have to sell in order to pay funeral costs so in essence, she's saving me money in the long run.

I'm going to pay but just thought the request was strange and wondered if anyone else has gotten a similar request from a parent or relative.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I would say “ I’ll pay for it all, but we can wait for that one”…

It might be 10-20 years until she dies.

My grandmother lived till’ 104.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:50 pm I would say “ I’ll pay for it all, but we can wait for that one”…

Oh I imagine she'll live at least to 100 unless she dies in a skiing or dog sledding accident. She's SUPER active. She told me she asked my mom first and my mom said no, lol. I mean, if you can financially do it, how do you say no?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It’s weird, but also practical, and I imagine at that age you stop caring if others think what you say is weird.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:52 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:50 pm I would say “ I’ll pay for it all, but we can wait for that one”…

Oh I imagine she'll live at least to 100 unless she dies in a skiing or dog sledding accident. She's SUPER active. She told me she asked my mom first and my mom said no, lol. I mean, if you can financially do it, how do you say no?
It could be various reasons. They might not be comfortable with putting that much money down on something that they can’t get back for twenty years. O whatever she’s putting money down on could change in the next twenty years and they could be worried that they’ll lose the money. Or they might just be uncomfortable planning that far ahead for a relatives death.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:04 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:52 pm

It could be various reasons. They might not be comfortable with putting that much money down on something that they can’t get back for twenty years. O whatever she’s putting money down on could change in the next twenty years and they could be worried that they’ll lose the money. Or they might just be uncomfortable planning that far ahead for a relatives death.
My mom's 87 so I don't think she was looking at it as an investment but rather a gift so I think that's why she said no. I was just surprised because my mom is very generous with my Aunt and this was obviously something that was important to her. My mom is also loaded, lol.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I mean my grandpa wanted to make his own coffin but Tyr cemetery wouldn't let him. My grandma had everything planned and paid for and then family went totally against her wishes and it still makes me mad.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Aww, I mean, she is trying to be responsible and she is in the time of life to plan for these things.

No loved ones have asked me about such things. Lately, I try to avoid the thought of any of the elders in my life dying at all costs. Because every single death is going to be surrounded by drama. I know that sounds awful, but it’s truthful. It’s overwhelming to think about…
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It’s not strange. To me it’s like life insurance when you get older. My dad had his pre planned and had a small $30,000 insurance plan. The insurance was stipulated to be used as funeral payment. Everything however was picked out and prices were locked in for five years at a time. Plot was picked out and paid for. DH and I have our plot picked out and paid for as well. It’s not that unusual
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:53 pm It’s not strange. To me it’s like life insurance when you get older. My dad had his pre planned and had a small $30,000 insurance plan. The insurance was stipulated to be used as funeral payment. Everything however was picked out and prices were locked in for five years at a time. Plot was picked out and paid for. DH and I have our plot picked out and paid for as well. It’s not that unusual
Oh I get that. My parents have everything preplanned and prepaid which was incredibly helpful when my dad died. He even wrote his obituary, paid for the newspaper placement, and had a picture on file with the funeral home. I guess it felt weird as the call and ask was unexpected and kind of sad. But my Aunt is very practical so I should just take it in stride.

I should add that I generally only talk to my Aunt on Christmas and birthdays which made the call even more unexpected.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic