Some Thoughts About This Site

WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I spent two hours this morning contemplating kitchen wall color and this site, lol.

It seems as if the site has two issues - funding and interest. While monetary support will keep the site up and running, it won't drive interest. I really enjoy conversations with the women on this site, but have noticed that the age demographic of the group as a whole has aged (haven't we all!) and so the confessions portion of the site is just not as interesting to me as the politics.

I'm just wondering if the site didn't gradually rebrand into a "woman-2-woman" site open to all women, not just moms, whether that would generate more traffic to the site? I'd also love to see discussion about a wider range of topics that just don't feel as if they "fit" in a confession category, i.e., what color to paint my kitchen! Some do enjoy the occasional arguments or "wars" but to be honest, I see more trolling and heated discussion in a house restoration FB group I belong to then this site so regardless of what's discussed, there will be an element of drama.

Anyway, just some ideas from an aging fuddy-duddy so take it for what it's worth, lol.

I'd love to know if others have ideas on how to grow this site that Skip has so carefully created and maintained. Grow it in a way that will retain us old time Cafe Moms and bring in some new blood.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Let’s do some advertising for the site. Of some of us are I. Facebook groups related to anything related to what we talk about ( or whatever anyone wants to talk about) and post about this website at least three places.

If we do that once a week, all of us might get two or three people to join, but after a while those numbers would build
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I have been saying there is just no advertisement on this site. I'm not talking about the type that costs money but more so on fb groups, reddit etc. People should be linking this site in other places they frequent. I like your idea of moving away from the "confession" side of it. But you answered your own question when you mentioned fb groups for certain interests. Those groups are huge like the Stay at Home mom groups, Home decor groups, MAMA DRAMA. So it will be hard to get people out of a place with so much activity and come to here where it's slow. Just thinking out loud.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I agree with this so much.
Slimshandy wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:43 pm Let’s do some advertising for the site. Of some of us are I. Facebook groups related to anything related to what we talk about ( or whatever anyone wants to talk about) and post about this website at least three places.

If we do that once a week, all of us might get two or three people to join, but after a while those numbers would build
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:43 pm Let’s do some advertising for the site. Of some of us are I. Facebook groups related to anything related to what we talk about ( or whatever anyone wants to talk about) and post about this website at least three places.

I'll be honest, beyond the Politics group, I can't figure out what we consistently talk about. It was easy to direct a mom, especially a young mom, to Cafe Mom as everything from breast feeding to toilet training was discussed. I mean sometimes there are great discussions regarding everything from farming to food on MC, but I would feel weird directing friends to a confession site if they want to discuss those topics, if that makes sense.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:55 pm

I'll be honest, beyond the Politics group, I can't figure out what we consistently talk about. It was easy to direct a mom, especially a young mom, to Cafe Mom as everything from breast feeding to toilet training was discussed. I mean sometimes there are great discussions regarding everything from farming to food on MC, but I would feel weird directing friends to a confession site if they want to discuss those topics, if that makes sense.
That makes total sense, and I think a lot of us come here because we like to say things we might not say to our family or friends… so I think the kind of random groups were in should be targeted.

If we’re in groups about crocheting, aliens, proving the existence of Bigfoot ect.. anything at all- we just find some way to enter this site into a comment.

We do t have to be outwardly saying “come here for a chat!” But just organically mentioning this site everywhere as a comment about how we talk about everything
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:09 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:55 pm

That makes total sense, and I think a lot of us come here because we like to say things we might not say to our family or friends… so I think the kind of random groups were in should be targeted.

If we’re in groups about crocheting, aliens, proving the existence of Bigfoot ect.. anything at all- we just find some way to enter this site into a comment.

We do t have to be outwardly saying “come here for a chat!” But just organically mentioning this site everywhere as a comment about how we talk about everything
I think you and Anon 1 are right but I think we need to work on generating those discussions of interest in the other groups that we follow. Like, if I posted my kitchen wall color question and it generated some discussion, I would have no problem sharing the link to that thread with others.

Now I just have to learn how to post a photo!
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:48 pm I have been saying there is just no advertisement on this site. I'm not talking about the type that costs money but more so on fb groups, reddit etc. People should be linking this site in other places they frequent. I like your idea of moving away from the "confession" side of it. But you answered your own question when you mentioned fb groups for certain interests. Those groups are huge like the Stay at Home mom groups, Home decor groups, MAMA DRAMA. So it will be hard to get people out of a place with so much activity and come to here where it's slow. Just thinking out loud.
I am not sure if they are still active but is anyone on the MC FB groups? Maybe if you are a member there you can lead them over here. Just a thought.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:24 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:48 pm I have been saying there is just no advertisement on this site. I'm not talking about the type that costs money but more so on fb groups, reddit etc. People should be linking this site in other places they frequent. I like your idea of moving away from the "confession" side of it. But you answered your own question when you mentioned fb groups for certain interests. Those groups are huge like the Stay at Home mom groups, Home decor groups, MAMA DRAMA. So it will be hard to get people out of a place with so much activity and come to here where it's slow. Just thinking out loud.
I am not sure if they are still active but is anyone on the MC FB groups? Maybe if you are a member there you can lead them over here. Just a thought.
I am only in 1 (the one carterscutie started) and it is dead as dead can be. A few people linked this site in that group back when it was active. It just didn't seem like those people were interested because it wasn't cafemom and never would be. I don't know.
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

IDK but I think a larger demographic would be cool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic