What would your DD do?

sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

RIZZY wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:52 pm My daughter was the only girl in woodshop and she was sexually harrassed every single day. She didn't tell me until the class was already over- which is VERY uncharacteristic of her. She will normally tell me if a boy even looks at her wrong. Apparently, she was also being bullied that year which she also didn't tell me about. That entire year was a weird year.

This year, my daughter is the only girl in her math class. She is not being sexually harassed but she did say she hates the class. She says that when it's all or mostly boys, they get very toxic and they're mean to the teacher. She hates it but her school does not allow you to change out of classes for something like that, especially since she already changed her schedule around for other reasons.
Thankfully I am not worried that she would have to deal with anything like this if she stayed in the class.

I am sorry that your DD had to go through that. That is ridiculous to me that a teacher would allow that to go on!!
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I’m pretty confident she would, she has been the only girl before in classes and she never considered quitting because of it. My older sons are closer to that age and have been the only boys in classes before. We’ve always had the attitude as a family that gender just doesn’t really matter, we don’t do girls things and boys things so I would tell her that I’m happy to discuss exactly what her concerns are but it’s pretty silly to drop a class you would enjoy and do well in just because of the gender of your classmates. You’re there to learn, they aren’t important.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Only boys here so hard for me to say. But what I have observed from my sons and their friends is that this generation seems to care less about gender in that way. Like, they don't care so much about being the only girl in a group or being the only boy in a group. They just see themselves as a group of kids, period.

Like you said, ultimately it's your DDs choice and she needs to do what she's most comfortable with. But if I was her mom I would try to encourage her to not let this be the reason that deters her.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I don’t have girls. However, if she’s not comfortable and she can, then she should change her schedule. I don’t see anything wrong with a young lady asserting herself by removing herself from a situation she is not comfortable with.
Catdaughter20
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I'm pretty sure my daughter wouldn't mind, she'd probably like it.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Aww I also have a 16yo DD who is a junior. If she signed up because she really wanted to take it she would just tough it out that it would be all boys. I mean if she drops it now it still might be all boys the next time she signs up also?
Rosehawk
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

sarah824 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:36 am Wondering how your daughters would handle a situation...

DD is 16 and a junior in HS. She got her schedule for the 2nd trimester along with the Google classroom invites last night. She got put into a wood shop class that she wanted, but she is pretty sure she is the only girl in the class. There are about 15-20 kids in class. She knows most of the boys in the class, but is not friends with them. She loves the teacher and is excited for the class, but does not want to be the only girl. She said if she gets there today and is the only girl then she is going to transfer out and see about taking the class some other time. I told her it might be ok being the only girl especially with this particular teacher, but ultimately the choice is hers to make.

What would your daughter do in this situation? Would she stay in the class as the only girl or would she try to find a different time to take the class?
My 16 year old would stay in the class, and it wouldn't bother her. Most of her friends are guys anyway. She'd probably take it as a personal challenge to be the best in the class. She doesn't let anything stop her, when she wants it bad enough.

My 9 year old wouldn't step foot into the classroom if she was the only girl, and didn't know anyone.
I used to be a people person
Then people ruined it
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I just asked my DD(16) and she said she'd love to be the only girl in the class!
CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My dd wouldn't care. Her best friends are boys. She has one of her 4 boys in all her classes.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I’d be telling my daughters, screw being the “only girl” be “The Best”… there’s only one of them too.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic