Need ideas for food.

Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

PoplarGrove wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:14 pm Make you own pizzas with everyone bringing a topping, charcuterie, cheese fondu could be fun.

When i played D&D we lived off doritos and Dr Pepper. Your food sounds so much better, lol
We tried the "bring your own snacks" thing when we first started hosting and it usually consisted of only one or 2 people remembering and it was Crumbl cookies, left over halloween candy, and pretzels with everyone raiding my fridge and freezer for something with more sustenance. Planning to feed them and just have them bring aspects of the meal like toppings is a whole lot cheaper for everyone and easier for me. And the DnD group is appreciative and more inclined to help clean up.....This last week I even got them to come early and put up my Christmas tree and window lights.
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:08 pm
RIZZY wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:00 pm A dip bar would also be fun. Different kinds of chips and dips. A charcuterie board/grazing board. Those viral chopped sandwiches- my kids and all of their friends are obsessed.
Chopped sandwich?
My bad, they call it the "grinder" sandwich or "grinder salad". They basically chop together all of the meat, fixings, salad dressings, etc., rather than layering it like you would a normal sandwich. There are a ton of variations, just google TikTok Viral Grinder Sandwich. I personally prefer it a more traditional/layered way but my kids like trying viral recipes.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

RIZZY wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:12 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:08 pm
RIZZY wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:00 pm A dip bar would also be fun. Different kinds of chips and dips. A charcuterie board/grazing board. Those viral chopped sandwiches- my kids and all of their friends are obsessed.
Chopped sandwich?
My bad, they call it the "grinder" sandwich or "grinder salad". They basically chop together all of the meat, fixings, salad dressings, etc., rather than layering it like you would a normal sandwich. There are a ton of variations, just google TikTok Viral Grinder Sandwich. I personally prefer it a more traditional/layered way but my kids like trying viral recipes.
Oh. Ok, I know what a grinder is.....I like how the kids these days are calling it a "chopped sandwich" and acting like it's something new....like the tiktok of the girl who "discoverd" Skorts.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

You could do bbq sandwiches. You supply the meat and have everyone else bring buns, chips, or some other side dish. BBQ also goes great on baked potatoes…
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Build your own sub sandwiches and bring the kid's all with you to shop for what types of breads, meats, cheeses, and veggies they want for their individual sandwiches.

Add to this a veggie tray with again, having them help pick out what they want.

Talk to their parent's about how much cash to send with them.
just an old coot 😉🌵
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

AZOldGal66 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:23 pm Build your own sub sandwiches and bring the kid's all with you to shop for what types of breads, meats, cheeses, and veggies they want for their individual sandwiches.

Um, No. This is not something that works..sorry if my post wasn't clear. ..these are teens many of who drive and have their own jobs...but still have limited cash to spend. I'm not taking 9 teenagers to the grocery store to pick out what they want......I need potluck type ideas where the teens bring single items....for example someone mentioned dipping foods. So I could provide chicken nuggets...and one teen can bring tomatoes, or celery, or cheese, ranch dip, etc. Or a chili bar where I make the chili and the teens bring sour cream, cheese, a box of crackers or chips, etc. You're over complicating it.
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:12 pm
AZOldGal66 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:23 pm Build your own sub sandwiches and bring the kid's all with you to shop for what types of breads, meats, cheeses, and veggies they want for their individual sandwiches.

Um, No. This is not something that works..sorry if my post wasn't clear. ..these are teens many of who drive and have their own jobs...but still have limited cash to spend. I'm not taking 9 teenagers to the grocery store to pick out what they want......I need potluck type ideas where the teens bring single items....for example someone mentioned dipping foods. So I could provide chicken nuggets...and one teen can bring tomatoes, or celery, or cheese, ranch dip, etc. Or a chili bar where I make the chili and the teens bring sour cream, cheese, a box of crackers or chips, etc. You're over complicating it.
I took the time to write out a reply to give suggestions.

Take them or leave them.

Seems you have figured this out. Cool beans!
just an old coot 😉🌵
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

AZOldGal66 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:52 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:12 pm

I took the time to write out a reply to give suggestions.

Take them or leave them.

Seems you have figured this out. Cool beans!
I have a rather good idea. Taco bar, potato bar, chili, build your own pizza, pasta, etc. But was looking for ideas I might have over looked, for example the Poke bowl one was great and something I hadn't considered. It simply needs to be easy and something where each teen can contribute one or two items/ingredients to make a meal or main course without much prep work or cooking involved. The easier, the better.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Loaded fries "bar", nachos, sheet pan gyros or fajitas, soup and grilled sandwiches, make your own paninis, noodle bowls.

I'm an 80s kids whose young adult daughter has just discovered fondue. I'm like, "OH GIRL, I got this"! If interested, fondue pots can be found in re-sell stores for cheap.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:59 pm Loaded fries "bar", nachos, sheet pan gyros or fajitas, soup and grilled sandwiches, make your own paninis, noodle bowls.

I'm an 80s kids whose young adult daughter has just discovered fondue. I'm like, "OH GIRL, I got this"! If interested, fondue pots can be found in re-sell stores for cheap.
Fondue is a great idea and there are always fondue pots at the local goodwill. I've been trying to come up with an excuse to buy one....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic