Dogs at Thanksgiving dinner

Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

We're a dog family so it's never really been an issue. My parents' rottie always lays down by my dad and waits for him to share and then when he's done, she moves to my mom because my mom is more prone to drop stuff. She sometimes sticks her head up onto the table to see what everyone else has left (if she's feeling particularly neglected, she will lay her head on my arm so she can sniff my scraps).

Last year I brought my dog and they both waited patiently, flanking my dad as he fed them both LOL. After he finished, my dog waited between me and my kid and Bella moved to mom to wait for dropped food.
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It’s their house so they’re rules. Our dogs don’t come near the table, but thats they training ability and our preference. My sister in laws dog gets anxious if made to be in a separate room, so he lays quietly under the table, he just lays there and isn’t getting into anyone’s lap, so it doesn’t bother us. If they were fighting I’d do something out of concern for the dog, but just laying under the table I’d leave them be if they aren’t my dog. It’s like I don’t allow shoes in my house and consider it unclean, but I don’t judge someone if they allow it in their house.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:21 pm It’s their house so their rules.
Yep.

It does sound a bit like an medieval English feasting hall being visited by a French courtier.
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

We put our dog's and cat's up in different bedrooms while company is over for a meal and for the simple reason that they will annoy everyone.

Everyone has different rules though.
just an old coot 😉🌵
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Our 15 year old Golden Retriever is generally under our table when we eat as a family but we put him in another room when guests are there, unless we forget that he's under the table, lol.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

We were guests at a home, where the dog had a seat (the same as the humans) at the Thanksgiving table. 😳 I said nothing — I am just a guest.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

How funny....and unusual! :lol:
LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:00 am We were guests at a home, where the dog had a seat (the same as the humans) at the Thanksgiving table. 😳 I said nothing — I am just a guest.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:18 pm Every year we go to my Mil's for Thanksgiving. They have 2 big dogs. They are always underneath the dining room table as we are eating. One year the dogs were fighting and shaking the table and hitting our legs!! :o This year they were not fighting but they were still under the table as we were eating. What do you think of this?
Hate dogs. That would piss me off. Reminds me of that scene in Christmas Vacation when Cousin Eddie has his big. snotty, slobbery dog under the table.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I wouldn't like it but not my house so I'd deal with it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic