Dogs at Thanksgiving dinner

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Every year we go to my Mil's for Thanksgiving. They have 2 big dogs. They are always underneath the dining room table as we are eating. One year the dogs were fighting and shaking the table and hitting our legs!! :o This year they were not fighting but they were still under the table as we were eating. What do you think of this?
sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

That would absolutely drive me nuts, but I have always been a firm believer of - The dog lives there and you don't so the dog/home owner gets to make the rules. If you don't like it then you don't have to be there. The dogs have no choice in being in the home.

We have 2 big dogs and I will not tolerate begging or watching people eat. This would include being under the table while we eat, but I have trained both dogs since they were young to go lay on their beds while we are eating so they know better.
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I dislike it but if the dogs are not causing an issue- like begging, trying to eat off the table, making people trip, etc.- then I wouldn't say anything.

We train our dogs to go to their kennels while we are eating. They sit facing us but won't look at us. It's funny but so convenient. I would be so embarrassed if my dogs were beggars or jumped up on people while they were eating.
Gorilla_Mama
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Did they try to stop the fighting last year? My dog hangs around when we eat but she doesn’t beg or be annoying so it doesn’t bother me
Anonymous 2

Unread post

My dogs sleep under the table while we eat. That doesn't bother me but if they ever started causing trouble like fighting they wouldn't be allowed.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

But in a sense, yes we do have to be there or we will be guilt tripped and things like that. But yes that is the dogs' home, but it seems like common sense that at least on special occasions, that the dogs should be out of the way and not under the table by people's feet and legs while eating.
sarah824 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:27 pm That would absolutely drive me nuts, but I have always been a firm believer of - The dog lives there and you don't so the dog/home owner gets to make the rules. If you don't like it then you don't have to be there. The dogs have no choice in being in the home.

We have 2 big dogs and I will not tolerate begging or watching people eat. This would include being under the table while we eat, but I have trained both dogs since they were young to go lay on their beds while we are eating so they know better.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

If I'm being completely honest, I truly can't remember if they tried to stop the dogs from fighting last year. I think I was in a shock or something about it and then I completely shut down. It was strange. I do know for a fact though that the dogs continued being under the table..they did not remove them.
Gorilla_Mama wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:52 pm Did they try to stop the fighting last year? My dog hangs around when we eat but she doesn’t beg or be annoying so it doesn’t bother me
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I never say anything but it's just odd to me. We used to have 2 big dogs that have passed away now but they never were under the kitchen table while we ate and definitely not when there was company either. There are plenty of other places the dogs can chill out at..even still in the kitchen/dining room but why under the table?
RIZZY wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:28 pm I dislike it but if the dogs are not causing an issue- like begging, trying to eat off the table, making people trip, etc.- then I wouldn't say anything.

We train our dogs to go to their kennels while we are eating. They sit facing us but won't look at us. It's funny but so convenient. I would be so embarrassed if my dogs were beggars or jumped up on people while they were eating.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

That's ridiculous but not surprising. People have stopped looking at dogs as pets and now treat them like people. I would never put my dogs that aren't behaving over the comfort of my guests.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Christmas Vacation vibes! LOL
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic