How do you make your mashed potatoes?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I have tried just about every recipe/technique out there, including all the viral recipes, and I find old school is the best. Peeling mashed potatoes is just as easy as any of the other techniques, IMO. I peel them, chop into large chunks, boil in chicken broth, let my milk and butter warm to room temperature, and mash with a masher. I also don't mind very small chunks, I actually think totally smooth mashed potatoes are less desirable. But if I want them totally smooth, I would just use an immersion blender.

What's your favorite technique?
sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Peel, chop in large chunks, boil in water with a generous amount of minced garlic, add butter and half-and-half and mash with a hand masher.

I also don't mind them a little lumpy. I agree that totally smooth aren't as good...
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Peel, boil in water, hand mash with heavy whipping cream, butter, garlic salt, pepper
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Same as you except I prefer smooth mashed potatoes, so I use a hand mixer. Don’t know why I never thought of using an immersion blender though.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I like smashed potatoes with peels left on. I usually use red potatoes, cut into chunks, boil with garlic cloves and milk, drain, add butter, salt and pepper, and cream and smash until they look like I like them. Serve right away or put in a casserole with melted butter on top and stick in a warm oven until ready to serve.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

I usually peal, boil in water, drain, and mash with butter milk and salt but this year I tried boiling them in milk instead and mashing without draining. It was so good and easier. I'll never go back. Next time I'll try adding butter and salt in when I first start cooking them though.
Gorilla_Mama
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I peel them, boil in water, add in milk, salt, pepper, cheese, and whip with a hand mixer. I like smooth potatoes.
CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I use red or yellow potatos. I chop them with skin on. Put them in my instant pot with chicken broth, salt and pepper. 18 minutes on high. Add one to two sticks on butter. Smash them together. Add cream if too thick. I like mashed potatoes chunky.
sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

CherryTreez wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:15 pm I use red or yellow potatos. I chop them with skin on. Put them in my instant pot with chicken broth, salt and pepper. 18 minutes on high. Add one to two sticks on butter. Smash them together. Add cream if too thick. I like mashed potatoes chunky.
I had not thought about using the instant pot for mashed potatoes... Now I want to make them again just to try them.
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Everything in the water whole- no peeling, no chopping…

About an hour later ( less if the potatoes are smaller) they’ll pop open and it’s ready to drain.

Potato smasher goes in, smash it all up, then add milk, heavy cream, butter, salt, garlic powder.

mix again and serve.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic