Period panties

Deleted User 670

Unread post

Momdiggity wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:45 am
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:30 am My daughter started her period early too at 10 1/2. It is hard for any girl that young to take care of something like that. I wish the makers of Always, Tampax and Playtex would make hip, adorable disposable panties that young girls (and women) could use instead of regular panties and so they wouldn't have to worry about leaks or staining their panties and could just toss them and pull out new ones if they had a leak. If little kids can have swim diapers and pull ups, then I know it's possible.

My daughter was the same way. She's a heavy bleeder too. I finally bought some PLU fabric that is used to line cloth diapers and sewed a panel in some of her underwear for her period so when she leaked, it would leak not out into her clothes. I use one of her long overnight heavy pads as a pattern. They worked out pretty well for her. She's now on birth control pills for her heavy periods and severe cramping.
Thanks, what a great idea! I bet even I can pull that off with my limited sewing skills! We are going to look into the pill too. This is too young for all this hassle!
It was pretty easy. I just used a tiny zig zag stitch to sew them in. I had a seam allowance for the crotch to encase the leg elastic like the wings did but just narrower to protect the elastic. It worked great for her, she didn't have any more leaks even if she couldn't get to the bathroom to change her pad for a while. On heavy days she'd have to wear the overnight pads during the days as well and change them every couple of hours.
xsxpxixdxexrxsx
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I would say that period panties are meant to be used with other period products. They're not a replacement for other things..
I have a few pairs and I use them with my diva cup. I do use them on their own near the end when the flow is super light, but not enough to warrant using my cup. They're easy to use and clean. Maybe cloth pads might be a better option?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Momdiggity wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:49 am
Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:47 am I use them but with my PCOS I don't bleed very heavy. I like not having to use a tampon and I've always hated pads. I don't think the panties would be good for a heavy day. One weird problem I have with them that I haven't noticed anyone else mention is the location of the absorbent part on all the brands I've seen (and the ones I have). The absorbent material starts at the bottom of the crotch and goes all the way back to the waistband in the back. I need more of that material towards the front instead. I've actually worn mine backwards sometimes lol.
Thanks, that’s good to know. How clever to wear them backwards.

One thing I did for my kiddo when she was younger was put pads in clean underwear ready for her to wear. She kept those in her locker and could just put them on when needed, and the panties that she had been wearing into a bag to bring home.

Best of luck. :)
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:47 am I use them but with my PCOS I don't bleed very heavy. I like not having to use a tampon and I've always hated pads. I don't think the panties would be good for a heavy day. One weird problem I have with them that I haven't noticed anyone else mention is the location of the absorbent part on all the brands I've seen (and the ones I have). The absorbent material starts at the bottom of the crotch and goes all the way back to the waistband in the back. I need more of that material towards the front instead. I've actually worn mine backwards sometimes lol.
Good to know. I've thought about trying period underwear as a backup on my heavy days and by themselves on my lighter days. But I definitely need the protection up front. When I use a pantiliner, I always place it more forward than the curves of the liner intend. Because when stuff comes out it always comes out forward, never to the back and really never straight down either. I've wondered if I'm the only one with that problem.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:24 pm
Good to know. I've thought about trying period underwear as a backup on my heavy days and by themselves on my lighter days. But I definitely need the protection up front. When I use a pantiliner, I always place it more forward than the curves of the liner intend. Because when stuff comes out it always comes out forward, never to the back and really never straight down either. I've wondered if I'm the only one with that problem.

Lol. I thought maybe I just had weird anatomy! Glad I'm not the only one. But who bleeds all the way to the elastic waistband in the back? Maybe some men designed these or something.
Locked Previous topicNext topic