I had to fire two of my favorite employees

Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:50 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:44 am
Frau Holle wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:28 am Ugh.

How dare you... really. To think that you should have such control over other people.
I have the right to enforce policies that they agreed to follow. If they didn't like the policy no one was forcing them to start working here in the first place.
And I say again... ugh. How dare you think you should have such control over people.
At least in the US, these types of policies around dating are quite common. Employees dating each other can cause problems for the employer, and the employer has a right to protect themselves.
Think what you want about the policy itself but these people knew and agreed to the policy when they were hired, and then violated the policy. When you agree to a policy and then violate a policy, you suffer consequences. Pretty simple.
Lotus
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:00 pm My company has a very strict no dating policy. There was a lawsuit years ago and after that they put the policy in place.

Two people in my department announced they were dating. Upper management found out and told me I had to fire them. The employee said they didn't think the rule was serious. She was crying and begging me not to. We were pretty close friends but I know that is never going to be the same again.

I knew she kind of liked him but I didn't think she would go against the rules like that. I hate the whole situation. I hate the stupid policy and I hate that I had to be involved in any of this.

After the dust settles if things between you are not the same then she never valued the friendship in the same way that you did if you think you are close.
Who cries and begs at work and thinks that is a good thing? Its unfortunate, I hope it works out the way you want it to.
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:34 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:44 am

I have the right to enforce policies that they agreed to follow. If they didn't like the policy no one was forcing them to start working here in the first place.
And I say again... ugh. How dare you think you should have such control over people.
At least in the US, these types of policies around dating are quite common. Employees dating each other can cause problems for the employer, and the employer has a right to protect themselves.
Think what you want about the policy itself but these people knew and agreed to the policy when they were hired, and then violated the policy. When you agree to a policy and then violate a policy, you suffer consequences. Pretty simple.
Whether it’s normal or not is irrelevant, it’s a huge invasion of privacy and there is no employer on earth that should have any sort of control over which penises are allowed to enter his employees and which ones aren’t.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:39 pm

Whether it’s normal or not is irrelevant, it’s a huge invasion of privacy and there is no employer on earth that should have any sort of control over which penises are allowed to enter his employees and which ones aren’t.
Can you see the favoritism problems that can arise out of this? Say one manager has 4 employees reporting directly to him. Say he's in a relationship with one of those 4. Say he is in charge of determining raises for those 4 employees. You don't think he'd want to give his gf/wife a bigger raise than the others? You don't think he'd let his gf/wife get away with extra time off and such? Or lets say he's straight-laced and does things by the book, but one of the other employees doesn't. You don't think she won't try to accuse the manager of favoritism to his gf/wife?
These are the problems that employers are trying to avoid with this type of policy. Are you denying an employers right to protect themselves?
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:49 pm

Can you see the favoritism problems that can arise out of this? Say one manager has 4 employees reporting directly to him. Say he's in a relationship with one of those 4. Say he is in charge of determining raises for those 4 employees. You don't think he'd want to give his gf/wife a bigger raise than the others? You don't think he'd let his gf/wife get away with extra time off and such? Or lets say he's straight-laced and does things by the book, but one of the other employees doesn't. You don't think she won't try to accuse the manager of favoritism to his gf/wife?
These are the problems that employers are trying to avoid with this type of policy. Are you denying an employers right to protect themselves?
I am saying that employers should never be allowed to dictate the S*x lives of their employees.

If a man wants to protect himself he can easily make a decision not to date his employees, that should be his choice.

But for a boss to tell their employees who they are allowed to sleep with and who they aren’t allowed to sleep with is sick.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:04 pm

I am saying that employers should never be allowed to dictate the S*x lives of their employees.

If a man wants to protect himself he can easily make a decision not to date his employees, that should be his choice.

But for a boss to tell their employees who they are allowed to sleep with and who they aren’t allowed to sleep with is sick.
So a company shouldn't be allowed to protect themselves?
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:07 pm

So a company shouldn't be allowed to protect themselves?
No, a company should not be allowed to “protect themselves” by taking control of their employees S*x lives. Not at all.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Agree to disagree.
lauren08
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I’m sorry, but that’s not the way it works in the US. You can have that opinion yourself, but that’s the policy, and when terms are agreed to, consequences ensue for violating those terms. Relationships in the workplace can lead to favoritism and conflicts of interest. A manager can give preference to a subordinate if he/she is romantically involved with the manager. How is that fair to the other employees? That policy is quite common in American workplaces... your personal feelings don’t change that reality.
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

lauren08 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:32 pm

I’m sorry, but that’s not the way it works in the US. You can have that opinion yourself, but that’s the policy, and when terms are agreed to, consequences ensue for violating those terms. Relationships in the workplace can lead to favoritism and conflicts of interest. A manager can give preference to a subordinate if he/she is romantically involved with the manager. How is that fair to the other employees? That policy is quite common in American workplaces... your personal feelings don’t change that reality.
Is this even a post about a boss dating an employee? Because it reads like this is about two employees dating.
Locked Previous topicNext topic