funny pranks

Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Where did I say racist? I didn't. I explained the impact that statements like those have on members of the race they are targeting, especially children. I am not getting into a debate about how wrong it is to call it the china or wuhan virus, I am keeping on the topic that I quoted.
Anonymous 5 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:28 pm That is by no means a racist statement. When the world first learned of this virus, it was thought (and some still think) that it originated in Wuhan. So, it wouldn't be a stretch to refer to it as the Wuhan or China virus.

I do think, though, that the virus being referred to as the CHINESE virus is, or at least could be, offensive.
Olioxenfree wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:47 pm
agander2017 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:57 am

If you learn to read, you would notice someone actually said in their opinion it wasn't a good idea. She wasn't offended, and she didn't get her panties in a twist over it. That's what made me change it in a different comment. I realized it was offensive, but didn't at the time that I posted it the first time. Our family jokes about stuff like that all of the time. Whenever my son starts his fake sneezing and coughing in a store I always respond to the dirty looks with "Sorry, I guess this was a bad time for a family trip to China". You don't have to be a rude jerk. Better yet, if you don't like something, you don't have to read it.

It's called being an adult.
My dad is Japanese and many assume we are part Chinese. When the pandemic first reached the US, before everything closed, I was walking down a sidewalk to my car with my eight year old son. A man coughed and then joked "I swear I haven't been to China." We got in our car and my very social son asks me "mom, what if kids at school don't like me anymore because they think I'm Chinese." I wanted to tell him that that wouldn't happen, but I couldn't lie to him. One positive side of sheltering in place is there was only a brief period of time that my kids had to witness and experience ignorant remarks and actions from others. It is one of the things I am scared of when they eventually go back to school. Maybe think a little more about the impact that your words have.
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:38 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:54 am

It was a tasteless joke. And no, this is olii, she isnt the only one who points out when someone says something distasteful, another user called her out as well if you read.
If you learn to read, you would notice someone actually said in their opinion it wasn't a good idea. She wasn't offended, and she didn't get her panties in a twist over it. That's what made me change it in a different comment. I realized it was offensive, but didn't at the time that I posted it the first time. Our family jokes about stuff like that all of the time. Whenever my son starts his fake sneezing and coughing in a store I always respond to the dirty looks with "Sorry, I guess this was a bad time for a family trip to China". You don't have to be a rude jerk. Better yet, if you don't like something, you don't have to read it.

Your family jokes like that all the time? Weren’t you the one who, in the Trump parody book post, said you would never joke about things like that and you’re teaching your son it’s never okay to make fun of others? And that humor has to be “age appropriate” and all that. I sense some inconsistency.
When I said "Our Family" I mean my in-laws, and sometimes my parents. My husband's uncle calls Covid the Wahoo Flu. When someone is giving me dirty looks because my son is pretending to cough or sneeze in public, and actually says something about it, yes, I do get a bit snarky. I'm not perfect. I don't think saying something like "We just got back from China" is a bad thing. He doesn't understand it. And going to China generally isn't a bad thing. It just is right now. I don't go around calling people pigs, and jerks, and everything else. So no, you don't sense inconsistency. Yes, I sensor what my kid hears and sees. I don't think a book about our president made to look like a pig is a good thing to show him, or any child. I never said humor had to be age appropriate. I said it's not good to have things like that book. How I wouldn't want him to even see one about Obama, you know "If you put a donkey in the White house"? I don't like Obama. Never have, never will, but I don't think it's okay to make books about things like that. Yes, we have family and friends that joke about it. And yes, I am guilty of it from time to time, but I'm working on fixing that about myself to teach my son to be better. She wanted to play a prank on her friend. This was just a suggestion.

agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:08 pm

It was a tasteless joke. And no, this is olii, she isnt the only one who points out when someone says something distasteful, another user called her out as well if you read.

I am not the one being a rude jerk here. I just pointed out that it is a distasteful thing to joke about. You are the one who is being rude. I have never commented to you before, but to be honest from what I've observed you have a streak of never admitting when you are wrong. When someone calls you out on something, you act rude, give backhanded apologies, and get overly defensive instead of just learning from your mistakes. It's always someone else who has the problem.
Admitting your mistakes and learning from them is part of being an adult. I don't know who gave you the idea that adults can't voice when they see something they don't think is right. If your family "jokes like that all of the time", maybe you want to reevaluate what your family thinks is a joke and what you're teaching your kids is humorous. If you don't know better, that's okay, you didn't know better. But, when someone says hey, that's not cool, but you defend yourself, brush it off as no big deal, and continue making your jokes about China in the grocery store, you know longer can play the "I didn't know" excuse, that's when it turns to xenophobia.
Go back and read. I apologized for offending someone, and even made a different suggestion. Yes, I do admit when I'm wrong, actually. I wasn't rude at first. I wasn't trying to offend anyone. It was just an idea for her to play a prank on her friends. Perhaps you should learn reading comprehension, or perhaps read all of the comments before you make one of your own, saying things you don't know. I'm not always a jerk, until someone does it to me first. I wasn't rude to the first person that commented telling me they thought the joke was in bad taste. Maybe you missed that one.

agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

My dad is Japanese and many assume we are part Chinese. When the pandemic first reached the US, before everything closed, I was walking down a sidewalk to my car with my eight year old son. A man coughed and then joked "I swear I haven't been to China." We got in our car and my very social son asks me "mom, what if kids at school don't like me anymore because they think I'm Chinese." I wanted to tell him that that wouldn't happen, but I couldn't lie to him. One positive side of sheltering in place is there was only a brief period of time that my kids had to witness and experience ignorant remarks and actions from others. It is one of the things I am scared of when they eventually go back to school. Maybe think a little more about the impact that your words have.
Again, I wasn't trying to offend anyone. I apologize if I did. And I did change it. I don't always think about what I say before I say it, and that's a terrible habit. I'm sorry your son had to go through that. Yes, I've made comments about going to China, and I shouldn't, but I can only take so many dirty looks. I was out with a friend of mine, we were grocery shopping. She is Chinese. We were having a good time shopping and talking. 2 older women started making comments to her. Before I could say something, she looked them straight in the eye and said "You better run, I just came back from the homeland". That's honestly where I picked it up from. Perhaps it's not appropriate for me to say it, and I will try to remember that from now on. Again, I'm sorry if I offended you, or anyone else. That wasn't my intention. It was just a prank to play on her friends.

Anonymous 5

Unread post

A man coughing and saying, "I swear I wasn't just in China" in no way perpetuates a disliking of Chinese people.
Olioxenfree wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:38 pm Where did I say racist? I didn't. I explained the impact that statements like those have on members of the race they are targeting, especially children. I am not getting into a debate about how wrong it is to call it the china or wuhan virus, I am keeping on the topic that I quoted.
Anonymous 5 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:28 pm That is by no means a racist statement. When the world first learned of this virus, it was thought (and some still think) that it originated in Wuhan. So, it wouldn't be a stretch to refer to it as the Wuhan or China virus.

I do think, though, that the virus being referred to as the CHINESE virus is, or at least could be, offensive.

Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

agander2017 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:10 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:38 pm

Your family jokes like that all the time? Weren’t you the one who, in the Trump parody book post, said you would never joke about things like that and you’re teaching your son it’s never okay to make fun of others? And that humor has to be “age appropriate” and all that. I sense some inconsistency.
When I said "Our Family" I mean my in-laws, and sometimes my parents. My husband's uncle calls Covid the Wahoo Flu. When someone is giving me dirty looks because my son is pretending to cough or sneeze in public, and actually says something about it, yes, I do get a bit snarky. I'm not perfect. I don't think saying something like "We just got back from China" is a bad thing. He doesn't understand it. And going to China generally isn't a bad thing. It just is right now. I don't go around calling people pigs, and jerks, and everything else. So no, you don't sense inconsistency. Yes, I sensor what my kid hears and sees. I don't think a book about our president made to look like a pig is a good thing to show him, or any child. I never said humor had to be age appropriate. I said it's not good to have things like that book. How I wouldn't want him to even see one about Obama, you know "If you put a donkey in the White house"? I don't like Obama. Never have, never will, but I don't think it's okay to make books about things like that. Yes, we have family and friends that joke about it. And yes, I am guilty of it from time to time, but I'm working on fixing that about myself to teach my son to be better. She wanted to play a prank on her friend. This was just a suggestion.
That book was for adults not children. No one would show that to a child. Making fun of presidents is as American as apple pie and Trump brings it upon himself. He deserves to be called what he is. As far as the sign I've talked to one person that literally believed the Chinese deliberately lied about this virus and let it loose upon the world on purpose. So with conspiracies like this floating around I can see how that can be offensive. So is the book but if i thought Trump cared about anyone but himself I'd protest. Hypocrite? So be it.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:25 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:49 pm
mcginnisc wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:51 pm

I am not Oli and was the first one to tell her it *is* in fact in the current climate to be distasteful. Considering Asians, specifically Chinese people have been targeted over and over due to Covid because our illustrious leader referring to the virus as the Wuhan virus or the Chinese virus..it is in poor taste. I've seen first hand what this has done in regards to targeting Asians as my daughter is Chinese.
The other things she listed- cool with me. I particularly like the dolls although it would freak me out.. the sign? Not okay.
I don't like Trump at all but he's correct that it came from Wuhan and that is not distasteful, it's not racism, it's a fact. It's actually quite a bit more in poor taste to unleash a pandemic, try to hide it, lie about it then try to blame America for it. No one needed him to say it came from Wuhan once China stopped lying. It's customary to name a disease after where it originates and always has been. As for Asians being targeted, I haven't seen one of those stories that was actually proven, like most of the hate crime stories for the last several years, they are typically hoaxes. The hoaxes need to start being prosecuted.
By not referring it to its actual name: Coronavius Disease-2019 or COVID19, he is making it racist. Full stop.
Asians have been beaten, told to go back where they came from, etc because racists think that they are responsible for this pandemic.. Scientists also believe this strand originated in Europe so calling it the Wuhan flu or Chinese virus is asinine at best and just continues to perpetuate hatred for Asians.
Lady you have some real issues. I'm Chinese and thought the joke was funny. Get over yourself and stop trying to talk for a group of people you don't even belong to.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:08 pm

I am not the one being a rude jerk here. I just pointed out that it is a distasteful thing to joke about. You are the one who is being rude. I have never commented to you before, but to be honest from what I've observed you have a streak of never admitting when you are wrong. When someone calls you out on something, you act rude, give backhanded apologies, and get overly defensive instead of just learning from your mistakes. It's always someone else who has the problem.
Admitting your mistakes and learning from them is part of being an adult. I don't know who gave you the idea that adults can't voice when they see something they don't think is right. If your family "jokes like that all of the time", maybe you want to reevaluate what your family thinks is a joke and what you're teaching your kids is humorous. If you don't know better, that's okay, you didn't know better. But, when someone says hey, that's not cool, but you defend yourself, brush it off as no big deal, and continue making your jokes about China in the grocery store, you know longer can play the "I didn't know" excuse, that's when it turns to xenophobia.
But she had an issue with a pig book and it not being okay because it was mean to others but she uses an entire country already under social scrutiny as a joke? Oh, she’s a joke. Pathetic example of a positive and peaceful person.
Locked Previous topicNext topic