Mental illness turning into a fad?

Anonymous 4

Unread post

I do agree that there are many people who put things on social media simply as a means to say, "Hey! Look at me!" But I also don't think that every person who states that they suffer from depression, are introverted, or are extroverted is divulging that to get attention.

Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:07 am Well sure it is, these teens are just following what adults have been doing for quite a while now. Adults seem to need the online attention & tell everyone what their mental problem is.

How many mom confessions members have said how they have depression, or they are introverted or extroverted. Lol
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:41 am I'm not sure being introverted or extroverted qualifies as a mental problem.
Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:07 am Well sure it is, these teens are just following what adults have been doing for quite a while now. Adults seem to need the online attention & tell everyone what their mental problem is.

How many mom confessions members have said how they have depression, or they are introverted or extroverted. Lol
Lol, right? Everyone falls somewhere on the introversion or extraversion spectrum — it’s a foundation of the validated Meyer-Briggs personality test. I found her comment really amusing!
Anonymous 5

Unread post

It’s the bad part of awareness I guess. There are people with Youtube channels showing their lives with DID and other illnesses. So like with anything, the trolls come out in full force.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I found it amusing too, I shared it with my husband. We had a good laugh. :lol:
LiveWhatULove wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:31 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:41 am I'm not sure being introverted or extroverted qualifies as a mental problem.

Lol, right? Everyone falls somewhere on the introversion or extraversion spectrum — it’s a foundation of the validated Meyer-Briggs personality test. I found her comment really amusing!
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:53 am I find it really hard to believe that someone experiencing a panic attack can actually log on to a social site to film it. I've seen my daughter have a full blown panic attack, it's like she's frozen and cannot move. And I'm not well versed in DID but I thought that was really rare.
It is very rare. It’s also not like most people portray it to be. Most of the time, no one can distinguish between switches of a person with Did. It also isn’t different people in the same body. It’s just amazing how many people are so uneducated about DID that they post videos of “alters.” I know that it took me years to get my diagnosis because my switches are so subtle.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

Definitely my son was diagnosed with spd (not by me I didn't even know about it) and some of the groups on Facebook people were bouncing from place to place desperate to get a diagnosis because normal things that make people cringe bother them (ie nails on a chalkboard type stuff). I also saw a lot of people asking how they could get a diagnosis for their unborn baby.
I always feel like I have to clarify that my ds was diagnosed with autism, adhd, spd, and anxiety by a medical professional because of these crazy people.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 6 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:36 pm Definitely my son was diagnosed with spd (not by me I didn't even know about it) and some of the groups on Facebook people were bouncing from place to place desperate to get a diagnosis because normal things that make people cringe bother them (ie nails on a chalkboard type stuff). I also saw a lot of people asking how they could get a diagnosis for their unborn baby.
I always feel like I have to clarify that my ds was diagnosed with autism, adhd, spd, and anxiety by a medical professional because of these crazy people.
Wait what? They want their unborn child diagnosed? How would that work?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:53 am I find it really hard to believe that someone experiencing a panic attack can actually log on to a social site to film it. I've seen my daughter have a full blown panic attack, it's like she's frozen and cannot move. And I'm not well versed in DID but I thought that was really rare.
The panic attack moments that I’ve seen were clearly staged down to the propped phone and lighting. The times I’ve had panic attacks I wasn’t in the right mind to set up a video session it’s literally a flight or fight moment not a oooh I can feel it coming better break out the phone and check the lighting.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:59 am I am not well versed in any medical conditions like those. There are people that have legitimate mental health issues and if these teens are poking fun, mocking, etc.. it is wrong IMO.
None of us have tik tok so I have never seen any of those videos.
The dark side of tik tok is that it’s mainly focused towards teens and preteens and there’s a huge amount of groomers on there. That’s how I originally got into it I was reading about an increase in groomer behavior on the app so I decided to check it out. Some of the guys being accused are completely straight forward with their being into young teens but they wait until age of consent laws allow them to have S*x. They find a 13/14 year old and talk to them until they are 16 when they can legally have S*x. It’s pretty gross. Some of them seem proud that they cheat the system because according to them they can sext as long as there’s no naked pics or meet ups 😖

The mental illness side is something I’ve just discovered recently.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:58 pm
mcginnisc wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:59 am I am not well versed in any medical conditions like those. There are people that have legitimate mental health issues and if these teens are poking fun, mocking, etc.. it is wrong IMO.
None of us have tik tok so I have never seen any of those videos.
The dark side of tik tok is that it’s mainly focused towards teens and preteens and there’s a huge amount of groomers on there. That’s how I originally got into it I was reading about an increase in groomer behavior on the app so I decided to check it out. Some of the guys being accused are completely straight forward with their being into young teens but they wait until age of consent laws allow them to have S*x. They find a 13/14 year old and talk to them until they are 16 when they can legally have S*x. It’s pretty gross. Some of them seem proud that they cheat the system because according to them they can sext as long as there’s no naked pics or meet ups 😖

The mental illness side is something I’ve just discovered recently.
I knew it was a craptacular app which is why the girls are not allowed to have it. I told them when they got their ipods years ago they were not allowed any social media at all until they met TOS and if they got it, they could only have certain apps with a lot of restrictions. My youngest still only has an ipod and does not have any social media as she is only 11. My oldest is 14 and has no desire for any social media even though all of her friends have it. She sees no value in it at all. I'm glad that she has no desire to use social media as it can be so crappy- even for adults.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Locked Previous topicNext topic