Unread post

Anonymous 1

Unread post

ok
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Previous generations were made tougher. The things they had to endure, I don’t think the generations of today could handle it. Let’s be real: we’re pretty delicate right now.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I've read this. Thanks for posting, though. I enjoyed reading it again. I can't even imagine having lived through all of that. But our grandparents did. And they were some of the toughest/sweetest/and giving people that I have ever come to know.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I have a friend- much older gentleman- who told me he remembers visiting a classmate in an iron lung. She died and another became a paraplegic. He said they nearly closed the schools over this polio outbreak. My dad said his mother used to make him stay away from movie theaters and pools in the summer because "a chill can make you sick and you could catch polio." I think if I'd told him I wasn't vaccinating his head would have started spinning. He also remembers rationing for WWII. I think the country pulled together much more back then.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

That was my grandmother. She was born in 1901. During the depression she had 5 kids. My mom was the baby. Her dad died when she was a toddler. My grandmother died when I was 11 or 12 from congestive heart failure around 1972 or 1973. I was too young to even have conversations with her about what it was like to live during the depression. I wish I had, though. It would have been fascinating to get a first hand account from her. I do know that she worked for the government during WW2 sewing fabric together that would eventually be the wings on planes. Which planes I don't know. My mom told me that my grandmother would bring home scrap fabric and make play clothes for her and that the fabric was very tough, almost indestructible. I also know that my grandmother did not finish school. I'm not sure what grade she dropped out of, but I'm pretty sure she never made it to high school. I think that was pretty common back then. I think she grew up in North Carolina since we have or had family on my mother's side there. She ended up in Norfolk, VA because my grandfather was in the Navy and there is a huge naval base there.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

lunarprancer wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:20 pm
When I was 4 years old, our family changed the house from gas lamps to tungsten filament electric lightbulb, so I got bedtime stories.
When I was 8 years old, they puchased a Ford Model-T and we got to visit grandma regularly.
When I was 16 years old, Einstein published his general theory of relativity - I was proud to be alive at the time.
When I was 27, Charles Lindbergh blew my mind by crossing the Atlantic by plane - da Vinci's dream realised.
When I was 28, Fleming discovered Penicillin - everyone started living longer and happier lives.
When I was 48, we formed the United Nations and issued the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
When I was 61, Gagarin became the first man in space!

I've seen the birth of computers and the internet, the massive rings of CERN and the first heart transplant.

The 20th century had it's tragedies, but look at all that was accomplished? What has the 21st century achieved in its first 20 years?
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:08 am
When I was 4 years old, our family changed the house from gas lamps to tungsten filament electric lightbulb, so I got bedtime stories.
When I was 8 years old, they puchased a Ford Model-T and we got to visit grandma regularly.
When I was 16 years old, Einstein published his general theory of relativity - I was proud to be alive at the time.
When I was 27, Charles Lindbergh blew my mind by crossing the Atlantic by plane - da Vinci's dream realised.
When I was 28, Fleming discovered Penicillin - everyone started living longer and happier lives.
When I was 48, we formed the United Nations and issued the Universal Declaration of Human Rights

I've seen the birth of computers and the internet, the massive rings of CERN and the first heart transplant.

The 20th century had it's tragedies, but look at all that was accomplished? What has the 21st century achieved in its first 20 years?
Smartphone comes to mind. I hear there's more computer in a smartphone than was aboard the Apollo 11. Text messaging. GPS. The hybrid car. The human genome project which led to a greater understanding of diseases. Social media. Google launched all during my son's lifetime. So there you go.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:21 am
Aletheia wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:08 am

Smartphone comes to mind. I hear there's more computer in a smartphone than was aboard the Apollo 11. Text messaging. GPS. The hybrid car. The human genome project which led to a greater understanding of diseases. Social media. Google launched all during my son's lifetime. So there you go.
Exactly, lol. I was actually going to say, umm, quite a lot!
californiagirl83
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My great-grandmother was born in 1904. And she had some STORIES. It sounded like she was raised on another planet, I just couldn't relate to anything she told me. She really came from a resilient generation.
Locked Previous topicNext topic