I don't wear a face mask

Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MrsDavidB wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:20 am Wow you sure have a lot of drama going on. Multiple asthma attacks, passing out, ambulance rides, confrontations from an angry mob, wheeling around an oxygen tank, being fired from your job. All because of a little cotton mask LOL.
I know. I know two people with asthma that wear theirs. All day. At work. My problem is hard of hearing clients. So for them I ordered a face shield I can use. I'll buy that someone with severe asthma might have problems with a mask especially an N95. But I daresay she'd trigger from something in the environment even if she didn't have it. But whatever I guess.
Anonymous 13

Unread post

Anonymous 12 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:46 am I understand you having difficulty breathing with a mask on.
I understand you not wanting to wear one.

So here's what you do:
1. Only go out in public only when you absolutely need to. It should be a rarity that you do.
2. Get (or make) a lanyard to hang around your neck that reads "MEDICALLY EXCUSED from mask wearing." If someone approaches you, walk away & don't engage.

If the emotional support animal people can walk into any store that they wish and not be kicked out by the owner of the establishment, I'd be willing to bet you'd be left alone while wearing your MEDICAL LANYARD.

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:58 pm I physically can not breathe if I am wearing one. I have tried all different kinds and nothing as worked. I have really bad asthma and other pulmonary issues. I have had multiple asthma attacks just testing out different masks.

I found one that I thought was good. It was a pretty thin cotton material and pretty breathable. I had an asthma attack in the middle of the supermarket and has to be taken by ambulance to the hospital because I couldn't breathe, my fingers, toes, and the tip of my nose turned blue, and then I passed out. I've been having to use oxygen off and on since that happened.

Even with a note from my doctor people have an issue with it. There is an order in my state requiring facemasks but there are exceptions for those with medical conditions.

I have a face shield and I tried wearing that but people still freaked out even more so than when I wore nothing. It doesn't fall under the mask mandate anyway so it wasn't really worth it to keep wearing it.

I wish people would just keep their distance instead of coming up to me to confront me. I keep my distance from everyone but people still come right up to me.

I am part of the vulnerable population. I do everything I can to keep myself safe but I still have to do the basics and get food and gas and stuff like that.

I wish people would be more understanding and I wish they wouldn't assume I'm just someone who doesn't want to wear a mask. If I could I would but it's just not possible with my crappy lungs. Don't judge until you know why someone isn't wearing a mask.
As a business owner I am not required to let someone into our establishment without a mask, even if they have a medical reason for not wearing one. I am required by ADA to make other accommodations, i.e., curbside delivery. If OP can't wear a mask, she should ask for these accommodations.
Anonymous 12

Unread post

I 100% agree with you. After I clicked "submit" for my last response, I thought that my sarcasm was clearly evident. So I had to go back and change that. LOL

I understand that some people really do have a difficult time breathing with masks on. But I also think that if a business requires you to wear one, you must. If you can't, then you will have to find an alternative way to do business with that business. I have asthma, too. And I can't think of one business that I've come across that hasn't offered some sort of accommodations to meet my needs.

I'd be interested in hearing an example of a time where OP was in the position where a business was unwilling to accommodate her. Between online ordering and curbside pickup, my needs have been met by every business that I needed to shop at. Even my medicine can be delivered (FREE OF CHARGE) during this time.

And if I saw a person in a store (without a mask) my brains would direct me to stay away from them.
Anonymous 13 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:53 am
Anonymous 12 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:46 am I understand you having difficulty breathing with a mask on.
I understand you not wanting to wear one.

So here's what you do:
1. Only go out in public only when you absolutely need to. It should be a rarity that you do.
2. Get (or make) a lanyard to hang around your neck that reads "MEDICALLY EXCUSED from mask wearing." If someone approaches you, walk away & don't engage.

If the emotional support animal people can walk into any store that they wish and not be kicked out by the owner of the establishment, I'd be willing to bet you'd be left alone while wearing your MEDICAL LANYARD.

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:58 pm I physically can not breathe if I am wearing one. I have tried all different kinds and nothing as worked. I have really bad asthma and other pulmonary issues. I have had multiple asthma attacks just testing out different masks.

I found one that I thought was good. It was a pretty thin cotton material and pretty breathable. I had an asthma attack in the middle of the supermarket and has to be taken by ambulance to the hospital because I couldn't breathe, my fingers, toes, and the tip of my nose turned blue, and then I passed out. I've been having to use oxygen off and on since that happened.

Even with a note from my doctor people have an issue with it. There is an order in my state requiring facemasks but there are exceptions for those with medical conditions.

I have a face shield and I tried wearing that but people still freaked out even more so than when I wore nothing. It doesn't fall under the mask mandate anyway so it wasn't really worth it to keep wearing it.

I wish people would just keep their distance instead of coming up to me to confront me. I keep my distance from everyone but people still come right up to me.

I am part of the vulnerable population. I do everything I can to keep myself safe but I still have to do the basics and get food and gas and stuff like that.

I wish people would be more understanding and I wish they wouldn't assume I'm just someone who doesn't want to wear a mask. If I could I would but it's just not possible with my crappy lungs. Don't judge until you know why someone isn't wearing a mask.
As a business owner I am not required to let someone into our establishment without a mask, even if they have a medical reason for not wearing one. I am required by ADA to make other accommodations, i.e., curbside delivery. If OP can't wear a mask, she should ask for these accommodations.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

mater-three wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:39 am I am sorry. My son has severe autism. I seriously stress out about the mask issue as he absolutely cannot tolerate them. I’m going to try buying some of those neck warmers things and pray that he may allow it. I don’t have much faith though. I don’t actually know who I’d ask to write him a medical excuse. I guess I could try his psych doc. He rarely goes in public anyway. None of this is actually a major issue since my state hasn’t issued a statewide mask ordinance. I still wish I could get him to wear one.
Try a rave mask. The kind with plastic across the front that lights up. He might find it cool and it holds the cloth away from his face. Look on Amazon. You want the ones with plastic that light up to sound.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:51 am
MrsDavidB wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:20 am Wow you sure have a lot of drama going on. Multiple asthma attacks, passing out, ambulance rides, confrontations from an angry mob, wheeling around an oxygen tank, being fired from your job. All because of a little cotton mask LOL.
I know. I know two people with asthma that wear theirs. All day. At work. My problem is hard of hearing clients. So for them I ordered a face shield I can use. I'll buy that someone with severe asthma might have problems with a mask especially an N95. But I daresay she'd trigger from something in the environment even if she didn't have it. But whatever I guess.
That's very considerate. My son (19) was born with significant hearing loss and wears hearing aids. I don't know how he is even getting by (especially when he returns to college) with everybody's lips covered.
sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

My Dad has stage 4 lung cancer, COPD and emphysema plus has to use oxygen full time. Guess what? He wears a mask just fine...
lauren08
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My DD has severe asthma, so getting the coronavirus would be significantly worse for her than the average person. So, she wears the mask.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I'm sorry you had to deal with that. I can understand a business owner or manager approaching you and politely asking. Everyone else should just mind their own business. I wear my mask when I go out but I'm not the mask police. I'm not going to question anyone about their mask or lack thereof.

Just yesterday our city mayor announced he is making masks mandatory in all public businesses, effective tomorrow. Local FB is blowing up about it with people talking about how masks don't work, or how it's an infringement of freedoms, or how it's all a liberal conspiracy. I feel like in my area you are more likely to get jumped for wearing a mask rather than not wearing one.
Anonymous 14

Unread post

Probably the vast majority of people here do not wear masks. We have a total of 89 active cases in our area with a population of just under 1 million people. People are extremely vigilant of the 2 meter social distancing when they are not wearing a mask. I honestly find that many people wearing face masks seem to forget about the social distancing aspect and that to me is very concerning. It is mandatory to wear one on public transit, and is some business as well. I also think that our city will make it mandatory as well just to add a additional level of protection. However I think this should have been done in April.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MrsDavidB wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:31 am
Pjmm wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:51 am
That's very considerate. My son (19) was born with significant hearing loss and wears hearing aids. I don't know how he is even getting by (especially when he returns to college) with everybody's lips covered.
ClearMask. I think it's theclearmask.com. But it's 67 dollars for a box of 24. I just saw them. There are others out there. But it would be nice if someone made an inexpensive see through mask. Idk if your son has an IEP that carried from high school to college but if he knows ASL maybe he can get a translator for his classes. Or someone to take his notes in lectures. But yeah even for me it's harder when I can't see someone's lips. Best of luck to your son. I also just saw this. People can make their own. https://www.hsdc.org/accessible-deaf-fr ... face-mask/

Edit: on Amazon there are some clear masks that are inexpensive. Perhaps your son can ask his professors to wear them. Just go to Amazon and google clear masks.
Locked Previous topicNext topic