Do you think people can change or is it once a racist always a racist?

Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

That isn’t exactly what I mean.

It’s born into us to protect our family and be wary of outsiders.
That is an instinct. And it is an instinct in basically every mammal.

Humans are able to excel past the animals when it comes to logic, however many humans need to be taught proper logic. Most do not get that privilege.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:19 pm There are many reasons for racism. “That’s just the way the cookie crumbles” isn’t a reason, it’s an excuse. When you say it’s the natural order of things what you’re actually saying is that there’s no fighting it.
However this whole “protecting your own” is part of human nature and it’s neither good or bad, it’s one of the traits we have to ensure our survival because we can’t do it alone. However, that’s far cry from seeing every “outsider” as a threat. That’s really the part that I completely disagree with. In fact, forming symbiotic relationship and alliances has long be way to ensure survival.
I remember in high school we had a really bad history teacher. First day of school, he tells us “every non-Jew is an anti-Semite” (I went to a Jewish school). We were all seriously disturbed at that. The father of one of my best friends is a convert and she saying “so my grandma hates me?” Needless to say we complained and he didn’t get to teach a third lesson, lol.
And it’s the attitude that everyone who isn’t you is against you what encourages violence and division. We have both nature in us, not just one.
Frau Holle wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:00 pm Yes it is, and humans in turn have symbiotic relationships with animals. However that is a learned behavior that first started with caution and lead up to a relationship.

Whether you are talking about human to human or human to dog, you first have to trust, then you can love.

This is not just for racism, it can be for issues between county to county in the same 50 miles. It can be for
Families that are joining through marriage and the fathers in law have to feel each other out first before they are friends.

It is on a macro and micro scale.
Racism and separatism are issues in every country, it’s much better to learn how to overcome them, not just ignore the reasons why they exist.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:51 pm Yikes. I disagree with that 100%. It’s a terrible way to look at diversity, not only in humans, but in nature in general. Nature is a constant example of symbiotic relationships and cooperation between different species.
Man, if I believed every “outsider” is a threat, I’d live in constant terror. I wouldn’t be able to function.

“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
Godstar
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

We will all change. Once the Spirit comes on us..
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 8 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:05 pm
MistressMonster wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:41 am
Anonymous 8 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:30 am
She's one of the biggest racists on the site right along with skylarcat and frau
Supposedly Skylar isn't here. Unless she joined under a new name.
Didn't Skip say that "anon 2" in that post wasn't Skylar? She didn't say that Skylar wasn't here, did she?
If you look at the member list Skylar hasn't posted since that blow up last month.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Anonymous 8

Unread post

MistressMonster wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:42 pm
MistressMonster wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:41 am

Supposedly Skylar isn't here. Unless she joined under a new name.
Didn't Skip say that "anon 2" in that post wasn't Skylar? She didn't say that Skylar wasn't here, did she?
If you look at the member list Skylar hasn't posted since that blow up last month.
Under THAT screen name, I was the one roasting her ass and reporting everything she said
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 8 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:33 pm
MistressMonster wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:42 pm

Under THAT screen name, I was the one roasting her ass and reporting everything she said
Very fair. She could be back here lurking. But doubt she'd want to come back after all the awesome roasting she received
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Yes I believe people can change, we can grow and learn from our mistakes. Hopefully he has.
Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, 'cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

100% yes. Absolutely. People mature. They learn about life and other people. They have experiences. If they were raised racist they'll get out in the world, see that it's wrong, and grow away from that type of mentality. I don't think any of us have the complete same mindset we had at 16. Good gravy at least I hope not!
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:33 pm That isn’t exactly what I mean.

Humans are able to excel past the animals when it comes to logic, however many humans need to be taught proper logic. Most do not get that privilege.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:19 pm There are many reasons for racism. “That’s just the way the cookie crumbles” isn’t a reason, it’s an excuse. When you say it’s the natural order of things what you’re actually saying is that there’s no fighting it.
However this whole “protecting your own” is part of human nature and it’s neither good or bad, it’s one of the traits we have to ensure our survival because we can’t do it alone. However, that’s far cry from seeing every “outsider” as a threat. That’s really the part that I completely disagree with. In fact, forming symbiotic relationship and alliances has long be way to ensure survival.
I remember in high school we had a really bad history teacher. First day of school, he tells us “every non-Jew is an anti-Semite” (I went to a Jewish school). We were all seriously disturbed at that. The father of one of my best friends is a convert and she saying “so my grandma hates me?” Needless to say we complained and he didn’t get to teach a third lesson, lol.
And it’s the attitude that everyone who isn’t you is against you what encourages violence and division. We have both nature in us, not just one.
Frau Holle wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:00 pm Yes it is, and humans in turn have symbiotic relationships with animals. However that is a learned behavior that first started with caution and lead up to a relationship.

Whether you are talking about human to human or human to dog, you first have to trust, then you can love.

This is not just for racism, it can be for issues between county to county in the same 50 miles. It can be for
Families that are joining through marriage and the fathers in law have to feel each other out first before they are friends.

It is on a macro and micro scale.
Racism and separatism are issues in every country, it’s much better to learn how to overcome them, not just ignore the reasons why they exist.
I think I see what you're getting at. Deeply rooted in our hypothalamus stuff - from the kill or be killed caveman days when the tribe over would come pillage your land and supplies. Is that where you're going?
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:52 pm
Frau Holle wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:33 pm That isn’t exactly what I mean.

I think I see what you're getting at. Deeply rooted in our hypothalamus stuff - from the kill or be killed caveman days when the tribe over would come pillage your land and supplies. Is that where you're going?
Yes, I mean it began hundreds of thousands of years ago. Before any sort of real communication could happen even if you lived 25 kilometers away.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
Anonymous 10

Unread post

My mother was the biggest homophobic racist I knew. She changed as her own kids started to “come out” or date interacially. She died a peaceful woman.
Locked Previous topicNext topic