Do you think people can change or is it once a racist always a racist?

stilltfez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

People can change. My parents were raised in a different time and the thinking then was very racist. I am proud that both of my parents changed their thinking, the way they treated others and welcomed anyone and everyone into our home. They changed because they saw what was wrong with the way they once viewed life and people.
Total absence of humor renders life impossible
Anonymous 6

Unread post

So, what, those of mixed race just fear everyone? 😂
Utter nonsense.
Frau Holle wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:52 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:03 pm
Frau Holle wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:01 pm

Yes and yes.

I think everyone is, although most people don’t wish harm or pain on anyone else so they don’t see themselves as racist.
It's a learned behavior, no one is born a racist.
I disagree.

Every human being, and every animal that lives in groups for that matter is born with the instinct that you protect family as a first priority and all outsiders could be a threat.

It has been bred into us since before we became modern humans.
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 7 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:57 pm

I disagree.

Every human being, and every animal that lives in groups for that matter is born with the instinct that you protect family as a first priority and all outsiders could be a threat.

How is that racism?
It is what leads to racism. Most people are not just racist, but religion-ist (if that is a word) and avoidant of other cultures, they don’t really like the way people of their own culture who dress vastly different from them dress , they don’t like different music and so on and so on.

Almost like when you drop a rock in a pond and all the ripples are levels of what separates us. They begin extremely small and make small impacts until they eventually get huge.

I know most people will say “ Oh no, not me. I love everything about everyone else. But in reality you know it is at least true for many if not most people. It is usually only talk and jokes, but that makes people not realize the separation that is occurring.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No, racism is only one single way people use to separate themselves from others.

Everyone will have different reasons for why they feel separated in some way.
Anonymous 6 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:02 pm So, what, those of mixed race just fear everyone? 😂
Utter nonsense.

I disagree.

“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I haven’t read about what this particular story, so I’m speaking in general.

Yes, if people like Robert Byrd can change, anyone can IMHO. This new cancel culture just makes it difficult to see that.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:09 pm

I disagree.

How is that racism?
It is what leads to racism. Most people are not just racist, but religion-ist (if that is a word) and avoidant of other cultures, they don’t really like the way people of their own culture who dress vastly different from them dress , they don’t like different music and so on and so on.

Almost like when you drop a rock in a pond and all the ripples are levels of what separates us. They begin extremely small and make small impacts until they eventually get huge.

I know most people will say “ Oh no, not me. I love everything about everyone else. But in reality you know it is at least true for many if not most people. It is usually only talk and jokes, but that makes people not realize the separation that is occurring.
Is that what lead Germany to Nazism?
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

People mature and get wise. They do change.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:41 pm Mark wahlberg made a blm post and now some are calling out his hypocrisy. When he was younger he was charged and even served jail time for multiple hate crimes. Some have mentioned that it was a long time ago and his views have probably changed but others have said once a racist always a racist. Do you think people can change?
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 7 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:13 pm
Frau Holle wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:09 pm

How is that racism?

Is that what lead Germany to Nazism?
Yes.

I think a big difference between Germans and Americans is that Americans have been allowed to tip toe around racism while Germans have needed to stare it straight in the face and learn what must be done about it.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Yes, I believe people can change if they really want to.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Yikes. I disagree with that 100%. It’s a terrible way to look at diversity, not only in humans, but in nature in general. Nature is a constant example of symbiotic relationships and cooperation between different species.
Man, if I believed every “outsider” is a threat, I’d live in constant terror. I wouldn’t be able to function.
Frau Holle wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:01 pm

Yes and yes.

I think everyone is, although most people don’t wish harm or pain on anyone else so they don’t see themselves as racist.
I disagree.

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Locked Previous topicNext topic