What about Tony Timpa?

Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Tony Timpa was a man who was restrained by police as Dallas police officers pinned his shoulders, knees and neck to the ground. Tony pleaded for help more than 30 times, saying "You're going to kill me" over and over. The officers did nothing. As Tony gasped his last breath, the officers thought he was snoring and joked about him laying on the ground. They didn't check for breathing or pulse for at least 4 minutes. Tony died at the hands of the officers.

How come I never heard about this until now? How come Tony's death didn't make widespread national news like George's has? How come Tony's death didn't spark protests and riots on such a national level like George's did? Could it be because Tony was white?

You wonder why there are people angry at the protesters and rioters. You wonder why, when they feel unheard, we just refuse to listen even more. You wonder why we are outraged at your outrage.

This is why. You don't give this level of outrage when it's a white guy killed by police. You don't give this level of outrage when it's a black police officer killed by a black suspect. The ONLY time ANY life seems to matter to you people is when it's a BLACK suspect killed by a WHITE officer. Please explain to me how that's not incredibly, undeniable, overwhelmingly racist. Your outrage is racist and that's why we don't want to hear it.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

There was a man here who was killed by police about two months ago. He had no weapon of any kind. Had no prior criminal record. The charge was that he had made a false 911 call. They shot him in his own home.

There was a brief blip on the news about how "the police had murdered him." That was it. And since there was no more public outcry, it was easy for the department to sweep under the rug and move on. He was white. He got no justice.

Maybe because of this type of stuff, I'm a little bitter about all of the outcry now. Police brutality affects us all.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I suppose it's because we don't have a history of folks showing their prejudices at our backs. Perhaps the people of Dallas assumed he deserved what he got. I didn't hear about him but I live under a rock. Idk what happened or why charges against these officers were dropped. But it only enforces my belief that whatever the race many officers have a problem. And no one is paying attention. So if it takes Floyd to draw attention to police brutality so be it.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

There have been many police shootings black and white that get swept under the rug and all is said is they shouldn't have done the crime or it a horrible accident etc. Some do not want to believe that some cops are bad apples. Regardless I hope this brings a change.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:44 pm There was a man here who was killed by police about two months ago. He had no weapon of any kind. Had no prior criminal record. The charge was that he had made a false 911 call. They shot him in his own home.

There was a brief blip on the news about how "the police had murdered him." That was it. And since there was no more public outcry, it was easy for the department to sweep under the rug and move on. He was white. He got no justice.

Maybe because of this type of stuff, I'm a little bitter about all of the outcry now. Police brutality affects us all.
Exactly. Police brutality is awful and needs to be stopped, period.

What makes me so jaded is that we only seem to see national level outcry when the brutality is a certain race situation. And that makes it seem like the outcry isn't really about the brutality but rather about the race.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:48 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:44 pm There was a man here who was killed by police about two months ago. He had no weapon of any kind. Had no prior criminal record. The charge was that he had made a false 911 call. They shot him in his own home.

Exactly. Police brutality is awful and needs to be stopped, period.

What makes me so jaded is that we only seem to see national level outcry when the brutality is a certain race situation. And that makes it seem like the outcry isn't really about the brutality but rather about the race.

I don't have any type of criminal history, though I did get a few traffic tickets when I was younger. But I've had many encounters with police officers who I thought were a little too big for their britches, got a little too rough, and that affected me or a family member or friend adversely, even when they hadn't done anything wrong. I think its largely ego driven, from what I've observed. I hate to be critical because so many are good, and have good intentions, and are putting themselves at risk in their jobs. But in my encounters with police, I feel like only about 50 percent of the time did the officer act appropriately. The other half they were on some sort of ego trip.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I would be outraged by any police brutality and any cop killing someone. But I can't be outraged by things I don't hear about.

Perhaps people film black people being brutalized because they know a lot of the time it's unfair and they know that guy doesn't have a chance to prove he is innocent. And they assume if it's a white guy being arrested he deserved it. That's white privilege. You don't think twice a lot of times about white people being arrested because they aren't targeted like black people are.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:18 pm Tony Timpa was a man who was restrained by police as Dallas police officers pinned his shoulders, knees and neck to the ground. Tony pleaded for help more than 30 times, saying "You're going to kill me" over and over. The officers did nothing. As Tony gasped his last breath, the officers thought he was snoring and joked about him laying on the ground. They didn't check for breathing or pulse for at least 4 minutes. Tony died at the hands of the officers.

How come I never heard about this until now? How come Tony's death didn't make widespread national news like George's has? How come Tony's death didn't spark protests and riots on such a national level like George's did? Could it be because Tony was white?

You wonder why there are people angry at the protesters and rioters. You wonder why, when they feel unheard, we just refuse to listen even more. You wonder why we are outraged at your outrage.

This is why. You don't give this level of outrage when it's a white guy killed by police. You don't give this level of outrage when it's a black police officer killed by a black suspect. The ONLY time ANY life seems to matter to you people is when it's a BLACK suspect killed by a WHITE officer. Please explain to me how that's not incredibly, undeniable, overwhelmingly racist. Your outrage is racist and that's why we don't want to hear it.
Thank you a hundred times over for this post. Thank you. Your words were perfect. You are my hero today. I might copy and paste this to my facebook. I'll count the number of times I'm called a racist.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:58 pm I would be outraged by any police brutality and any cop killing someone. But I can't be outraged by things I don't hear about.

Perhaps people film black people being brutalized because they know a lot of the time it's unfair and they know that guy doesn't have a chance to prove he is innocent. And they assume if it's a white guy being arrested he deserved it. That's white privilege. You don't think twice a lot of times about white people being arrested because they aren't targeted like black people are.
BS
Locked Previous topicNext topic