Keeping cool

MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:38 pm I live in the desert in Arizona. It's on 24/7 in the summer. We keep it set at 80F typically. May bump it down to 79 or 78 if it's particularly uncomfortable. But 80 usually works well because it's so dry here. We also have an in-ground pool which works great for cooling off when you feel a bit warm.

Our electric bill in the summer months is around $300/mo. In contrast, our electric bill in the winter months is around $120/mo. We don't run our heat at all. We've lived here almost 5 years and never once used the heat.
Yep when we lived in Yuma our AC was set to 80 in summer. It’s amazing what no humidity and 118 outside will do to make 80 feel comfortable.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MrsDavidB wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:20 pm
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:38 pm I live in the desert in Arizona. It's on 24/7 in the summer. We keep it set at 80F typically. May bump it down to 79 or 78 if it's particularly uncomfortable. But 80 usually works well because it's so dry here. We also have an in-ground pool which works great for cooling off when you feel a bit warm.

Our electric bill in the summer months is around $300/mo. In contrast, our electric bill in the winter months is around $120/mo. We don't run our heat at all. We've lived here almost 5 years and never once used the heat.
Yep when we lived in Yuma our AC was set to 80 in summer. It’s amazing what no humidity and 118 outside will do to make 80 feel comfortable.
Yup. It's amazing the difference humidity or lack thereof makes. Plus, when it's 118 outside and you walk into a place that's 68 it feels positively cold because it's such a big change in temp. I'm one of those that always brings a cardigan to restaurants in the summertime. lol

Side note: Yuma is the only place that our oldest son has been that we have not been. He's on the HS swim team and they traveled down to Yuma a few times last year. DH and I wanted to go but never made it (about a 4 hour drive). Hopefully this year we will make it down there.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:41 pm
MrsDavidB wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:20 pm

Yup. It's amazing the difference humidity or lack thereof makes. Plus, when it's 118 outside and you walk into a place that's 68 it feels positively cold because it's such a big change in temp. I'm one of those that always brings a cardigan to restaurants in the summertime. lol

Side note: Yuma is the only place that our oldest son has been that we have not been. He's on the HS swim team and they traveled down to Yuma a few times last year. DH and I wanted to go but never made it (about a 4 hour drive). Hopefully this year we will make it down there.
We lived there for 3 years and just loved it. The sunshine, our luxurious pool surrounded by palms, everything close by, The wonderful Mexican people, loved the schools. I certainly cried the day we had to leave.
mojogirl
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:36 am In an average typical summer how often do you have your air conditioner running? How much does it increase your electric bill? (I understand there are many variables I'm just hoping to get an approximate amount from a huge variety of people places and comfort levels)
thanks
My ac is usually on Mar-Oct. My part of Texas has two seasons: Summer and Not Summer. Of course my electric bill goes up. And up and up.
Kiko2mommy
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

We have a swamp cooler. It runs 24/7 on low in the summer. Our electric bill is about $150 a month from Mid-May through Mid-Sept. We live in NE AZ.
Locked Previous topicNext topic