Which would you have gone for?

Anonymous 5

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:49 am My dd had this happen.
She was recruited by a private College to play Lacrosse for them . Their tuition was $140,000/ yr & they were willing to give her a $20,000 scholarship.
She & I went back & forth about it, my argument was she would walk out of College with a degree & in so much debt.

She ended up going to & playing Lacrosse for a more local college .With her scholarships & financial aid , shes basically going to college for free. She has about $600-$800/semester she pays for fees not covered by her scholarship. And instead of her taking out school loans, I pay the fees & she pays me back weekly.
Yeah.....

the school year 2018-2019, Harvey Mudd College was the most expensive college in the United States, with an total annual cost of 75,003 U.S. dollars for out-of-state students.Apr 24, 2020
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I would go to the school that had the major she wanted. The other school doesn't offer that, she will eventually have to transfer anyways. Is there another school that is affordable, but also offers her the major she wants? That might be a better college?

Anonymous 6

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:10 am
Anonymous 4 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:57 am
She was recruited by a private College to play Lacrosse for them . Their tuition was $140,000/ yr & they were willing to give her a $20,000 scholarship.
She & I went back & forth about it, my argument was she would walk out of College with a degree & in so much debt.

She ended up going to & playing Lacrosse for a more local college .With her scholarships & financial aid , shes basically going to college for free. She has about $600-$800/semester she pays for fees not covered by her scholarship. And instead of her taking out school loans, I pay the fees & she pays me back weekly.
I would love to know what college costs $140,000 a year. In the US the most expensive colleges average around $60,000 for tuition and fees and room and board average $15,000. Columbia University tops the list at $61,000 for anyone interested.
It's a private religious College. Thanks for asking.
That's some mighty expensive religion :P
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Her major is important. Especially if she needs to fall back on it.
Melly Jelly 1
Villein
Villein

Unread post

Well that ones easy... I’d always go with the one that offered her major.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

The cheap one that has the major she wants. IME, what college you went to doesn't mean squat, especially when you are beyond your first job out of college.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

I would have her see what other majors apply. For example, my DD wanted to go into Journalism and was accepted at two schools with strong journalism degree programs - both way outside our comfort zone as far as tuition. She ended up a college with a strong poly-sci program (well within our budget) that she can use for entry into journalism - if that makes sense. Looking at what connections professors have in the industry is also important. Sometimes the smaller, less expensive programs have connections that just aren't there with the larger programs.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 7 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:09 pm I would have her see what other majors apply. For example, my DD wanted to go into Journalism and was accepted at two schools with strong journalism degree programs - both way outside our comfort zone as far as tuition. She ended up a college with a strong poly-sci program (well within our budget) that she can use for entry into journalism - if that makes sense. Looking at what connections professors have in the industry is also important. Sometimes the smaller, less expensive programs have connections that just aren't there with the larger programs.
That’s true. I’m not really sure what other majors relate to her intended career other than the obvious (criminology and forensics).
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

The day I spend $140,000 to send my kids to college...
Anonymous 1

Unread post

The most I have heard of is $60K.
Locked Previous topicNext topic