What is the hardest thing your relationship has been through?

Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Thankfully our marriage has never been through any fidelity issues or a major health crisis. Our children's behaviour (or at least how do deal with them) was a topic of some interesting conversations, but we pulled together united. I would say the seven military tours my husband has been on was the most trying for our marriage followed by some, what I think, are PTSD issues, but he won't admit it.
Anonymous 9

Unread post

In 2008 we lost our first child. A month later my husband nearly died from a burst ulcer. He spent 4 days in ICU and received 2 blood transfusions. 12 years later if he has a stomach bug and starts vomiting I am taken back to that moment in time as clearly as if it were yesterday.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Linda_Runs wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:51 am
mcginnisc wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:54 pm It did not test our marriage, but the worst thing was the stillbirth of our dd Kahlan 17 years ago in May 2003.
I am truly sorry for your loss and I can not even imagine the devastation at the time.
Thanks Linda...It was really tough as I had battled infertility for 7 years and finally got pregnant on Clomid. I was 36 weeks when we lost her. I went into a really huge spiral when we lost her due to the recovery from sepsis, an emergency c-section because my body was shutting down from the sepsis, and just the loss itself. It took me about 18 months before I was willing to broach the subject of kids again. It was almost 4 years exactly from the day we lost Kahlan( 5/20/03) to the day Lilly came home from China (4/14/07).. then, a year later Karli was born. ( Hello surprise pregnancy!)
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

A lot of what you've listed. Not everything, mind you, but enough. I don't think any marriage is smooth sailing from beginning to end. We just celebrated our 30th anniversary.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:54 pm It did not test our marriage, but the worst thing was the stillbirth of our dd Kahlan 17 years ago in May 2003.
I’m deeply sorry for your loss.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 9 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:53 am In 2008 we lost our first child. A month later my husband nearly died from a burst ulcer. He spent 4 days in ICU and received 2 blood transfusions. 12 years later if he has a stomach bug and starts vomiting I am taken back to that moment in time as clearly as if it were yesterday.
I’m so sorry for the loss of your first child. I am glad your husband recovered.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

CherryTreez wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:29 am My daughter being stillborn after trying to have her for five years. Followed up with his dad dying of cancer while I was pregnant with our son. It was a very high risk pregnancy. I was given a 30 percent chance of him being stillborn. I needed all of him and I didn't get half of him because he needed to be with his family. I wasn't allowed near my fil. People who were around him had to change and shower before coming near me. It made things hard. I wanted to just go home to my parents and let them take care of me and let dh focus on his dad and family. He wanted me close by in case anything happened to the baby. It was hell and hard on our relationship because we had such different focuses.
I’m so sorry for your loss. That sounds incredibly difficult.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

KendallsMom wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:03 am It had no ill effects on our marriage, but the death of our first born made us realize how much we needed each other.

Anything else that might ruin a couple has been nothing but an annoyance to us. We know we can get through anything together.
My sincerest condolences for your loss.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:49 pm When old ones died and new were born. Life was changed, disassembled, rearranged.

I know that's a song lyric but it's true.

The single hardest thing I've ever had to do is deal with the death of my Dad. I feel a little better these days but DH was a saint those first few months.
Hugs to you. The death of a parent is very difficult.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Mental health
Locked Previous topicNext topic