Would you say something?

Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My family went to a festival with my sister, her family, and my grandmother. There was a blood drive at the festival, so we decided to do it. About 15 minutes after we left the drive, my husband and BIL had taken the kids to use the bathroom, we were over on the other side of the festival, and my sister starts feeling really dizzy. This happened to me one time before when I donated, so I had her lay down on a bench and put her feet up and told my grandmother to sit with her while I go get her some juice.

I'm waiting in line about 20 feet away and I hear my grandmother yelling, so I look over and this man in a big king costume, like a mascot costume, was sitting on my sister, like on her lap and stomach. I ran over and told him to get off of her. I said "did you not see her or something?" and he tried to laugh it off and said "I was just joking around, she shouldn't lay there if she doesn't want to get sat on. Too much to drink?" I told him no, she just donated blood and was about to faint. He awkwardly said "uh, sorry", like in a snarky way, and walked away.

I gave her some juice and walked her back over to the blood drive to lay down and after a few minutes she felt better, but was still really upset. She said she was really close to passing out, like everything was fuzzy, and all of a sudden there was this weight on her lap holding her down. She wanted to yell and push him off, but she was so out of it at that point that she couldn't do anything. My sister has PTSD after an assault and having someone hold her down and having contact with her pelvic region is very traumatic for her. My grandmother doesn't speak a lot of english, so she was also upset that she couldn't find the words to tell him to get off.

Our husbands and the kids came and found us and after a little bit my sister was feeling much better and we had a good time. At the end they have a parade and everyone walks with their group. The guy in the costume turned out to be a part of the group that runs the festival. My sister wants to contact them to share what happened and ask that they speak to their group about appropriate behavior in the future. Like, you don't just sit on a stranger to try to be funny. You don't know why they are laying like that or if they are okay with being touched.
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Oh the drama..
Anonymous 1

Unread post

You should have found someone right away 🙄 but yes you should say something
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Honestly, I could see a person in clown costume doing this. I don't think it's a big deal. And I wouldn't complain about it.

Grandma can't say, "Get off" or "Stop" in english?
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

IMO, a festival is not a good place to donate blood. Generally, when I've donated, I've been asked to wait 15 to 20 minutes before leaving the facility.

I'm so sorry this happened to your SIL and I would definitely report it to the festival organizer. Perhaps they will rethink having blood donation. But performers at a festival shouldn't be held responsible.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:32 pm Honestly, I could see a person in clown costume doing this. I don't think it's a big deal. And I wouldn't complain about it.

Grandma can't say, "Get off" or "Stop" in english?
Don't sit on people, especially when they are laying with their eyes closed. When she's under pressure, she forgets the words. She's in her 70s and this is her fourth language, I don't blame her.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:32 pm IMO, a festival is not a good place to donate blood. Generally, when I've donated, I've been asked to wait 15 to 20 minutes before leaving the facility.

I'm so sorry this happened to your SIL and I would definitely report it to the festival organizer. Perhaps they will rethink having blood donation. But performers at a festival shouldn't be held responsible.
We did wait there 15 minutes after donating. Sometimes these things come on later. The performer should be held responsible, they shouldn't touch people and sit on people without knowing if they are okay with it. If my sister was drunk or dehydrated, it still wouldn't make it okay to sit on her.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

He shouldn't have sat on her even if he thought it was a joke. But you all shouldn't donate blood at the beginning of what is going to be a day of activities. Common sense would say that at least 1 person, most likely more will have a problem with donating & then continuing on in an active, walking around, eventful day. I would call & talk to someone in charge, but I would also take some responsibility for poor planning on your parts. Everyone involved could have made better choices.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:38 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:32 pm IMO, a festival is not a good place to donate blood. Generally, when I've donated, I've been asked to wait 15 to 20 minutes before leaving the facility.

We did wait there 15 minutes after donating. Sometimes these things come on later. The performer should be held responsible, they shouldn't touch people and sit on people without knowing if they are okay with it. If my sister was drunk or dehydrated, it still wouldn't make it okay to sit on her.
Was this your first festival?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
californiagirl83
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Go to a blood drive next time to avoid the stupid people. And YES you should have said something right then, both to him and to his boss. His behavior was unacceptable.
Locked Previous topicNext topic