I am a little skeptical about it

CandTmom
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I wouldn't give her cash. You need to give her a check so you have documentation.

I would talk to your bank or credit union about housing opportunities before you did something that you really don't want to do.

It doesn't hurt to try. Good luck
Anonymous 3

Unread post

The owner should be able to turn the utilities on so you can verify that everything works. If they won’t, that’s a huge red flag to me.

Don’t pay anything until you have a signed contract. I’d meet at the lawyer’s office and go over everything together. Make sure you get copies of everything and get a receipt for any money you paid. I wouldn’t pay with cash because there’s no paper trail.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Go to a real estate office and sign up with a buyer's agent and have the realtor go with you to look at the property and talk to the woman. You can get the power turned on to do an inspection as Valentina said. Also like Valentina said you can buy a house with $10k down. Look at other properties.

And to get around the landlord giving you bad references, get copies of your canceled rent checks for the period you've been there to show that you've paid on time and they've cleared on time. Take pictures of the property to show it's well kept and maintained and show this documentation to the rental managers and tell them up front that your landlord has been sabotaging your moving and he will probably give you a bad reference like he has to all the other properties you've tried to rent and you're providing proof that you are a good tenant and a good credit risk. And tell the landlord you will sue his ass for defamation if he doesn't stop blackballing you.

https://www.rockethomes.com/blog/homeow ... yers-agent
mojogirl
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No way in hell would I get myself into that.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:46 pm Oh, and with older mobile homes, you really need to step all over the floor, especially near sinks or showers. They have a tendency to get water damage and sag or rot due to the materials.
From the looks of it the floor has recently been replaced. We will have to lay tile down in the living room, kitchen and hallway
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Anything that you want repaired (ie: the water heater), make sure you have it written into the contract.

ETA: I'm with the other members who suggested that you get an agent and look at other homes. And I wouldn't do anything without an attorney reviewing all documents. Do not hand cash to this woman.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Honestly there are a lot of red flags going up here, a lot of red flags. I think if you go through with these plan you are just going to be out all the money you hand over.

You would far better using the 10K to get an FHA loan and move in a house.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:25 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:46 pm Oh, and with older mobile homes, you really need to step all over the floor, especially near sinks or showers. They have a tendency to get water damage and sag or rot due to the materials.
From the looks of it the floor has recently been replaced. We will have to lay tile down in the living room, kitchen and hallway
I'd still check, lol. Also, you might want to think about installing tile in a mobile home. The MH frame flexes and eventually the grout will break and the tile will come lose. Think about vinyl laminate. It's water resistant, durable and flexible.

Check under the cabinets and around the hot water heater, washer areas too.

Oh, and, lol, check the windows for leakage and the sills for water damage too. And verify the lot rent amount. That sounds awfully low. Will it increase once the MH is paid for?
Anonymous 6

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:23 pm We've been trying to move for months. My landlord keeps screwing us up. We can't move. Every place we try to get our landlord keeps screwing us. He keeps giving us bad references. He is doing this to keep us from moving.

We saw an ad for a double wide mobile home. FS, as is. It is a 1997. We've done a walk through twice. It needs a little work but nothing major. $1700 down and $344 a month for 48 months. $75 is lot rent. It wasn't the route we wanted to go but at this point it all we can do. At this point if we dont do this we're going to be stuck in this shit hole for years to come.. we have about $10k saved up. So we really dont have enough saved up to buy anything else. $10k isn't a lot of money.

We called her I am supposed to meet her tomorrow at 5pm. I am supposed to give her the money and she is supposed to take the cash to her attorney to sign the contract. I want to get the utilities turned on Tuesday. If I dont do it Tuesday I want be able to do it until March the 4th. I want to do it Tuesday so we can get in it next weekend and start making repairs before we move in it. She also doesn't know anything about the mobile home. She doesn't know if the central heat and air unit works, if the water heater works. Also she says we can't turn the utilities on until the contract is signed by her attorney.

My dh wants to do it. I sorta do but I am also little skeptical. I am worried we are getting ourselves in a money pit. It is always a risk to do a rent to own type of deal. What will be Paying a month is less than half of what we pay now. The repairs we will have to make will take a days worth if work. There are other repairs that will need to be done but they can be done once we move it.

Any advice at this point. I have never done Anything like this so I don't know what all we should do.
This is a HARD PASS
Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

The utilities being off now worry me. Why aren’t they on and in the owners name?

Is there a reason the landlord is giving you a bad reference? He is in business to make money so I can’t see him risking you not paying the rent by doing this and then enduring an eviction proceeding...

So if I were you Inwould attempt rent with a company and not a private person. When we rented we never had one call for a reference ever!

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:23 pm We've been trying to move for months. My landlord keeps screwing us up. We can't move. Every place we try to get our landlord keeps screwing us. He keeps giving us bad references. He is doing this to keep us from moving.

We saw an ad for a double wide mobile home. FS, as is. It is a 1997. We've done a walk through twice. It needs a little work but nothing major. $1700 down and $344 a month for 48 months. $75 is lot rent. It wasn't the route we wanted to go but at this point it all we can do. At this point if we dont do this we're going to be stuck in this shit hole for years to come.. we have about $10k saved up. So we really dont have enough saved up to buy anything else. $10k isn't a lot of money.

We called her I am supposed to meet her tomorrow at 5pm. I am supposed to give her the money and she is supposed to take the cash to her attorney to sign the contract. I want to get the utilities turned on Tuesday. If I dont do it Tuesday I want be able to do it until March the 4th. I want to do it Tuesday so we can get in it next weekend and start making repairs before we move in it. She also doesn't know anything about the mobile home. She doesn't know if the central heat and air unit works, if the water heater works. Also she says we can't turn the utilities on until the contract is signed by her attorney.

My dh wants to do it. I sorta do but I am also little skeptical. I am worried we are getting ourselves in a money pit. It is always a risk to do a rent to own type of deal. What will be Paying a month is less than half of what we pay now. The repairs we will have to make will take a days worth if work. There are other repairs that will need to be done but they can be done once we move it.

Any advice at this point. I have never done Anything like this so I don't know what all we should do.
Locked Previous topicNext topic