Is it wrong to ask a virtual stranger what they make?

MonkeySeeMonkeyDo
Patreon
Patreon
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Yesterday I went to the dentist to get a cleaning. We were making small talk when I mentioned I was a nanny. She then asked how much I made because her sister needs a nanny.

Mind you I’m not looking for a job and I wasn’t complaining about mine.

I was taken aback by the comment.

I didn’t answer her and it seemed as if she realized it wasn’t such a hot idea to ask such a question and she started asking me other questions about being a nanny and I happily answered those questions and directed her to the agency that I went through.

To me her asking me what I made was akin to me walking up to a lawyer standing in line at the grocery store and asking how much they make, or asking the dental hygienist how much she makes while she’s cleaning my teeth.

I asked on a nanny group how they would have handled the situation and I was told by 99% that I was wrong to think she was out of line to ask and that I should have told her since it’s a good idea to ‘educate others on nannies’

One even told me that she tells her friends and family what she makes so it’s no big deal if a virtual stranger asks...when I tried explaining friends and family are different than a stranger she didn’t seem to comprehend what I was saying.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not pissed or think much more than wow! That was rude.

But I wonder what you guys think. Is it rude to ask a virtual stranger flat out how much they make? Would you freely tell people you meet out and about how much you make?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

She asked you because her sister is looking to hire a nanny. That’s quite a bit different than asking you during an unrelated conversation.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

In this instance what she really wanted to know was average cost of a nanny because her sister wanted one. She just didn't word it well. So I'd give her a ballpark going rate. You could do that without discussing your actual salary.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

She is your dental hygienist and you were already talking about it, she wasn't some stranger on the street. She asked to get an idea of what her sister will have to look at paying. It's fully your right to not give that information if you aren't comfortable, but it's not something I'd get offended over.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Not the best manners, but It was probably was innocent enough. People have asked me what I make — and I give them a range, the median, and sometimes if I know what a New grad recently started at, I throw that out there.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Not something I would ask or a question I would answer. Every job is going to be different anyway, with hours, responsibilities, chores, etc. When I used to get questions like that about my profession I would just say things like "the salary range for _________ job is similar to a teacher or nurse. Experience and certifications vary greatly."
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Because she was looking to hire, it doesn’t seem out of place for the conversation, but I’m one of those people who find it weird that people get all bent out of shape by that question. Granted if we were just standing in line somewhere and someone tapped me on the shoulder and only asked how much we made I’d think it was weird and ignore them, but in the course of a normal conversation where it fits the topic...whatever.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I'm not sure why this is an issue.
That'swhatshesaid
Regent
Regent

Unread post

In this case, she was asking for information, not just being nosey. I don't see the problem.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

YOu could have said something like "the average salary for nannies in this area is between xxx dollars and xxx dollars" and you wouldn't have divulged what you personally made.
Locked Previous topicNext topic