Is it wrong to ask a virtual stranger what they make?

AngelicUnicorn
Countess
Countess

Unread post

It is rude to ask someone how much money they earn. More so, if the person asking is a total stranger. The reason for asking is not important. Apparently, that is something that isn’t taught any more. I wouldn’t have answered that question either. I would have referred the stranger to the agency I work for for more information.
Progress, not perfection.
Deleted User 638

Unread post

It was a rude question. You weren't asking her about a nanny job. That would have been the only time her question was okay.
Lotus
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:19 am In this instance what she really wanted to know was average cost of a nanny because her sister wanted one. She just didn't word it well. So I'd give her a ballpark going rate. You could do that without discussing your actual salary.
THIS ^^^^^^^
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MonkeySeeMonkeyDo wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:09 am Yesterday I went to the dentist to get a cleaning. We were making small talk when I mentioned I was a nanny. She then asked how much I made because her sister needs a nanny.

Mind you I’m not looking for a job and I wasn’t complaining about mine.

I was taken aback by the comment.

I didn’t answer her and it seemed as if she realized it wasn’t such a hot idea to ask such a question and she started asking me other questions about being a nanny and I happily answered those questions and directed her to the agency that I went through.

To me her asking me what I made was akin to me walking up to a lawyer standing in line at the grocery store and asking how much they make, or asking the dental hygienist how much she makes while she’s cleaning my teeth.

I asked on a nanny group how they would have handled the situation and I was told by 99% that I was wrong to think she was out of line to ask and that I should have told her since it’s a good idea to ‘educate others on nannies’

One even told me that she tells her friends and family what she makes so it’s no big deal if a virtual stranger asks...when I tried explaining friends and family are different than a stranger she didn’t seem to comprehend what I was saying.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not pissed or think much more than wow! That was rude.

But I wonder what you guys think. Is it rude to ask a virtual stranger flat out how much they make? Would you freely tell people you meet out and about how much you make?
I take it that she was asking because she wanted to know what was reasonable for her sister to pay for a nanny. She wasn't just asking to be rude or nosy. And trust me, DH and I are the type to be very private about our finances, but I don't see this situation as rude. She was following the flow of the conversation. You could have just answered with "Well most Nanny's in this area make in the range of $X - $Y." It would've given her the info she was looking for and you could still keep your personal info private.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

In her case I think it was probably worded improperly. Since her sister is looking into hiring a Nanny a better way to have worded it would have been "what's the going rate for a Nanny in our area? My sister is looking into hiring a Nanny".
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo
Patreon
Patreon
Regent
Regent

Unread post

PoplarGrove wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:54 am In her case I think it was probably worded improperly. Since her sister is looking into hiring a Nanny a better way to have worded it would have been "what's the going rate for a Nanny in our area? My sister is looking into hiring a Nanny".
Wording it like you mentioned wouldn’t have bothered me at all and I would have freely given the information. But to flat out ask me what I make was what I felt was wrong.
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo
Patreon
Patreon
Regent
Regent

Unread post

jas wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:41 pm She wasn't rude - she had a reason for the interest and explained what it was. You were rude for blowing her off.
What?!?!?!? I was rude for not wanting to disclose how much I make?!?!? Wow!
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It's never ok to ask someone what they make. That's just rude. She should refer her to her sister and let them work it out.
Anonymous 8

Unread post

Would you ask a lawyer how much they charge if you were looking for a lawyer? She didn’t ask out of the blue. Her sister wants a nanny and she was just asking to see a ballpark number.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

MonkeySeeMonkeyDo wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:10 pm
jas wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:41 pm She wasn't rude - she had a reason for the interest and explained what it was. You were rude for blowing her off.
What?!?!?!? I was rude for not wanting to disclose how much I make?!?!? Wow!
For blowing her off, yes. You could have given her a ballpark figure in the context of the conversation you were having.
Locked Previous topicNext topic