Section 8

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Many states are starting to pass laws that every landlord and apartment complexes have to accept section 8 housing vouchers. What do you think about that? Good idea or Violates a landlord right to refuse?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:12 pm Many states are starting to pass laws that every landlord and apartment complexes have to accept section 8 housing vouchers. What do you think about that? Good idea or Violates a landlord right to refuse?
Landlords cant put No Section 8 in the ads but they can and will deny section 8 tenants if they choose to. They can use the prospective tenants credit score, past evictions, pets and other reasons to deny them. A lot of apartments and houses wont pass the section 8 inspections because they are pretty strigent. Things can be done in the aptartment to insure it wont pass inspections. Its going to be very difficult to prove the landlord is denying the tenant because of their section 8 status. Section 8 has a maximum amount of rent that they will approve on the lease, if the landlord demands a higher amount, section 8 cant legally force the landlord to accept the section 8 lease amount.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I don’t care because I don’t live in an apartment anymore. If I still did I wouldn’t be thrilled because I have been to Section 8 apartments and they are horrifying. I can’t speak for everywhere but here they live up to the stereotypes. I wouldn’t want to live near that.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:31 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:12 pm Many states are starting to pass laws that every landlord and apartment complexes have to accept section 8 housing vouchers. What do you think about that? Good idea or Violates a landlord right to refuse?
Landlords cant put No Section 8 in the ads but they can and will deny section 8 tenants if they choose to. They can use the prospective tenants credit score, past evictions, pets and other reasons to deny them. A lot of apartments and houses wont pass the section 8 inspections because they are pretty strigent. Things can be done in the aptartment to insure it wont pass inspections. Its going to be very difficult to prove the landlord is denying the tenant because of their section 8 status. Section 8 has a maximum amount of rent that they will approve on the lease, if the landlord demands a higher amount, section 8 cant legally force the landlord to accept the section 8 lease amount.

I see ads all the time that say No Section 8.

But you do have a point. Many owners are slumlords who don't care for their property and they will find other ways to deny someone even if it's guaranteed rent.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

I would never rent to someone with section 8.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:04 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:31 pm

I see ads all the time that say No Section 8.

But you do have a point. Many owners are slumlords who don't care for their property and they will find other ways to deny someone even if it's guaranteed rent.
Those landlords are foolish, think they are above the law or dont know about the new laws. I think section 8 tenants must keep scrolling when they come across those particular ads but one day a tenant will report the landlord and then they will be in deep doo doo. Only the section 8 share of the rent is guaranteed, the tenant still has to pay their share to the landlord and they can stop paying at anytime. The landlord then has to get permission from section 8 to file an eviction petition against the tenant. It takes longer to get a section 8 tenant out of an apartment than it does a regular tenant.
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It can work if the owner isn’t a slumlord. That’s where most of the problems with Section 8 housing come from.
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It can work if the owner isn’t a slumlord. That’s where most of the problems with Section 8 housing come from.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I would imagine refusing section 8 might violate housing discrimination laws but Idk. I'm not a landlord or renter so I've no dog in this.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

I rented to section 8 people twice. the first ones lived in my part of the house when we bought it (it’s a duplex). I could have made them move when I bought the place but I agreed to let them finish out their lease even though I didn’t have to. After they moved out they tried to pull some scam and get me on the hook for their power bill for that entire time because I had used their power running the light in the garage for 2 days while i moved some of my stuff in to store it until they moved out. The second time the people moved in tothe other unit right after it had been renovated. they did so much damage, thousands of dollars worth. it was worse than before i renovated it. brand new carpets ruined, holes in the walls, floors and ceiling, every door broken in some way, brand new microwave and fridge trashed, and just full of filth and piles of mostly broken crap they left behind in every room. Of course the agency wouldn’t do anything but give them more money to move somewhere else. I will never rent to section 8 people again, not worth the risk.
hotspice58 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:21 pm It can work if the owner isn’t a slumlord. That’s where most of the problems with Section 8 housing come from.
Locked Previous topicNext topic