Section 8

RealisticBeauty
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It's very easy to discriminate against people without getting caught and I also wanted to add, that section 8 tenants tend to think that section 8 has more authority than the landlord over the property and a lot if times it felt like they did so that's another reason why we stop accepting it
Anonymous 13

Unread post

Anonymous 9 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:21 am Yes. I should be able to choose my renter based on his/her credit history, employment, ability to repay, previous rent history, etc., Positively.
Anonymous 8 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:13 am
Anonymous 9 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:48 pm I'm not referring to race or any form of discrimination. I'm simply saying that no landlord should be required to accept Section 8. And as I mentioned, if such a law is passed, I'm sure that many landlords will find a way to still choose their tenants. I don't condone discrimination. But I also think that as the owner of the property and the one that will have to collect the rent, I should be entitled to rent to whomever I most prefer.

You don't condone discrimination, but you should be entitled to rent to whomever you most prefer?
And you still can choose your tenant how YOU see fit...you can make the income requirement to where no section8 person will choose to live there, due to inability to fulfill income requirements
Anonymous 13

Unread post

RealisticBeauty wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:22 am It's very easy to discriminate against people without getting caught and I also wanted to add, that section 8 tenants tend to think that section 8 has more authority than the landlord over the property and a lot if times it felt like they did so that's another reason why we stop accepting it
You really shouldn't generalize people like that...'section 8 tenants'.....SMH...are they a foreign species or something?
RealisticBeauty
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 13 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:24 am
RealisticBeauty wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:22 am It's very easy to discriminate against people without getting caught and I also wanted to add, that section 8 tenants tend to think that section 8 has more authority than the landlord over the property and a lot if times it felt like they did so that's another reason why we stop accepting it
You really shouldn't generalize people like that...'section 8 tenants'.....SMH...are they a foreign species or something?
No but they are section 8 tenants so.... And whenever they call me the first thing they mention is section 8, whenever something goes bad the first thing mentioned is section 8. They seem to think section 8 has more authority.
Anonymous2.0
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:31 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:12 pm Many states are starting to pass laws that every landlord and apartment complexes have to accept section 8 housing vouchers. What do you think about that? Good idea or Violates a landlord right to refuse?
Landlords cant put No Section 8 in the ads but they can and will deny section 8 tenants if they choose to. They can use the prospective tenants credit score, past evictions, pets and other reasons to deny them. A lot of apartments and houses wont pass the section 8 inspections because they are pretty strigent. Things can be done in the aptartment to insure it wont pass inspections. Its going to be very difficult to prove the landlord is denying the tenant because of their section 8 status. Section 8 has a maximum amount of rent that they will approve on the lease, if the landlord demands a higher amount, section 8 cant legally force the landlord to accept the section 8 lease amount.
Doesn’t that end up screwing people who have to pay rent then? Like these apartments want $1000 per month but section 8 only pays $800-so the person paying out of pocket has to pay the inflated cost so the landlord can avoid section 8?
Anonymous 9

Unread post

Yes. I'm sure that's true, too. Bottom line is, as a landlord I'd be pulling a credit report and verifying employment and will rent to the tenant that I believe may be the most apt to pay and the least apt to destroy property. With any tenant, though, there's really no guarantee.
Anonymous 13 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:22 am
Anonymous 9 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:21 am Yes. I should be able to choose my renter based on his/her credit history, employment, ability to repay, previous rent history, etc., Positively.

You don't condone discrimination, but you should be entitled to rent to whomever you most prefer?
And you still can choose your tenant how YOU see fit...you can make the income requirement to where no section8 person will choose to live there, due to inability to fulfill income requirements
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 13 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:24 am
There is a mind set that comes with having that voucher, so referring to people who have that voucher as a sub set of renters is accurate. Yes, it is a generalization, but is very predominant.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 9 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:48 pm I'm not referring to race or any form of discrimination. I'm simply saying that no landlord should be required to accept Section 8. And as I mentioned, if such a law is passed, I'm sure that many landlords will find a way to still choose their tenants. I don't condone discrimination. But I also think that as the owner of the property and the one that will have to collect the rent, I should be entitled to rent to whomever I most prefer.
Anonymous 10 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:10 pm

Yeah, just like they do with race and other discrimination
Yes. And why shouldn't you be able to rent to who you most prefer? You have to deal with these people, trust them not to destroy your property, collect rent from them, trust that they're not going to try to build a case and sue you, trust that they're not going to be doing anything illegal in your property which will result in you getting it seized, trust that their children won't be flushing pads down the toilet that you have to dig out of your sump pump pit (yes this happened), not stuffing rubber gloves down you're drain then complaining their sink won't drain (yes, this happened).

There's a lot of risk being a landlord. Someone has to do it, otherwise those that can't qualify for a mortgage would be homeless or live in their cars. So yes, I have every right to mitigate my risk on my property that I have to pay a mortgage and taxes on.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Oliviasmom72
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

AZ will NEVER pass it. I will never accept Sec 8 esp in my city. The tenants, not all but some, are often trash
Anonymous 6

Unread post

hotspice58 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:17 am Where I used to live, the Section 8 tenants were decent. It was the slumlords that were crappy. and I've heard horror stories both about Section 8 and about high-end renters.

Anonymous 6 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:57 pm
hotspice58 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:21 pm It can work if the owner isn’t a slumlord. That’s where most of the problems with Section 8 housing come from.

There is a police car in front of the section 8 units on the corner of my street at least two nights a week for some issue or other. I'd like to know where you got your statistic because it doesn't match up with my experience.

Yeah, that's why I'm curious if you had any stats. And what they are. Seems like there are lots of anecdotal stories. But what do the stats say? Of course those can be biased as well.
Locked Previous topicNext topic