What would you have done?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:44 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:28 am
Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:19 am You're only allowed two bags of trash a week? What size are these bags?
Every other week, that works out to one bag a week. As long as they're not over 40lbs they can be regular size or contractor.
I was thinking kitchen size trash bags (13 gal, I think?). So basically the equivalent to one 33 gallon can per week?
Right.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:20 am You sound like a very unpleasant control freak. If I'm allowed two bags and I only had one out what would it hurt for a neighbor to put an extra bag there? We have city issued trash bins and if someone's is full I offer to let them put the extra in our's. They have done the same and none of us are that friendly or close, I guess we're just decent human beings.
I'm really not. I just don't like my neighbors dumping their garbage on my property without asking. I'm not so sure why it's so hard to just ask. We were literally out at the same time putting our stuff out, it would have taken a second to be like, "hey, we have some extra garbage can we put it with yours?" What is so hard about that? I'm legitimately asking you. I wouldn't do that without asking, it's rude. What if they don't take it? Then I'M on the Hook to get rid of it.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:57 am My mother does this! Except she made arrangements prior with several of the neighbors. Distributes a portion of her trash into each of their bins and doesn't pay for her own trash service at all. I'd be mortified to ask myself! Especially since she's not hurting financially.

In your case I wouldn't say anything unless it keeps happening or creates a mess. But maybe part of that is my perspective living in a city neighborhood - so much trash gets tossed on the sidewalk or in my landscaping that I'm more than happy if they put it in my trash bin instead.
I do live in a city. I've had people dump their bins into my yard. Like no just stuff that got away from the bin, like full on dumped it because they can't sort their stuff properly.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:24 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:06 am
Olioxenfree wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:48 am
We work hard to keep our trash down. The environment is important.
Right? I didn't see how that meant I needed therapy lol
She's really not a good example, Lena needs extensive therapy too.
I don't pay that much attention to members on this site. Maybe you need therapy too, you're becoming too obsessed with random people on the internet.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:28 am You can only put out two bags every OTHER week?? Omg that would be awful. We have a bin full of 4-5 garbage bags every week.
Holy crap! That's a lot of garbage! Glad I don't have that much, I couldn't imagine. Even when I wasn't conscious about the waste we created never had anywhere near that amount. I'm lucky to have a full bag by the end of the month.
Honestly, once you put things into the recycling and the food scraps into the green bin there really isn't much to put into the trash. Most of ours is just nighttime diapers from my youngest.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:41 pm
Anonymous 5 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:28 am You can only put out two bags every OTHER week?? Omg that would be awful. We have a bin full of 4-5 garbage bags every week.
Holy crap! That's a lot of garbage! Glad I don't have that much, I couldn't imagine. Even when I wasn't conscious about the waste we created never had anywhere near that amount. I'm lucky to have a full bag by the end of the month.
Honestly, once you put things into the recycling and the food scraps into the green bin there really isn't much to put into the trash. Most of ours is just nighttime diapers from my youngest.
We are the same. Most items go into the green bin, blue boxes or yard waste bag. We have two every other week but one of the bags is not even half full.
For those that have a lot of bags do you not have green bins or blue bins?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:52 pm
We are the same. Most items go into the green bin, blue boxes or yard waste bag. We have two every other week but one of the bags is not even half full.
We can put out unlimited amounts of green bins and recycling, but for garbage you need to purchase tags or bring it to the city dump yourself and pay there.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:36 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:57 am My mother does this! Except she made arrangements prior with several of the neighbors. Distributes a portion of her trash into each of their bins and doesn't pay for her own trash service at all. I'd be mortified to ask myself! Especially since she's not hurting financially.

In your case I wouldn't say anything unless it keeps happening or creates a mess. But maybe part of that is my perspective living in a city neighborhood - so much trash gets tossed on the sidewalk or in my landscaping that I'm more than happy if they put it in my trash bin instead.
I do live in a city. I've had people dump their bins into my yard. Like no just stuff that got away from the bin, like full on dumped it because they can't sort their stuff properly.

Well I know I'm getting out of my neighborhood as soon as I can sell so I don't have to deal with this anymore! I want a nicer neighborhood where people dont just walk down the sidewalk and toss the trash from the 7-11 junk they just ate in my flowers everyday. Or their beer cans.

I had someone dump a bunch of concrete chunks over the fence into my backyard because those arent included in the regular city pickup and there is a fee to collect that stuff. So rather than pay the fee to have it removed, they made it my problem. Things that seem innocuous like a bag of trash do have the potential to become bigger problems in places like these.

I'm an easygoing enough person to let something like what happened to you slide once as long as it didn't create issues for me, but I wouldn't like it one bit if it became a pattern and I do think there is potential for it to create problems. If it happens again I'd say something but for now I'd probably still let it go.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:17 pm
highlandmum wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:52 pm

We can put out unlimited amounts of green bins and recycling, but for garbage you need to purchase tags or bring it to the city dump yourself and pay there.
Sounds like my city. We still have the free ones we were given back from 2016 (I believe). We do have double days, like after Christmas, spring clean up week and one in the fall where we can double the number of garbage bags we have.
Deleted User 876

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:04 am Today is garbage day in our neighborhood (garbage is picked up every other week, if that matters, probably not lol). We can put out two bags. I work really hard to keep our waste to a minimum, so we only had about a half bag of garbage this time.

When it was time to walk to school I noticed we had an extra bag of garbage sitting at the end of our driveway. I went and got a pair of the disposable gloves I have sitting around from my last job (sounds gross, but it's really cold here so I wasn't worried about smells or stuff getting on me because it's all frozen). Turns out it was my neighbors across the road. I put it back at the end of their driveway with their garbage.
Now, I would have said something this morning, but they weren't home.
I'm not close to these neighbors, we might say hi in passing, occasionally our kids will play together, but not really.. if they had asked, I'd have been fine with it, but don't dump your garbage at my house and just assume it's ok. That's what doesn't sit right with me. I feel if I don't address it, it could potentially snowball into them thinking leaving other stuff is ok.. maybe I'm just a bitch, I don't know.

What would you have done?
If they had asked me beforehand and explained why they couldn't afford to pay for their own extra bag, I'd likely have been fine with it. But to cheap out by just putting the bag at the end of my driveway without even asking - nope, I'd have done the same thing.
Locked Previous topicNext topic