Would this make you feel angry?

Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Yes, but that doesn’t mean you should expect them to talk amongst themselves in English just because you’re there. I’m pretty sure that while they’ll speak in English to the English speaking client, once they turn around to talk to their fellow server or the captain, or the sommelier, they do it in Spanish, even in front of the client.
And the client shouldn’t expect otherwise.
That'swhatshesaid wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:40 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:35 pm I wonder if people like this do any traveling. I mean, do they expect service providers everywhere to start talking in English amongst themselves in their presence? Like, why?
Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:31 pm

I think you're completely wrong and luckily many people disagree with you. The best shops in our town with the most professional service have techs who speak in their native language and no one gets all uppity about it. They are not your friends having a meal with you, they're providing you a service and having a conversation with their coworker that you are not a part of. I think you're the one acting like a rude entitled jackass, thinking you're entitled to their conversation.
I've been to Mexico twice and most of the staff at the resorts spoke English.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It could be a professional conversation and still not be something that the client has to hear about. They could be asking them to hand them some polish or passing along a message from the owner. I also don't think that it is unprofessional for someone I am a client for to ask their coworker if they think it's going to rain later in front of me. When my grandfather is at work, he speaks English to English speaking patrons, but he speaks in Japanese to his coworkers. This isn't to be exclusive and he isn't being unprofessional, he does it because he is still learning English as are some of his coworkers and it's faster and more efficient to say it in their native language. He works in the restaurant business, with raw fish that is being served, so it is important for safety and for efficiency that messages are passed along clearly. He doesn't want to misunderstand what kind of fish someone ordered and mess up their order or misspeak when passing along a safety-related instruction like something allergy related.
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:36 pm For starters, professionalism would dictate that the worker should be giving her undivided attention to her client. If the conversation doesn't pertain to the client, it shouldn't be had at all...in English or in any other language.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:27 pm Why not? If the conversation doesn’t concern you, why should they stop using the language they’re more comfortable using?
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:25 pm I just read the response you are referring to. I want to reiterate that I see nothing wrong with two workers (who aren't working on me) speaking with one another in their native language.

I would only take issue with them doing that if either one of them was working on me at the time. The minute one of them is working on me, none of the workers should be speaking to my technician in anything other than the language that I understand.

Anonymous 2

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:48 pm Yes, but that doesn’t mean you should expect them to talk amongst themselves in English just because you’re there. I’m pretty sure that while they’ll speak in English to the English speaking client, once they turn around to talk to their fellow server or the captain, or the sommelier, they do it in Spanish, even in front of the client.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:35 pm I wonder if people like this do any traveling. I mean, do they expect service providers everywhere to start talking in English amongst themselves in their presence? Like, why?

That's perfectly fine and not rude at all, imo
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:45 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:28 pm

Of course you do, Im not surprised.
Like I said, a respectful professional business owner that values their customers business won't allow their employees to speak another language while servicing customers, not all business owners are like that. If you are in a group setting at a table and a few people start speaking another language knowing the rest of the party doesn't speak or understand that language, they are rude entitled jackasses. If you are at a large party and a few people start speaking another language as you pass by that's not rude because you aren't a party to that conversation
I think you're completely wrong and luckily many people disagree with you. The best shops in our town with the most professional service have techs who speak in their native language and no one gets all uppity about it. They are not your friends having a meal with you, they're providing you a service and having a conversation with their coworker that you are not a part of. I think you're the one acting like a rude entitled jackass, thinking you're entitled to their conversation.
Im not the one acting like a rude entitled jackass making excuses for rude manners by saying its okay for people to speak in another language because they are learning english or they are chatting about their life or they are making lunch plans. I live in one of the best areas of the country and most people here aren't that rude and entitled but where you live.........
How are they entitled for speaking in their own language? You're the one saying you are entitled to their conversation. What area of the country is this?
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:52 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:48 pm Yes, but that doesn’t mean you should expect them to talk amongst themselves in English just because you’re there. I’m pretty sure that while they’ll speak in English to the English speaking client, once they turn around to talk to their fellow server or the captain, or the sommelier, they do it in Spanish, even in front of the client.

So you're just being a troll because that's the opposite of what you just said before...
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Then why is it rude for 2 hairstylists to talk in their native language just because you’re there and don’t understand it? It’s the same thing. If the conversation doesn’t concern you, if they’re not talking TO you, then it doesn’t matter in which language they’re speaking to each other.
Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:52 pm

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
That'swhatshesaid
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I never said I did. I said if they're having a private conversation they need to keep it that way. If I want to say something private to my coworker, I don't start talking about it in front of members as if they're not there.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

My hairdresser doesn't have side conversations in front of me.
And I don't care who my surgeon talks to when I'm under anesthesia. lol

I just think it's really unprofessional to have side conversations while you have a client.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:44 pm Depends on the service and the type of conversation. I see nothing wrong with two hairstylists having a conversation while dyeing hair. It doesn’t detract from their attention and not every customer is interested in having a conversation with their hairstylist. I’m perfectly comfortable with mine just letting me read my book in peace while she does my hair. If in the meantime she’s telling her friend about the restaurant she went to, great. Even doctors during surgery sometimes have a minute or 2 of personal conversation.
And the conversation doesn’t have to be personal. It could be one asking a work related question or relating a work related message.
Now, if you’re trying to get service and it’s just not happening because the 2 workers are just chatting away, that’s unacceptable. Even if they’re doing it in your language.
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:36 pm For starters, professionalism would dictate that the worker should be giving her undivided attention to her client. If the conversation doesn't pertain to the client, it shouldn't be had at all...in English or in any other language.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:27 pm Why not? If the conversation doesn’t concern you, why should they stop using the language they’re more comfortable using?

Anonymous 2

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:52 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:45 pm

Im not the one acting like a rude entitled jackass making excuses for rude manners by saying its okay for people to speak in another language because they are learning english or they are chatting about their life or they are making lunch plans. I live in one of the best areas of the country and most people here aren't that rude and entitled but where you live.........
How are they entitled for speaking in their own language? You're the one saying you are entitled to their conversation. What area of the country is this?
Go back and read my replies carefully, Im not repeating my self again lena. You are trying to twist what I said to suit your purposes but anyone that can read will see that.
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:58 pm My hairdresser doesn't have side conversations in front of me.
And I don't care who my surgeon talks to when I'm under anesthesia. lol

I just think it's really unprofessional to have side conversations while you have a client.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:44 pm Depends on the service and the type of conversation. I see nothing wrong with two hairstylists having a conversation while dyeing hair. It doesn’t detract from their attention and not every customer is interested in having a conversation with their hairstylist. I’m perfectly comfortable with mine just letting me read my book in peace while she does my hair. If in the meantime she’s telling her friend about the restaurant she went to, great. Even doctors during surgery sometimes have a minute or 2 of personal conversation.
And the conversation doesn’t have to be personal. It could be one asking a work related question or relating a work related message.
Now, if you’re trying to get service and it’s just not happening because the 2 workers are just chatting away, that’s unacceptable. Even if they’re doing it in your language.

I’d rather side conversations than making small talk with me in some situations.
I don’t think every thing is my business.
I don’t see why anyone should sit in silence because I don’t feel like chit chat
Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, 'cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.
Locked Previous topicNext topic