Would this make you feel angry?

Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

If people were speaking in a language you don't know, not to you, but having a private conversation around you? For example, two employees who are stocking shelves in a grocery store, a group of people standing in line behind you waiting to be seated at a restaurant, you're babysitting and are making dinner while the kids are playing legos in the next room and you hear the kids start to speak to each other, or you work at a school and during free-time a group of kids start speaking to each other. I'm just trying to understand this line of thinking.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I wouldn't have an issue with it.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:58 pm If people were speaking in a language you don't know, not to you, but having a private conversation around you? For example, two employees who are stocking shelves in a grocery store, a group of people standing in line behind you waiting to be seated at a restaurant, you're babysitting and are making dinner while the kids are playing legos in the next room and you hear the kids start to speak to each other, or you work at a school and during free-time a group of kids start speaking to each other. I'm just trying to understand this line of thinking.
No, not if I didn't know them or if I wasn't in a group setting with them.
But I've been at a party or in a restaurant with a group of people and two or more would start talking in their language knowing full well the rest of us don't speak that gibberish. I just tell them to speak English because its rude to speak in another language the rest of don't understand and they know it.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:02 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:58 pm If people were speaking in a language you don't know, not to you, but having a private conversation around you? For example, two employees who are stocking shelves in a grocery store, a group of people standing in line behind you waiting to be seated at a restaurant, you're babysitting and are making dinner while the kids are playing legos in the next room and you hear the kids start to speak to each other, or you work at a school and during free-time a group of kids start speaking to each other. I'm just trying to understand this line of thinking.
But I've been at a party or in a restaurant with a group of people and two or more would start talking in their language knowing full well the rest of us don't speak that gibberish. I just tell them to speak English because its rude to speak in another language the rest of don'r understand and they know it.
Another language isn't gibberish... are you talking about you're in a group of like five people and two will start talking in front of everyone else or you're at a party and you walk by two people speaking in another language?
stilltfez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

in the context you listed, no. I'd be fine with it.
Total absence of humor renders life impossible
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:03 pm
But I've been at a party or in a restaurant with a group of people and two or more would start talking in their language knowing full well the rest of us don't speak that gibberish. I just tell them to speak English because its rude to speak in another language the rest of don'r understand and they know it.
Another language isn't gibberish...
It is if the people are speaking the language to be rude on purpose knowing full well no one else speaks that language at the table
CandTmom
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Where I work 90% of the people speak a language I don't understand. I don't really care.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Another language isn't gibberish... are you talking about you're in a group of like five people and two will start talking in front of everyone else or you're at a party and you walk by two people speaking in another language?
Like I stated in the reply, if I was at a restaurant with a group of people sitting at the same table with me and others at the same table started talking in another language knowing full well the rest of don't speak that language at all.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Allow me to be the first to say, I AGREE WITH ANON2!

I see nothing wrong with the scenarios that were listed in the original post. But if there's a group of co-workers sitting around a dinner table and 2 employees start speaking to one another in a language that no one else at the table understands, it is no different than if they had blatantly whispered in front of the other employees.

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:12 pm

Like I stated in the reply, if I was at a restaurant with a group of people sitting at the same table with me and others at the same table started talking in another language knowing full well the rest of don't speak that language at all.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

I agree with Anon 2
Locked Previous topicNext topic