Would this make you feel angry?

Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:59 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:52 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:45 pm

Im not the one acting like a rude entitled jackass making excuses for rude manners by saying its okay for people to speak in another language because they are learning english or they are chatting about their life or they are making lunch plans. I live in one of the best areas of the country and most people here aren't that rude and entitled but where you live.........
How are they entitled for speaking in their own language? You're the one saying you are entitled to their conversation. What area of the country is this?
Go back and read my replies carefully, Im not repeating my self again lena. You are trying to twist what I said to suit your purposes but anyone that can read will see that.
Go back and read your own replies. You were very clear. The fact that you called me that shows you are indeed a troll.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

As I said, maybe “private” wasn’t the best word to use. “Personal” is a better word. Just because 2 people hold a conversation in another language it doesn’t mean it’s a matter that should be addressed in private. It may be a simple question or, as I said, just making plans for later on and it’s perfectly OK if they do that in their native language. Just because 2 people have a conversation in the presence of others does that mean it concerns everyone present at the time.

Just this Saturday I was sitting with other people at a table and a friend of mine approached me and asked me if it would be OK for her son to ask mine to go with them on vacation next week. No need to pull me aside to ask me that, it was a question, I answered, she stayed there for a few minutes telling me about the house they’ll be staying in and that’s that. Was it rude that we had that conversation with others there? No. Everyone continued with their own conversations, actually. So why would it have been rude if we both spoke another language and had that conversation in that language? It would’ve been the same thing. Our personal conversation didn’t involve anyone else, but it doesn’t mean it was private.

I’ve actually been on the other side as well. Many in our synagogue speak Hebrew as a first language and sometimes a group of us will be together and someone approaches and says something to another Hebrew speaker, probably along the lines of my previous example. I don’t get offended or think they’re rude, even if my Hebrew is rusty. Their conversation doesn’t concern me and they’re perfectly entitled to have it in any language that suits them.
That'swhatshesaid wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:56 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:48 pm Yes, but that doesn’t mean you should expect them to talk amongst themselves in English just because you’re there. I’m pretty sure that while they’ll speak in English to the English speaking client, once they turn around to talk to their fellow server or the captain, or the sommelier, they do it in Spanish, even in front of the client.
And the client shouldn’t expect otherwise.
That'swhatshesaid wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:40 pm

I've been to Mexico twice and most of the staff at the resorts spoke English.
I never said I did. I said if they're having a private conversation they need to keep it that way. If I want to say something private to my coworker, I don't start talking about it in front of members as if they're not there.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:04 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:52 pm

How are they entitled for speaking in their own language? You're the one saying you are entitled to their conversation. What area of the country is this?
Go back and read my replies carefully, Im not repeating my self again lena. You are trying to twist what I said to suit your purposes but anyone that can read will see that.
Go back and read your own replies. You were very clear. The fact that you called me that shows you are indeed a troll.
Pretty sure you called me a rude entitled jackass first lena, now run along and make another troll post. You are short today
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Nope.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:07 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:04 pm

Pretty sure you called me a rude entitled jackass first lena, now run along and make another troll post. You are short today
No, you said it first, read your own post.
Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 9.10.11 PM.png
Anonymous 3

Unread post

My initial conversation with you was about conversations among salon technicians. Whatever it is that one technician might want to tell my technician can't be that urgent that it can't wait a half hour when my service will have been completed. Don't interrupt. It's rude unless the place is on fire.

I work in an industry where the customer is the priority and my employer would go ballistic if other employees inserted themselves into my interactions with my clients. Whatever it is that needs to be conveyed to me can wait until I am finished with my client.
Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:51 pm It could be a professional conversation and still not be something that the client has to hear about. They could be asking them to hand them some polish or passing along a message from the owner. I also don't think that it is unprofessional for someone I am a client for to ask their coworker if they think it's going to rain later in front of me. When my grandfather is at work, he speaks English to English speaking patrons, but he speaks in Japanese to his coworkers. This isn't to be exclusive and he isn't being unprofessional, he does it because he is still learning English as are some of his coworkers and it's faster and more efficient to say it in their native language. He works in the restaurant business, with raw fish that is being served, so it is important for safety and for efficiency that messages are passed along clearly. He doesn't want to misunderstand what kind of fish someone ordered and mess up their order or misspeak when passing along a safety-related instruction like something allergy related.
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:36 pm For starters, professionalism would dictate that the worker should be giving her undivided attention to her client. If the conversation doesn't pertain to the client, it shouldn't be had at all...in English or in any other language.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:27 pm Why not? If the conversation doesn’t concern you, why should they stop using the language they’re more comfortable using?

Anonymous 3

Unread post

I agree.
Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:52 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:48 pm Yes, but that doesn’t mean you should expect them to talk amongst themselves in English just because you’re there. I’m pretty sure that while they’ll speak in English to the English speaking client, once they turn around to talk to their fellow server or the captain, or the sommelier, they do it in Spanish, even in front of the client.

That's perfectly fine and not rude at all, imo
Anonymous 3

Unread post

BINGO!
That'swhatshesaid wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:56 pm

I never said I did. I said if they're having a private conversation they need to keep it that way. If I want to say something private to my coworker, I don't start talking about it in front of members as if they're not there.
Rosehawk
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:58 pm If people were speaking in a language you don't know, not to you, but having a private conversation around you?

For example, two employees who are stocking shelves in a grocery store, No
a group of people standing in line behind you waiting to be seated at a restaurant, No
you're babysitting and are making dinner while the kids are playing legos in the next room and you hear the kids start to speak to each other, Yes
or you work at a school and during free-time a group of kids start speaking to each other. Yes

I'm just trying to understand this line of thinking.
If it is my job to ensure the safety and well being of a kid, or a group of kids, I cannot do that if I don't know what they're saying. Adults, I may get slightly annoyed, depending on how my day's going, but they're not my concern.
I used to be a people person
Then people ruined it
Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Okay, so at my new job about half of the employees speak Mandarin. And no, I have not yet been angry in any situation I've been in where other employees are speaking and I cannot understand them.

That said, I find it a little odd when I am in the room and a group is speaking in English, and then when that particular topic of conversation ends, folks switch over to Mandarin. It doesn't make me angry. It doesn't even make me uncomfortable; I'm not so self-absorbed as to think that the switch is in any way related to my inability to understand. However, I don't think it is a choice I would personally make, and I find it curious that others do it. I don't think it's necessarily rude. But it's not a fully courteous thing to do either and I very much value being courteous in my interactions.

All that being as it may, I am in the market for a Mandarin Phrase of the Day Calendar : - )
Don't text while driving. Don''t text while stopped at stop signs and traffic lights. You're not a four year old...exercise some self-control.
Locked Previous topicNext topic